Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

General discussion about the game.
BirdofPrey

Re: Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

Postby BirdofPrey » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:14 am

Ran into an event that had an ASB and was boarded. I had to retreat to the med bay to keep from dying and had a couple others moving about trying to repair damage. Suddenly the ASB hits right through the medbay, and while it did solve my problem with boarders it killed all but one crew member.
Ghaleon

Postby Ghaleon » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:40 am

Sounds like a lie, but it's not... I was in sector 2, in a nebula, having a great as fuu game, got a transporter and 3 extra crew already, and was able to board defeat many ships already for extra scraps. I was already at the point where I felt like I could explore an extra beacon or two at the risk of asb attacks at the exit beacon because I was so uber.

But anyway, I get to that nebula (wasn't a nebula sector, was a rock with a nebula in it), and inside is an ion storm. Normally I LIKE ion storms when I'm having a good game, because that means I have extra reactor slots, which means I probably have proportionately more juice to use in such a battle than the enemy. What's especially good is that since I had a great boarding team, which uses the least amount of power, I could have my shields fully powered at 2 hits taken, without starving my ship of oxygen. I pity the sucker ship that had to encounter my energy-efficient overpowered monster!..

Remember, this is sector 2 only, and it's an ion storm... I see the ship, and the dude actually has power for:
1: Two shield bars + zolton shields
2: a breach missle (maybe hermes, I think breach though since it burned and punched holes in my ship every shot)
3: ion stunner
4: burst laser charger
5: hacking bay
6: evidently tons of engine power since I shot at the thing like 16 times and only hit it 4 times, I never even took out the zolton shields before the breach missles had fires everywhere and no oxygen in my ship from all the effing holes.. note it killed my life support first, then my bridge.

how the crap did a ship in sector 2 manage to power all that crap in an ion storm? seriously?! I wasn't even playing on hard, this was just normal. I don't get it. I never felt so abused since meeting warmech by accident before getting the fourth orb in Final fantasy 1.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:51 pm

Ciurrioc wrote:Isn't it a bitch to get outclassed out of nowhere every now and then? anyone get lucky and pulled through events like that?

All the time :) If it wasn't for those runs I may not even still be playing this game.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Nukeknockout

Postby Nukeknockout » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:18 am

This picture.

I'm playing the Simo-H, and I've been to five stores now. Lots of drones, crew, and weapons but zero systems of any kind. On the plus side, if I ever manage to get shields, my secondary defenses will be set for the rest of the run.

EDIT: And my luck turned around! The next store stocked both a shield and a weapon pre-igniter. That I unfortunately had to sell a Hull Beam for, but I don't really regret that. Next task: general reactor and ship upgrades.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:47 am

My ship is cursed with awesome as I will never have enough power to use them all once. :cry:

Nukeknockout

Postby Nukeknockout » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:08 am

I was playing Rock C, and by pure coincidence I gained an Anti-bio beam, Mantis, and BL3 by the end of Sector 2. Then, in Sector 3, a Zoltan spawned with a Hermes and Mind Control then immediately hit my engines, oxygen, cockpit, engines in that order quickly putting what should have been a world-beating run to a swift and ignominious end.
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:13 am

After a cosmic event made my savegame unplayable and apparently also wiped my scores and all unlocked ships, I started once again from scratch.

It was a really good run, the first on Hard that was flowing smoothly. I purchased an Ion Blast II early on and got Hacking, Cloak, Teleporter and an Ion Blast, which I eventually replaced with a Charge Ion, because it fires faster, complemented by a Heavy Laser and the stock Burst Laser Mk II. Four shields, six engines, eight trained crew members, it was a blast and the flagship not a problem at all.

I lost my two human boarders in flagship incarnation 1, when I could have sworn it had more than 3 hull left, but I was obviously too tired to count, I killed the boarders with a Burst Laser Mk II salvo together with incarnation 1. Well, no problem, almost no damage taken. Incarnation 2: I lost my captain to the second boarding drone, and eventhough I had the Slug Repair Gel augment, he suffocated in his cockpit, I didn't pay proper attention. No problem, I got another guy with maxed piloting and five crew isn't too bad for the last flagship incarnation, still not more than 5 or 6 hull damage taken. Incarnation 3: I forget to shoot my lasers at the Zoltan shield, and the ions miss quite often. I cloak the first missile salvo and the Zoltan shield is still up. A mind-controlled Engi meticulously unscrews everything in the shield room, and the laser surge has a 100% hit rate, I take 7 damage. Now the Zoltan shield is down, but my ions cannot bring the shields down, they miss 3 out of 4 shots, not enough to go below 3 bubbles. I'm still waiting to fire my lasers. Enemy crew (5) beams onboard, but I manage to control them with my remaining crew, the captain is always in the cockpit, evasion 35% (had to evacuate the engine room because of fire, and took 2 damage). Can't cloak next missile salvo, which hits cloak, shields and hacking, everything is burning. 10 damage taken. Laser surge hits almost at the same time, again 100% hits (I still got 35% evasion). Still three shields up, so 17 damage taken. I quickly send crew to repair cloak and shields, next missile salvo hits for 3 damage again, of coarse the cloak is down again. 20 damage taken, only about 6 hull left. Next laser surge hits me only about six times, 3 hull left. Cloak is hit again, but almost repaired. Next missile salvo, at least one should miss, still 35% evasion! Nope, all hit, ship is gone. During the whole fight, I managed to not scratch one hull off the flagship, my invincible combination of Ion Blast II and Charge Ion misses roughly 6 out of 7 shots and during the whole fight never brought down the shields below 3. I desparately fired Burst Laser II and Heavy Laser at 3 shields twice, but they didn't penetrate.

My best run on Hard so far (despite the earlier victories) is soundly crushed by the flagships super super evasion and super super accuracy - at least I scored more than 5500 points :P
Random Commander

Postby Random Commander » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:18 pm

I remember I got my hands on AE the first time, I immediately had the Lanius A ship unlocked and can't wait to use the clone bay...

First instance where I lost a crewmember is when I went to an abandoned station that had some sort of disease, the crew turned off the clonebay to prevent the sickness from spreading.

Second instance a crew member turned traitor, Clone bays don't count traitors as lost crew!

Third instance I accidentally pressed 1 on a slaver demanding crew and lost my last Lanius crew member, effectively ending the game.

Needless to say, my expectations for the clone bay went SO LOW that I didn't bother getting a clone bay NOR playing a ship with a clone bay in it for 3 straight days.
lee99

Postby lee99 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:29 pm

I attacked a boarder with 4 crew members at once,
they killed him but got stunned by an ion and were stuck in a room
without oxygen slowly suffocating, 2 died and 2 were about to run away
but got hit by a rocket :cry: .
That's how I lost 4 crew members at once.
Mendel

Postby Mendel » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:54 pm

So I had just had the event where my engi turns into virus with all skills maxed, the very next battle occurs in an asteroid field. At one point I turn off the o2 system to get extra power for my weapons and shields. when my oxygen is at about 20%, the enemy gets some shots through and destroys my o2 system so I cant turn it back on. Of course I only realize this when I get the beep beep sounds that my crew are starting to die.

So, I send my crew of 4 to med bay, 3 of them sitting there and one I micro to travel back and forth inside the room, (pausing the game whenever he reaches a door) to stay alive, my plan is to kill the enemy ship (This takes some time) and then upgrade my med bay so that I can get more health and repair the o2 system.

Except after the battle I realize... Of course! I can´t upgrade in an asteroid field! So I have to jump out... but theres no oxygen and almost all crew are at very low health... except... virus has about 30% health. he might just make it to pilot room! So I walk virus to pilot room, jump to next system and thankfully theres no enemy there. I quickly upgrade the med bay... but virus dies on his way back to med bay. However, My remaining crew of 3 survive and two of them fix the o2 system. But of course, Virus is dead 2 jumps after I got him :?