Do you quit?

General discussion about the game.
Gecimen

Do you quit?

Postby Gecimen » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:47 pm

I'm sure this question has been asked several hundred times but I'm new.

Right now I'm going for the last ship unlock, which is Rock, and I know the fight can be a tough one, so I'm preparing myself.

What I'd like to ask is, when you don't make a good start or when something terribly goes wrong mid-game, such as losing 2 of your precious crew, do you quit or do you try to make a comeback till the last breath?
Last edited by Gecimen on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Captain

Re: Do you quit?

Postby The Captain » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:42 pm

Generally, no. I keep trying until I succeed, or get blown up, or my last guy suffocates while trying to repair. You never know, you just might be able to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Or you might learn how to play on the edge of losing, so you might succeed the next time that happens.

The only times I've quit were when my only goal was unlocking the ?? cruiser, which sometimes just isn't possible if you can't reach the right sector.
JonasTheRoman

Postby JonasTheRoman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:27 pm

I also don't quit normally (unless I have a very bad start which happened a few times).
It can be very exiting continuing when you are in a bad condition, those near-dead fighting is really intense, like The Captain already said.

I see another problem in quiting: If you are trying hard to get one cruiser and starting over and over again the game feels more like a grind or something - the fun gets lost.
So I would recommend you to make the best out of the situation ( e.g. I am trying to get a score as high as possible if I already know I won't make it to the Final Stand).
itg

Postby itg » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:21 pm

I used to quit after a bad start when my goal was to get just one win with a particular ship, but now I am at the point where I can win reliably enough that I care about win percentage, or at least maintaining the current win streak.

I also quit 50-100 games when trying to unlock the Crystal ship, and I'm willing to restart as necessary if I'm trying to get a particular achievement.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:42 am

I too used to quit after a bad start, back when I thought the point of this game was to beat the final boss. But then I realized that the point of this game is not to beat the Flagship, but to REACH it. Any ship that can reach the Flagship can likely beat it, so when you quit when the going gets tough, you're robbing yourself of the gameplay that you loaded the game to get.

Now, if going for a specific unlock I'd happily quit as soon as the conditions for that unlock were shown to be impossible or highly improbable. I remember when I tried to unlock the Crystal Cruiser I frequently quit right after reaching the end point in the first sector, when I saw the sector map and therefore knew that there was no way I'd find an engi sector followed by a zoltan sector followed by a rock homeworld sector in this run.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Gecimen

Postby Gecimen » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:04 am

JonasTheRoman wrote:I see another problem in quiting: If you are trying hard to get one cruiser and starting over and over again the game feels more like a grind or something - the fun gets lost.
So I would recommend you to make the best out of the situation ( e.g. I am trying to get a score as high as possible if I already know I won't make it to the Final Stand).

Exactly this. In my first 20 games, I unlocked almost everything so easily and without really getting out of my way and everything was fun.

Then for the last remaining few unlocks&achievements I played some more games and done them easily. That was OK.

But for this Rock ship, I've restarted around 10 times (mostly after sector 5-6) and I don't only feel grindy but also nervous... One side of me wants to study the best ship - weapon combo for the rock ship, the other side tells me to let it slip and maybe retry when the enhanced edition arrives...
Elhazzared

Postby Elhazzared » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:01 pm

I tend to quit on either a really crapy start because if I enter the first or second fight and take critical damage or lose a crew memger, I generally find it's not worth continuing and restarting doesn't hurs cause I barely started... You may say it's in the jorney, but a very crapy start only leaves sour taste... If things start going south later I don't mind, but right at the beggining... just no.

I also restart and recently started to even save scum to try and get the damned crystal cruiser which is nearly impossible to get. Even on save scuming I am not getting any dense asteroid field events at all even after flying through 4 sectors of the right type. It's like, there is only 1 to 3 distress signals and never the event I'm looking for. Incredibly frustating... Now some people say that I'd be robbing myself of the fun by grinding it like that and yeah they are right, this is not fun. But I don't even like any of the rock cruisers, I just want to have all cruisers open so that I can enjoy my play with any I want... The developers did a fantastic job of a game but really, the level of RNG required for this cruiser was the point where they failed. It's ridiculous. If they wanted to make a non consequential ridiculous level of RNG archievment... Sure, but c'mon, not to unlock a ship.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."

For my Let's play series of FTL please follow the Link
Gecimen

Postby Gecimen » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:07 pm

Elhazzared wrote:I also restart and recently started to even save scum to try and get the damned crystal cruiser which is nearly impossible to get. Even on save scuming I am not getting any dense asteroid field events at all even after flying through 4 sectors of the right type. It's like, there is only 1 to 3 distress signals and never the event I'm looking for. Incredibly frustating... Now some people say that I'd be robbing myself of the fun by grinding it like that and yeah they are right, this is not fun. But I don't even like any of the rock cruisers, I just want to have all cruisers open so that I can enjoy my play with any I want... The developers did a fantastic job of a game but really, the level of RNG required for this cruiser was the point where they failed. It's ridiculous. If they wanted to make a non consequential ridiculous level of RNG archievment... Sure, but c'mon, not to unlock a ship.

As I said in another thread, I encounter both the dense asteroid distress call event and the zoltan research facility very very often. Crystal cruiser was the 3rd ship I unlocked after Engi and Zoltan cruisers.
Elhazzared

Postby Elhazzared » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:30 pm

well after many tries I managed to get one dense asteroid field. I was feeling lucky, got it on sector 2 and got the crystal guy on sector 3, then I had 4 red sectors ahead... Not a rock homeworld in sight in any of them. The RNG is just ridiculous and quite frankly it isn't just the RNG which is ridiculous, it's that the developers haven't bothered to actually do anything about making this cruiser obtainable in a less RNG way... Hopefully the update that is coming (late as it is) will also address this issue.

I have 43 hours sunk into this game (acording to steam, in reallity it's more like 50, steam never counts the hours right in any game). I also have way over 100 hours sunk into this game prior to buying it on steam... At very least 70 hours of gameplay have been me trying to get the crystal cruiser. ... The problem isn't that getting the cruiser is hard. I could understand giving me an actual challange. But sayin, roll a d100 until you get 100 3 times in a row is just ridiculous.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."

For my Let's play series of FTL please follow the Link
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:12 pm

Elhazzared wrote:... quite frankly it isn't just the RNG which is ridiculous, it's that the developers haven't bothered to actually do anything about making this cruiser obtainable in a less RNG way...

Actually, they did - they put a quest beacon in the Rock Homeworlds sector.