'lo devs - what gives?

General discussion about the game.
helix

'lo devs - what gives?

Postby helix » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:45 pm

Seriously I loved this game to bits first time I saw it but you really piss me off,

Now allow me to elaborate:
apparently your save slot is deleted when you continue game - to prevent cheating I presume?
BUT
A:Why do you even care if I or anyone else wish to ''compromise'' our roguelike expirience,
Ironman mode ein't for everyone - especially on their first couple of runs.

and

B:Fix your game! Even if you don't pull such drakonian crap on your players atleast allow for a backup save for when your game either crashes or simply freezes..

Sure it doesn't happen too often but due to your ''design choices'' it hurts *every* time..
Losing your trained crew and upgraded ship due to your stupidity is annoying, humbling even - losing it due to stupidity of others is simply infuriating.

Now I like this game, I really do but seriously why don't you make a simple Iron mode or whatever you wish to call it and give us our choice how we wish to play - the bottom line being why must I choose between manually backing up my saves and getting an ulcer due to your ''rogue cred'' or whatever.
geldonyetich

Re: 'lo devs - what gives?

Postby geldonyetich » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:53 pm

Can't say I've overmuch sympathy for a proponent of unabashed save scumming. Catering to this instant-gratification mentality is a small, but significant reason why PC gaming is in decline.

Like Binding of Isaac, FTL just wasn't designed to win every time. Stuff's supposed to go wrong, and the whole game is about coping with that. Activating the OOC time machine every time an event eats a crew member is not "non-ironman" mode: it's just plain cheating. But, if you really wanna ruin the game for yourself, I'm sure you can devise the means to back up your save before continuing.

Crashes and lockups, however, I can sympathise with. Now, I have not had this happen once, after three games, so perhaps you have some incompatibility issues. Drivers updated? What GPU you using? Running overclocked?
Last edited by geldonyetich on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
curithwin

Postby curithwin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:58 pm

What I am going to do is back up all saves that get to the end sector. This way I can copy and paste them back into the correct place and try out different tactics for the same vessels.
Postal

Postby Postal » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:59 pm

Much of the entire game is built around the idea of having consequences for your actions. They were hesitant to put in the "save & quit" feature in the first place, and the roguelike atmosphere is an integral part of the game. The game isn't supposed to have an "easy" mode.

I'm assuming you knew about this feature when you purchased the game. It's made to be punishingly difficult. Did you just expect them to suddenly make it easier?
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:02 pm

helix wrote:Seriously I loved this game to bits first time I saw it but you really piss me off,

Now allow me to elaborate:
apparently your save slot is deleted when you continue game - to prevent cheating I presume?
BUT
A:Why do you even care if I or anyone else wish to ''compromise'' our roguelike expirience,
Ironman mode ein't for everyone - especially on their first couple of runs.

and

B:Fix your game! Even if you don't pull such drakonian crap on your players atleast allow for a backup save for when your game either crashes or simply freezes..

Sure it doesn't happen too often but due to your ''design choices'' it hurts *every* time..
Losing your trained crew and upgraded ship due to your stupidity is annoying, humbling even - losing it due to stupidity of others is simply infuriating.

Now I like this game, I really do but seriously why don't you make a simple Iron mode or whatever you wish to call it and give us our choice how we wish to play - the bottom line being why must I choose between manually backing up my saves and getting an ulcer due to your ''rogue cred'' or whatever.

You know if you really have a problem with the save file being deleted when you continue: manually make a copy of the save file on your disk. Problem solved.
helix

Postby helix » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:18 pm

geldonyetich wrote:Like Binding of Isaac, this game just wasn't designed to win every time. Stuff's supposed to go wrong, and the whole game is about coping with that. Activating the OOC time machine every time an event eats a crew member is not "non-ironman" mode: it's just plain cheating. But, if you really wanna ruin the game for yourself, I'm sure you can devise the means to back up your save before continuing.

True,
I also happen to be an avid dorf fort vet after all so a ''bit of pain'' can make for an interesting gaming sesion,

My issue is that I'm forced to basically hack the game for no apparent reason,
For instance DoDredmore or even zomboid are agruably even more difficult and yet they atlest allow for a reliable option to continue the game,
besides lets face it if I or anyone else wishes to ''save scum'' its a personal choice.. ein't it?

geldonyetich wrote:Crashes and lockups, however, I can sympathise with. Now, I have not had this happen once, after three games, so perhaps you have some incompatibility issues. Drivers updated? What GPU you using? Running overclocked?

I lost two games in such a fashion, both fairly advanced and it honestly sucked.
As for tech detail I'm fairly certain its not that as I felt no other problems such as fps, only had issues when leaving / booting game.

Postal wrote:Much of the entire game is built around the idea of having consequences for your actions. They were hesitant to put in the "save & quit" feature in the first place, and the roguelike atmosphere is an integral part of the game. The game isn't supposed to have an "easy" mode.

I'm assuming you knew about this feature when you purchased the game. It's made to be punishingly difficult. Did you just expect them to suddenly make it easier?

The game actually HAS AN EASY MODE :lol:
What it lacks is a reliable continue game system, if you wish to strap yourself to a chair and play thru in a single go - your choice buddy.

I like my games in small chunks,
especially at work. ;)