Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
ZahaianGhost

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! Updated Dec 12th!

Postby ZahaianGhost » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:06 pm

Hello again!

I was just testing a little idea out and thought I might see if anyone else may know a parameter I don't (I've looked over the threads I thought may be relevant to what I'm interested in beforehand with no luck). Okay, the idea was relatively simple: kick out a crewmember during an event, if the right choice is made, restore crewmember with all stats intact.

The reality of it more likely being:
crewmember amount="-1"
crewmember amount="1" class="[whatever that member's race was]"> [whatever the name was]</crewmember>

However, the real solution as proposed there only generates a new person (if I'm not mistaken, I'm going off of my reading of existing events and experience with them from playthroughs), which may have the relevant gender and name, but hasn't the experience of the original crewmember to that point.

With that in mind, my thought was there might be some parameter(s) similar to this:
<status type="limit" target="player" system="sensors" amount="0"/>

Except for individual units. Anyone know if that's the case? I couldn't find anything like it in reading over many of the existing events, meaning it may very well not be possible, but equally as likely is that it is, just that none of the events directly affect the stats of crewmembers for us to see where it is.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:01 pm

@ZahaianGhost
You're pretty much out of luck... What you want to achieve is outside of current modding ability.
We can only remove a random crew member of a specific race, or add a new crew member, but we can't restore a crew member we've removed.
There is no way to change crew's stats, either.
The <status> tags only affect the ship and its systems, and there's no analogue that works for crew...

The FTL devs tried implementing something along the lines of crew-specific events, as evidenced by stuff in newEvents.xml, but IIRC they've ran out of time.

We can only hope that AE introduces some new tools for us to work with :/
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
ZahaianGhost

Postby ZahaianGhost » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Gotcha. Thanks! I suspected as much, but since I'm still new to this, I thought there was a good chance that I might be missing something. Fortunately this would only have been a minor addition to what I already have in mind, and as amusing as it might be to remove and replace crewmembers with those of a completely different race, it seems hard enough as is to get them leveled up in certain stats, making that the last thing I'd want to do to people.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:30 pm

ZahaianGhost wrote: kick out a crewmember during an event, if the right choice is made, restore crewmember with all stats intact.

If this is all happening in one single event it's kind of doable. Just not remove the crew member till the choice is made, then remove him if the player makes the wrong choice.
ZahaianGhost

Postby ZahaianGhost » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:18 am

That's true Sleeper, however my thought hinges on brief abduction/disappearance and then restoration for it to all fit the theme of what I have in mind. Good advice though. =)
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:05 am

kartoFlane wrote:We can only hope that AE introduces some new tools for us to work with :/

I pray they don't reduce the moddability of FTL...
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:27 pm

Hello! I've got a question about artillery beams. I hope this is the right place to post..!

I want to make a ship with a custom artillery beam, but from what i can tell it seems that the only way to do that is to overwrite the original ARTILLERY_FED weapon. Since my ship isn't meant to replace the Fed Cruiser and i wanted to keep it unmodified, is there a way to somehow assign my ship's artillery to use a different weapon?

If not that, is there a way to emulate an artillery beam? I mean, can i set a weapon to always be in the fifth slot, to not be able to be sold, and that... could attack automatically, or something?

Otherwise I could just replace the Fed Cruiser... but yeah, it's worth to try asking first! : )
ImageImageImageImageImage
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:51 pm

@TaxiService
Sadly, no. Artillery system always uses the ARTILLERY_FED blueprint, there's no way to change that.
Also, there's no way to emulate the artillery beam in the way you're suggesting... So I guess you're completely out of luck on this one :/
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Oh welp, Too bad! I'll overwrite that thing then! : )
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:23 am

Sorry for the double post but i've got another question.

Is it true that if a ship replaces the federation cruiser the cloaking system will not appear in the shops? Because i have a ship that replaces the fed cruiser and is meant to be able to use the cloaking system. It lacks an artillery beam so it wouldn't break the UI anyway.
Am i just being unlucky or is it because the cloaking is somehow prevented to be found with fed cruisers? :\