[Tool] FTL Error Checker

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
ApexMods

Re: [Tool] FTL Error Checker - v 0.965

Postby ApexMods » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:06 pm

kartoFlane wrote:As far as I'm aware, everything after a <store/> tag in an event won't ever be executed by the game. Thus, it acts as an event termination tag, the same as <event/>.
I'm not completely sure, but I tested this a bit, and it seemed to behave that way. No idea whether there are more tags like this though.

From my experience, placing the <store/> tag (as well as e.g. <distressBeacon/> and <repair/>) at the very top of an event block does not hinder execution of subsequent statements, as the tags seem to be used comparable to e.g. environment triggers by the game - for special beacon display on the star map and to call up the store UI after event execution.

kartoFlane wrote:Does it happen with drones, too? What about blueprint lists linked via <weaponList load="FOO"/>, and their contents?
Or is it just the

Code: Select all

<weaponList count="#">
  <weapon name="FOO_WEAPON"/>
</weaponList>

that is problematic?

So far, I can only confirm the latter, as I haven't encountered (or tried) this with drones or blueprint lists. Will have to verify when I get home.
XionGaTaosenai

Postby XionGaTaosenai » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:26 pm

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.kartoflane.errorchecker.core.FTLParser.storeReferenceByType(FTLParser.java:362)
at com.kartoflane.errorchecker.core.FTLParser.parseArchives(FTLParser.java:143)
at com.kartoflane.errorchecker.ui.MainWindow$1.widgetSelected(MainWindow.java:260)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
at com.kartoflane.errorchecker.core.Main.main(Main.java:175)

I get this when I try to parse the archives.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:04 pm

XionGaTaosenai wrote:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.kartoflane.errorchecker.core.FTLParser.storeReferenceByType(FTLParser.java:362)

I get this when I try to parse the archives.

Ah. That happened because the checker tries to store the created tags in its database, even if an error occured during parsing that caused the XML document to not be created -- thanks for your report, fixed.

I'll probably upload the new version over the weekend.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
kartoFlane

Re: [Tool] FTL Error Checker - v 0.972

Postby kartoFlane » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:43 pm

Well, it's weekend for me already, update time!

- version 0.972
  - Fixed a pretty bad mistake that caused the checker to have 100% CPU usage at all times
  - credits.txt should no longer be getting parsed as txt layout file
  - shipBlueprints should now recognize "random" and "ghost" as correct
  - The checker now always opens files in read-only mode, and therefore should not ever require the user to run it as admin
  - hostile= attribute in ship events is no longer mandatory
  - Objects linked from inside of ship events should now be correctly considered used by the checker
  - Fixed the checker crashing when an error occured during parsing that would cause the XML document to not be created
  - The checker now uses monospaced font in the file viewer. Can be disabled via View menu.
  - Fixed a bug with event-scenario tags in ship events not being detected

Download: FTL Error Checker 0.972
ApexMods

Postby ApexMods » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:10 pm

Great update! Love the monospaced font option! :)

Thanks a lot for your hard work, kartoFlane.
TheNewbie

Postby TheNewbie » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:44 am

So, what do we have here? It's been a long time since I checked the forums and it seems like Mr.kartoFlane made another masterpiece of a programme! Can't wait to test it out! :D
kartoFlane

Re: [Tool] FTL Error Checker - v 0.98

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:42 pm

A moderate update;

- version 0.98
  - The checker now keeps a list of all tags that are allowed to be used inside anims, weaponAnims, aug/item/crew/system/drone/weapon/ship blueprints, event/shipEvent/choice tags. As a result, tags with unrecognized / typo'd names should now show up as errors.
  - Name of the currently parsed file is now being displayed next to the progress bar
  - Added an info about non-bomb weapons not being able to heal crew
  - Added an info about beam weapons not being able to apply the lockdown effect
  - Fixed a bug that would cause the checker to enter an infinite loop when the user tried to search for text in current file with no file opened in the viewer.
  - Fixed a bug in search text feature that would cause the checker to crash when the user tried to search for characters that had meaning in regex
  - Added possibility to use regex to the search text
  - Drone types are now considered a valid value for <choice> tags' req attribute

Dropbox download directory: FTL Error Checker 0.98

In other news, my IDE tried to sabotage the checker's development by wiping my source code clean for no reason whatsoever... Managed to recover it completely, but fun times were had, nonetheless.
ApexMods

Postby ApexMods » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:52 pm

kartoFlane wrote:In other news, my IDE tried to sabotage the checker's development by wiping my source code clean for no reason whatsoever... Managed to recover it completely, but fun times were had, nonetheless.

Sorry to hear about the IDE pains, kartoFlane. I can somewhat relate to the "fun times"; managed to stumble and fall against my RAID array one time... knocking it clean of the desk... onto the stone floor... ripping out all cables... during mirror sync... loosing all of my work... including backups... destroying both RAID and UPS... and almost breaking my neck in the process. So yeah, fun times. :)

Anyhow, glad you recovered the source and thrilled to see another great update to EC.
Knightmarez

Postby Knightmarez » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:47 am

i was really looking forward to using this ....downloaded and extracted it, linked it to the right place, but it just crashes on me every time.

it's when i hit the 'parse'......no warning message no nothing.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:53 am

@Knightmarez
Are you sure you've downloaded the correct version for your system? Check the log file for any error entries, and if there's nothing there, try to launch the .exe / .jar from command line -- any unexpected errors causing the application to crash get reported in the console.