[SHIP] The Enforcer (No-power Zoltan boarding ship)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
5thHorseman

[SHIP] The Enforcer (No-power Zoltan boarding ship)

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:50 pm

This Zoltan police cruiser heeded the call when the Federation - one of the few bastions of law left in the Galaxy - needed them the most.

Download version 1.0 here: http://pulpaudio.com/ftl/Enforcer.ftl
(if you have trouble downloading, try right clicking and selecting "save link as..." in the menu)

This ship replaces the Adjudicator.

My modifications

The Enforcer is a ship that was sent to me by someone who watches my YouTube Let's Plays, RAD-82. He drew out the ship in full and gave great reasoning behind every decision he made in the design. I was so impressed by how well thought out (and fun sounding!) the ship was that I simply had to make it. What you see above is about 95% his ship, and 5% my tweaks to balance it and make it work in-game. You're seeing it right: This ship comes with 8 Zoltans! However, unless you want to peck away at the enemies with your horrible weaponry, you're going to be sending 4 of them over to the enemy ships in the craziest idea this side of Mantis Juggling: An Elite Zoltan Boarding Party.

EDIT: I was asked to post the original image. Here it is. I suppose my changes may be more than just 5% but I still want to stress that there's no way I'd have ever thought of this on my own. Click the image for the full description sent to me.
My biggest changes were that I dropped the Leto, added a weapon power, and made the medbay 4x4 because I absolutely hate shuffling four guys through a 2-person medbay after every single battle. The room layout changes are just there to accommodate the larger medbay.

You may recognize the ship, it's the Energy Bomber turned sideways. I also turned the gibs sideways so it's got those. The room graphics - like all my room graphics - are set so they both fit and match the rooms they're in.

Themes:
  • This is a Zoltan police cruiser. It's designed to disable a ship and bring prisoners aboard.
  • The big empty room in the middle is the holding cell. Prisoners are either brought aboard into it from the outside, or teleported or brought in through those doors and then put through quarantine (the medbay) before being placed in the holding cell.
  • The ship starts with Level 2 doors (to hold prisoners) and an FTL Jammer (to keep smugglers from getting away). It also sports a 4-man medbay. Other than that, it's got about what you'd expect for a starting ship.

Truly, this is a ship that must be experienced. It's just awesome to take out mantises with Zoltans.

Disclaimer: Mantis Juggling may be hazardous to your health.
Last edited by 5thHorseman on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Kieve

Re: [SHIP] The Enforcer (No-power Zoltan boarding ship)

Postby Kieve » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:42 pm

Zoltan boarding ship. Wut. :lol:

I have to admit though, the design and concept is fascinating.
fireclaw2006

Postby fireclaw2006 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:28 pm

This ship is a lot more powerful than it looks. I could have won if I didn't teleport in my crew as soon as I destroyed the ship. :x
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:54 pm

I modified the first post with the image that was originally sent to me, so you can all see the detail and thought put into this ship.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:13 am

I actually modded the Zoltan B (edit: actually, I did both, but it was the A I played) to have a Rock for pilot and 7 Zoltans. Gave it a L2 (2-man) Teleporter to start, and it was a good thing, because the A team was getting low health warnings all the time. Did manage to get a couple of them one star in combat, but when ships started having more crew, the Zoltan boarders eventually died off and had to be replaced with Mantises and another Rock.

I'll have to give this ship a try, though.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:11 pm

Wow, that FTL Jammer really is a curse. My second fight was against a Rigger. I probably shouldn't have boarded - it had an Antipersonnel Drone and 3 crew, so I had to run around before teleporting back. Then I was hoping it would run away, as its FTL was charging. But it stuck around (cuz, oh yeah, I'm jamming it - can't somebody turn that thing off?!?!), chewed my ship up, hit all the systems so I couldn't run away and couldn't kill it. Finally when I was down to 3 HP, I had repaired systems enough, finished charging my FTL and jumped away.

My first fight got me sector data, so I avoided ships, and in two jumps was at a store, where I sold the FTL Jammer and repaired 10 HP. I fought a few more ships (so many autoships!), hit another store, and repaired up to 20 HP. Along the way I bought two power. Survived to the middle of sector 2 (including going through two consecutive asteroid fields), had saved up 84 scrap, then I got blown up.

Maybe the thing to do is get the Shield up, then a couple power, then L2 Teleporter.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:36 pm

I have a hilarious set of 2... oh let's call them test runs, where I make the horrible mistake of trying to go one-on-one with mantises. Let me tell you, 4 zoltans can't beat up 2 mantises (or a mantis and a human even) no matter how much you swap them out, unless you can gang up all 4 of your guys on their two.

Seriously, don't try. :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

DestinyAtlantis

Postby DestinyAtlantis » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:20 pm

5thHorseman wrote:I have a hilarious set of 2... oh let's call them test runs, where I make the horrible mistake of trying to go one-on-one with mantises. Let me tell you, 4 zoltans can't beat up 2 mantises (or a mantis and a human even) no matter how much you swap them out, unless you can gang up all 4 of your guys on their two.

Seriously, don't try. :)

Maybe, but while your 2 zoltans are fighting 2 mantis or a mantis and a human, your other 2 or 4 zoltans(depending on how many you teleport to the enemy ships), could wreck havoc on the enemy systems(oxygen, medbay, or weapons and shields if that is what's troubling you)
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:18 pm

DestinyAtlantis wrote:Maybe, but while your 2 zoltans are fighting 2 mantis or a mantis and a human, your other 2 or 4 zoltans(depending on how many you teleport to the enemy ships), could wreck havoc on the enemy systems(oxygen, medbay, or weapons and shields if that is what's troubling you)

True, they could. But taking down the enemy's weapons by 1 or 2 points is not really worth 4 Zoltans. It's not even worth 2 if you could pull the others back which I'm not sure you could.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

The Captain

Postby The Captain » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:31 am

Third time's the charm! Second effort went only slightly better than the first, getting blown up in an early sector, but the Enforcer III beat the boss. Was up in the air for a bit, as I still had the starting Ion Blast and Mini Beam in Sector 5. Picked up an Antiship Mk II, which helped a bit, but still had to run away from some battles, due to too much enemy evasion. Finally got a Heavy Laser Mk I, then later a Halberd Beam, and finally an Ion Bomb to really take shields down.

I followed my plan: Shields first, then a couple Engines and Power before L2 Teleporter. Didn't do a whole lot of boarding, as when I was fighting one of those Mantis ships with the 2x2 room in the middle, I lost a Zoltan due to impatience. When I got the low health warning, pairs of Zoltans ducked out of the weapons room to either side while I mini beamed it. Should have waited for my TP to cool down before going back in, but I thought I could fight a little bit more. When I beamed back with three, I realized the first Zoltan to go in had gotten shredded - maybe I should have chosen the order of entry more carefully.

So Zoltans went back to being extra power. I got three Humans eventually, but lost one due to stupidity - while repelling boarders, two were fighting in a room that was becoming airless. I stayed too long; fleeing to the Medbay, one made it, the other died in the doorway. Grr. Wasn't able to replace him (apparently all the sectors had full employment), so one Human and one Zoltan made up my boss boarding party. The first round, the Zoltan almost died because he hadn't leveled up yet, and he was fighting the missile gunner. Had a HP or two left but did get that star.

Scored 4498 pts on normal, finished with 18 HP, L21 Reactor, L7 Shields, L6 Engines, L6 Weapons, L5 Drone Control, L3 Cloak, L2 everything else. Ion Bomb, Halberd Beam, Hvy Laser Mk I, Defense Drone Mk I (I found a Def Mk I before I had Drone Control, sold it to get the Drone Control, which came with a Def Mk I - ha!), Antiship Mk II, Auto Reloader (which I got in Sector 6 or 7), Zoltan Shield, and Long Range Scanners; 5 Zoltans, 2 Humans.

Oh, I looked into the Great Eye, desperately in need of a weapon (maybe I should have checked possible results first), lost my experienced Engineer. My former 2-star Pilot became a 2-star Engineer.