[MOD] Descent into Darkness - a major game overhaul

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
dalolorn

Re: [MOD] Descent into Darkness - a major game overhaul

Postby dalolorn » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:29 pm

DryEagle wrote:
dalolorn wrote:
MantisGeneral7 wrote:Its A Shame that dryEagle leaved He was 1st MOD Creator And My Hero :(
Who is this "dryEagle" you speak of? :roll:
just someone who decided not to make any more mods because the community was really not active and he couldn't find anyone to animate his last really awesome idea :cry:

Heh, I was just picking apart his capitalization. Just for fun. :)

Not sure what you're referring to, though.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:11 pm

IIRC DryEagle claimed to know how to make animated ship hulls...
He never shared the knowledge, though :(
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:12 pm

kartoFlane wrote:IIRC DryEagle claimed to know how to make animated ship hulls...

That is sad.
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:59 pm

kartoFlane wrote:IIRC DryEagle claimed to know how to make animated ship hulls...

i do, and since it doesn't look like i'll be seeing my concept realised, i'll give you a hint... it involves artillery shenanigans ;)
maybe that's not the answer you were hoping for but i've tested it and it's completely viable/workable
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
Gameslayer989

Postby Gameslayer989 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:39 am

So I just recently completed the game with my third ship and, looking longingly at the empty spot where the crystal cruiser should be, I decide to try out my very first FTL mod. Naturally I looked at the first few threads and saw this one and it seemed pretty cool. So, after a painful time of figuring out GMM, I install this mod...

Sweet bejezzus that was a fun ride.

The intro and the way you built the ship were pretty amazing, and the weapons you got, whilst ridiculously cheap and powerful, looked stunning. I also loved the RP element attached to the start, made me feel like FTL has an actual purpose (yeah yeah I know it's story, it just doesn't introduce it at all). I also really liked the different prices and reduced shield capacity.

The only real problem I had with it was the boss battle. You made him easy :(
With only 3 shields it isn't hard to damage him, and his second phase is suddenly a lot easier without the boarding drone, which would have pretty much destroyed me completly. I do get where you were coming from by removing it, since the third phase is meant to be the boarding phase, but couldn't you have at least added him back in during the boarding phase? :P

So yeah, second playthrough and first win. Huzzah!
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:15 am

DryEagle wrote:

i do, and since it doesn't look like i'll be seeing my concept realised, i'll give you a hint... it involves artillery shenanigans ;)
maybe that's not the answer you were hoping for but i've tested it and it's completely viable/workable

Y'know, I've always suspected that was the case. ;) Which implies my "Big Gun" theory for some Incursor enemies will also work pretty well. Thank you for confirming my suspicions :D
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:02 pm

Gameslayer989 wrote:The only real problem I had with it was the boss battle. You made him easy :(
With only 3 shields it isn't hard to damage him, and his second phase is suddenly a lot easier without the boarding drone, which would have pretty much destroyed me completly. I do get where you were coming from by removing it, since the third phase is meant to be the boarding phase, but couldn't you have at least added him back in during the boarding phase? :P
A lot of attributes to do with power are shared across multiple ships; in this case, I think it's to do with max drone power, which stops the boss launching boarding drones because of the defense drones it is using. Probably. It's been a while. And the game isn't set up such that I can arbitrarily add/take away boss capabilities, it's all pretty hardcoded.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
Gameslayer989

Postby Gameslayer989 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:09 pm

Fair enough. Damn those hardcoding devs! :P
ElectronicBacon

Postby ElectronicBacon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:13 pm

Any chance we could get that ship as a mod by itself?
ibanix

Postby ibanix » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:01 am

First mod I've tried.

Nice work, the ability to pick different starting options was fun.

On the other hand, the weapons are seriously over-powered; I breezed through the game and the ending boss. Still, fun times.