[SHIP] The Breeze Cleaver

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Axel6430

[SHIP] The Breeze Cleaver

Postby Axel6430 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:14 pm

Hello there, I finally finished the last touches on my first custom ship !

The Breeze Cleaver
This scout ship, meant for covert operations, is equipped with weapons dealing minimum hull damage, so as to preserve possibly useful assets.

The floor plan reveals tasty greebles, as if you were presented with a sectional view of the ship :)

Contains custom weapons, such as an anti-bio laser or a system beam. Also has gibs.
Replaces the Man of War.
.ftl download link here.
Last edited by Axel6430 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iceburg333

Re: [SHIP] The Breeze Cleaver

Postby iceburg333 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Looks awesome.
How did you so well match the game's art style!?
Lanvi

Postby Lanvi » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:15 pm

nice art! did you use layer masks to get that shadowing effect? and nice idea for the floor plan too! good job on the greebles. incredibly detailed
Axel6430

Postby Axel6430 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:19 pm

iceburg333 wrote:Looks awesome.

Thanks !
I guess two weeks of work is my main secret :P I also used heavy reference from existing slug ships.
Lanvi wrote:nice art! did you use layer masks to get that shadowing effect? and nice idea for the floor plan too! good job on the greebles. incredibly detailed

Nope, the lineart, color and shadowing are all hand-made in paint. Thanks for the tip, though, I'll look into it next time if it can achieve the same result in a shorter timespan.
I got that floor plan idea from the FTL soundtrack's artwork. It seemed to me it would be visually interesting.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Sweet, sweet hull image. Looks seriously awesome.
Also nice idea with the floor image; kinda feels like it obscures a little too much of the hull, though -- most of that juicy-goodness in the hull will end up not being in sight most of the time :(
And not a moment too soon, I just unlocked the Slug cruiser.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:54 pm

Slick work. The mod looks tasty!
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:59 pm

This is an amazing ship, especially since it's your first. The greebles look cool, and the weapons are well designed stats-wise, but mostly their animations look totally radical. I've only started a run with this ship, so more info later on how well I think it plays.

Just want to point out a couple small errors: The short description for the system beam doesn't mention its one point of normal damage, and the short description for the D. Bomb says it does two damage when it only does one. Also, the preview screenshot has four bars in weapons while the actual ship only has three.
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
iceburg333

Postby iceburg333 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:38 am

Axel6430 wrote:
iceburg333 wrote:Looks awesome.

Thanks !
I guess two weeks of work is my main secret :P I also used heavy reference from existing slug ships.
Lanvi wrote:nice art! did you use layer masks to get that shadowing effect? and nice idea for the floor plan too! good job on the greebles. incredibly detailed

Nope, the lineart, color and shadowing are all hand-made in paint. Thanks for the tip, though, I'll look into it next time if it can achieve the same result in a shorter timespan.
I got that floor plan idea from the FTL soundtrack's artwork. It seemed to me it would be visually interesting.

Wow, super impressive for just paint. I was hoping there was some mystic secret to making ships look this good, but tons of hardwork sounds pretty logical. You really wouldn't be able to tell it's not an original ship, so I just have to salute you. Well done, and I can't wait to see any other ships you do. =D
Axel6430

Postby Axel6430 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:43 am

kartoFlane wrote:Sweet, sweet hull image. Looks seriously awesome.
Also nice idea with the floor image; kinda feels like it obscures a little too much of the hull, though -- most of that juicy-goodness in the hull will end up not being in sight most of the time :(
And not a moment too soon, I just unlocked the Slug cruiser.

Yeah it's hard to keep a balance. If the floor image was smaller, it would have to be less detailed because of the lack of space :? Most of the interesting bits are already hidden by the rooms themselves though, so the bits that remained were the kinda dull ones.
aaaaaa50 wrote:This is an amazing ship, especially since it's your first. The greebles look cool, and the weapons are well designed stats-wise, but mostly their animations look totally radical. I've only started a run with this ship, so more info later on how well I think it plays.

Just want to point out a couple small errors: The short description for the system beam doesn't mention its one point of normal damage, and the short description for the D. Bomb says it does two damage when it only does one. Also, the preview screenshot has four bars in weapons while the actual ship only has three.

Yeah, those are leftover from the previous version. I'll make sure to correct those mistakes.
Don't hesitate to provide feedback on the ship's balance ! That's what worries me the most.
UltraMantis wrote:Slick work. The mod looks tasty!

iceburg333 wrote:Wow, super impressive for just paint. I was hoping there was some mystic secret to making ships look this good, but tons of hardwork sounds pretty logical. You really wouldn't be able to tell it's not an original ship, so I just have to salute you. Well done, and I can't wait to see any other ships you do. =D

Thanks ! I'm contemplating a Mantis ship at the moment. I'll just take a break for a week or so, it's kinda tiring working on those after a while.
Alvarin

Postby Alvarin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:51 am

It has taken me several tries to beat the game with this ship on normal, the balance feels very much vanilla. The ship plays just as a Slug should :)
Didn't encounter any problems or graphical glitches during the plays, good job on that as well!
All in all - that's one more very good mod.