Ion Beam(nice one)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sp1derpig

Ion Beam(nice one)

Postby Sp1derpig » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:01 am

Realized after I was half way done that there were a few out there but I pushed through and finished it. It's better than some of the others I saw. In short has altered artwork for the gun and is currently awarded at the start of the game, planning to integrate it into an event when I have the time but just did it in one day so I have to sleep.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/777 ... 0Final.ftl

Use mod manager obviously, hope it works.
Last edited by Sp1derpig on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
speedoflight

Re: Ion Laser(nice one)

Postby speedoflight » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Yes right now there are some of em out there. My mod has one as well (and honestly your ion beam is not "better" than mine or better than other out there, i dunno wat u mean with "better" xD, you even didnt include a custom weapon graphic... in the end the only thing that differs in one weapon mod from other is the graphic part, nothing else.. and in that matter my mod has all the points over, its a sahem nobody likes my mods, but i tell you, i coudnt find a mod in the community that is near the quality of mine, not even in weapons). But dont worry, in this community people doesnt like quality mods, they only want a crappy mod that has all they need, and a mod ready to beat the boss without any problem at all, even if it is the worst mod in history xD. Ion Beams are good, but they are invented eons ago (the only problem was in past versions of FTL they were bugged and didnt work pretty well).

One thing, u should change the title of the post, since this is a BEAM, not a laser. In FTL, lasers are not like beams.... xD.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
TheNewbie

Postby TheNewbie » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:42 pm

speedoflight wrote:"but i tell you, i coudnt find a mod in the community that is near the quality of mine, not even in weapons)"

So you basically say that you make the best mods in the community? In all seriousness what you just said makes you sound like a douchebag.
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:57 pm

He is stating the truth. (No offence to other modders)
Sp1derpig

Postby Sp1derpig » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:29 pm

First of all facepalm about the laser. :o . Second of all after reviewing the forums I have found many weapons nicer than this one. I said what I said because in the process of development I stumbled across another one that was simply beam with default art that delt ion damage and I believe that this, with modified art, is superior to that specific example.
UltraMantis

Re: Ion Beam(nice one)

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:07 am

All modders help each other and teach each other. Some have issues with learning, others with motivation or who knows. In the end they all owe each other.

As for the really good mods, you can tell by the effort that went into making, testing and polishing them. Even though i rarely ever play mods (because vanila FTL is hard to beat) i apreciate the work done.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:07 am

TheNewbie wrote:
speedoflight wrote:"but i tell you, i coudnt find a mod in the community that is near the quality of mine, not even in weapons)"

So you basically say that you make the best mods in the community? In all seriousness what you just said makes you sound like a douchebag.

Hell, no, maybe i talked too much. There are actual mods like the captain's edition or the strange new galaxy that are great mods as well. But honestly, there are only 2 or 3 that will worthy the time for me and as i said, people seem to be more interested ind mid-crappy mods than anything else. They even call a great mod a ship modded like a banana or a car.. for example :shock: . Of course, i talk about ship / weapons / little stuff mods, not the other categories.

Talking about the thread, the only thing about ion beams, is that they need to be small, 1 ion damage and no shield piercing categories. And a relatively high cooldown. And thats it, now u have a nice ion beam.. (nicer if u make custom graphics for it... ;) wat i mean, is everybody can make an ion beam, now, the work after that (custom graphics, sounds, balance work) is what is really worthy about the mod.
ImageImage
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:18 am

UltraMantis wrote:As for the really good mods, you can tell by the effort that went into making, testing and polishing them. Even though i rarely ever play mods (because vanila FTL is hard to beat) i apreciate the work done.

Thats exactly wat i put into my mods. And that is wat i saw in only a few (2 or 3) mods in the community since i arrived, that are really underrated, and people doesnt bother even in writting a thank you, or a little feedback. The conclusion is, that people prefers a really easy - fast - mod (even if it is a crappy mod) than the need to think more than necessary in FTL playing in a really well made mod with a lot of details. I see a lot of overpowered and a realy boring mods out there that seem to like more, or mods with a crappy ship graphic and just a different configuration of the basic vanilla loadouts, and as people said in the thread , they are great mods... xD. I mean, i know how it cost to make a mod for FTL, and i will never infra valorate the work in any mod, but seriously, its like "the better the mod is, the less it likes to people". Other thing, people cant understand that giving feedback to someone's mod is essential for that mod to grow, and i am amazed on how people just avoid any type of feedback in the most promising mods. To the exception of the captain's edition or some other 2 mods out there.. the rest of the "great" mods (includin mine) are really abandoned. And i cant find an explanation for that lol. It is just really confusing.
So, the second point is, any modder expects to show the mod to the community to improve it in conjunction with people's advises / ideas / feedback, and u lose all the will to continue modding when u see your mod, in which u are putting so much effort, amazingly passes like a ghost over the community, while others really bad compared with it keep growing and receiving all kind of feedback and silly answers lol.
ImageImage
Sp1derpig

Postby Sp1derpig » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:26 am

Speaking of polishing a mod...does anybody know how to change the color of a beam? I was able to change the hit graphic (just color overlay) but was unable to find where the color of the beam itself was stored. Red doesn't go very well with ion damage.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:34 am

Hardcoded i belive. FTL is very resistant to modding. There's usefull info on ships here: http://ftlwiki.com/wiki/Modding_Ships and a lot of info scattered in the mod development forum.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.