Weapon timing, an idea

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Lifeforcer

Re: Weapon timing, an idea

Postby Lifeforcer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:12 am

5thHorseman wrote:Even if this was in the game it wouldn't be as useful as you think it is. Shots miss. Beams should only fire when shields are down, which isn't always "3 seconds after the lasers fire" and is never "when the lasers fire."

I can see the appeal of the idea, I really can. But aiming and timing each shot is a skill and an art that is as much a part of the game as your rockman being somehow sliced in half by a mantis in a random event.

Thanks, It is nice to get an actual response rather than trolling. It is too bad it isn't possible, but it certainly is something I can deal with. I mainly derive fun out of coming up with the strategy, so the clicking for firing in the same pattern all the time is the one thing that gets redundant for me. It does sort of add a level of strategy though where I try to get weapons that fire in the right pattern without any assistance from me, but I don't know that it ever works perfectly. Anyway, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing because it is working.
Ozei

Postby Ozei » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:08 am

Lifeforcer wrote:I mainly derive fun out of coming up with the strategy, so the clicking for firing in the same pattern all the time is the one thing that gets redundant for me. It does sort of add a level of strategy though where I try to get weapons that fire in the right pattern without any assistance from me, but I don't know that it ever works perfectly. Anyway, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing because it is working.

It should also be remembered that this game is supposed to be hard and a bit on unforgiving and unfair side. Volley control is an essential skill, and failing to learn it may (and probably will) cost you your whole ship - an aspect which in my opinion makes this game good :) Because, again, this game isn't supposed to be easy. Coming up with strategy and using it effectively is a major part of this game - even though a bit redundant and frustrating sometimes.

Pausing helps a lot, too. Take your time to align those beams perfectly.
My fleet so far:
Kestrel A, Kestrel B, Engi A, Engi B, Rock A, Rock B, Stealth A, Stealth B, Fed A, Fed B, Zoltan A, Zoltan B, Mantis A, Mantis B, Slug A, Slug B, Crystal A, Crystal B
Green is victory, on normal
Lifeforcer

Postby Lifeforcer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:56 pm

What is wrong with you people? I don't have a problem with the skill level. Yes the game is easy, but if you need to click more buttons to give yourself a challenge that is just you.

This is another version of this topic.

Me: Hey guys I'm not from around here, do you know if there is a coffee shop nearby? I usually just brew my own but I don't have time today.
You: Make your own coffee.
Me: Sorry I wasn't clear, I do make my own coffee normally but don't have the time for it today.
You: I understand, but there is no starbucks in town, besides starbucks sucks.
Me: Well that's cool, I just said a coffee shop, not starbucks. Some places have good coffee.
You: Knowing how to make good coffee is required for having a good cup of coffee. If you can't make it you will never have good coffee (and I'm just going to accuse you of not knowing how to make coffee for good measure.
Me: Oh yeah, I'm on the internet.

Lesson learned trolls. Lesson learned.
Lifeforcer

Postby Lifeforcer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:06 pm

As a final note, who here plays without autofire and pausing? Because that is the only true way to enjoy this game. Otherwise you are lying if you say you like it.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:44 pm

No idea why you instantly jumped to calling people trolls, and generally reacting in a hostile fashion, when there was literally one, single person, whose reponse was in the least bit humorous, if inappropriate.
I guess your description of what you want could have been a little clearer - I, for one, did not completely understand what you meant until I've re-read it a few times now.

Well, either way, as has already been pointed out by Twinge and horseman, it's not possible. We're woefully limited in what we can modify in the game.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:38 pm

Sometimes u will need autofire, sometimes u wont. Thats the thing about FTL, decent players never stuck on autofire, cuz sometimes u will need to fire all the weapons at once, or just one just a bit after the first one, and so on. And as someone said, this is part of the game. Trust me , autofire is really useful when u have a lot of things to worry about and u cant just pay attention when the weapons are loaded and not, specially in later sectors. Sometimes its just impossible, so yes, the autofire button is really useful, but not always, depends on the situation.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
Lifeforcer

Postby Lifeforcer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:08 pm

kartoFlane wrote:No idea why you instantly jumped to calling people trolls, and generally reacting in a hostile fashion, when there was literally one, single person, whose reponse was in the least bit humorous, if inappropriate.
I guess your description of what you want could have been a little clearer - I, for one, did not completely understand what you meant until I've re-read it a few times now.

Well, either way, as has already been pointed out by Twinge and horseman, it's not possible. We're woefully limited in what we can modify in the game.

Didn't jump right to it, said it after I had been insulted, which itself was after I had posted a clarification. Seriously though, look at the post AFTER yours. I may not be the clearest person, but these people act like they can't think. It is too bad because I love this game, but this community sucks.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:11 am

Lifeforcer wrote:
kartoFlane wrote:No idea why you instantly jumped to calling people trolls, and generally reacting in a hostile fashion, when there was literally one, single person, whose reponse was in the least bit humorous, if inappropriate.

Didn't jump right to it, said it after I had been insulted, which itself was after I had posted a clarification. Seriously though, look at the post AFTER yours. I may not be the clearest person, but these people act like they can't think. It is too bad because I love this game, but this community sucks.

He is right. Some responses to his post were dismissive and unfriendly, and i guess made after barely skimming throgh the OP.

The merits of automating a firing sequence/salvo vs. firing weapons manually are debatable, but treating a new member with ridicule is not. There is only one real rule on the forum and it's: Don't be a jerk to others. No wonder he thinks the community sucks and is responding with hostility.

Please treat fellows with respect esp. when you disagree or don't understand them. This community does not suck. It has great members who devote time and effort to program tools and utilities, create mods, teach others and helps with tech support issues when possible.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.