How can slugs kill mantises so fast?

General discussion about the game.
doug141

How can slugs kill mantises so fast?

Postby doug141 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:06 pm

Secctor 1, I lucked into 2 mantises and a teleporter upgrade. I confront a tiny slug intercepter which has 3 connected rooms and no med bay. I telelport my 2 mantises into the 1x2 room. Fight starts, and I tend to ship stuff. Next thing I know, my fighting mantises are low health. Then they are dead. Can't re-load and see what went wrong. I don't think the slugs vented. How many slugs could there be on a tiny ship? They couldn't have ganged up in the small room, but they could have tag-teamed in and out of the room I guess. Is there any other explanation?
5thHorseman

Re: How can slugs kill mantises so fast?

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:36 pm

Generally those ships have a crew of 2, though 1 is frequently (Usually? Always?) a Rockman.

Still, 2 Mantises should have taken them down no problem. I have no clue what happened.

However, you should remember to always listen for that "almost dead" sound and then reassess your situation. Turn hitting the spacebar into a Pavlovian response to all alert sounds. :) THen you could have reassessed the situation and probably saved your guys.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
mr silencer

Postby mr silencer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:56 am

did you fire a weapon into where the mantis and the slugs were fighting? even a laser does personnel damage
Signature loading...
SgtFrog

Postby SgtFrog » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:44 pm

Never EVER use a teleporter without at least Level 2 Sensors. As you know, you'd want to get your crew out of there before the reinforcements arrive.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:16 pm

SgtFrog wrote:Never EVER use a teleporter without at least Level 2 Sensors...

...until you're confident with your abilities. I send people in with level 0 sensors all the time with little fear they'll get killed.

You can actually tell by how the doors open and close, if the people on board are rock men, mantises, or "something else"
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

Nevill

Postby Nevill » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:24 pm

5thHorseman wrote:...until you're confident with your abilities. I send people in with level 0 sensors all the time with little fear they'll get killed.

And then a fire breaks out in the teleporter section, so, afraid of not getting out your guys in time, you vent the fires, and safely bring back your elite crew on their last hitpoints to quickly asphyxiate because without sensors you could not see that there was no oxygen left in the room.

Happens to the best of us. :)
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:11 pm

Nevill wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:...until you're confident with your abilities. I send people in with level 0 sensors all the time with little fear they'll get killed.

And then a fire breaks out in the teleporter section, so, afraid of not getting out your guys in time, you vent the fires, and safely bring back your elite crew on their last hitpoints to quickly asphyxiate because without sensors you could not see that there was no oxygen left in the room.

Happens to the best of us. :)

That's one of the joys of Teleporting! :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB