How many games did it take for you to win?

General discussion about the game.
Teh_Mido

How many games did it take for you to win?

Postby Teh_Mido » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:45 am

At 92 games still no win on easy, maybe i just suck :oops:
IConquer

Re: How many games did it take for you to win?

Postby IConquer » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:13 am

Too many >.>

You get better, though. One big thing about getting better at this game is pattern recognition. If you know what to do and when to do it, you mitigate a lot of the bad things that can happen to you. It's also a learning experience to know when and where and what to invest your scrap on.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:37 am

I played 16 games on easy before I met the boss. I played 9 more games on easy (maybe 5 of them getting to the boss and losing) before my first win which I accidentally started on normal. Yup, after losing to the boss 5 or 6 times on easy, I beat him the first time I ever played normal mode, and it a mistake.

And before someone jumps on and says the boss is the same on normal and easy, I know. However, you get more scrap before getting to the boss so (presumably) your ship is in much better shape when you reach it on easy than it would be on normal.

But to tl;dr and answer your question: I beat the boss on game #26.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Teh_Mido

Postby Teh_Mido » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:56 am

That's nice, now that i think about it most of my games were ships runs for that damned Stealth ship B :lol: .
Nimbostratus

Postby Nimbostratus » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:54 pm

It took me about 50 tries to get my first win.
Smauler

Postby Smauler » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:24 pm

My first win was about my 10th game, on easy. I beat the boss second time I met it, with no cloaking or teleporting, using burst fire on the shields, and a halberd on pilot/shields/missiles to start IIRC.

I think I won my second game on normal... but don't remember exactly. I generally win about 1/3 or 1/4 games I start now, I always play to the end, since I've have some epic against the odds victories which I never thought I'd win - it's a shame those are always the lowest scoring games, because you're always struggling and can't pick up extra score and have to retreat.

Nearly all of my losses happen in the first few sectors. I generally like boarding ships, and if you get a bad run of AI or Zoltan ships early on with them, you're screwed.

I've just won with possibly my most deadly ship ever - Engi A. Weapons : Burst II, Ion II, Ion II. Drones : Attack I * 3.... yep, 3 attack drones (I never found an attack II or beam drone, at least later on, or I would possibly have used it). Absolutely obliterated every single thing it came across, for enemies I didn't see as much of a threat, I didn't need to use any drones, and just cloaked for the missiles. The Ions completely shut down any threat, I just set 1 autofire shields, 1 autofire weapons, and did damage with the laser. I actually upgraded my teleporter solely because I was worried I would defeat the end boss too fast, so I wouldn't be able get my missile destroying pair back (this was for sentimental reasons). Engines had 2 bars (!), shields 6, cloak 1 (I wasn't scrap rich, and all my energy was on the drones anyway). Oh, and by the end I actually had 3 weapon loader augments - my ions were basically constantly firing - generally I love pre-ignition, but for this setup it would have been pretty useless, because of the low recharge time of the Ions.
Wariamu

Postby Wariamu » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:18 pm

I don't know how you guys won so easily.

I must really suck and I am so ashamed :lol:

I played over 100 times on normal and never won :cry:

I never watched any videos or tips though. I think my problem is I used to try to get a build instead of making one using what I would find. Which doesn't work in this game.

I got to the boss last game though

.. my kestrel type A had fully upgraded shields and reactor, two mk 2 bursts, the starting rocket launcher (which is not that bad at all considering it only takes 1 energy, is quite fast and allow you to bypass shields), repair arm aug with pre-igniter and some other cheap not important augmentation.

Well, I managed to beat the first form of the flagship but I started the fight with 1/3 of my hull and then I couldn't go back to get repaired and I just died trying to reach a store that I think just turned into an enemy captured beacon which I couldn't defeat...

If only I would have had slightly better weapons. It's pretty frustrating though because I had found a hull drone but I finally just decided to sell it because I thought it wasn't worth paying for the drone systems. Which was the error that made me lose u__u

SIGH
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:01 am

Wariamu wrote:I think my problem is I used to try to get a build instead of making one using what I would find. Which doesn't work in this game.

Yes, it is. And maybe frustration is building up too much.

It's normal to lose many games before finally suceeding. There are deaths that you cannot predict and therefore cannot be ready for. Like getting your oxygen sabotaged. :mrgreen:

Build on your knowledge and take the ship as far as you can. And don't mind the stats too much. Fun is more important than statswhoring.

Good luck.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
cafard

Postby cafard » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:26 am

Well, i can happily post in here now.

Had a good first ~10 games of mainly fooling around and discovering the basic what *not* to do, the useful nature of blast doors, the moving around the ship and venting boarders, etc. Unlocked the Engi ship on the way, but never made it to secotr 8.

Then ran a couple games on the Torus, discovering drones (never bothered before) and went all the way to sector 8, losing in phase 3 to the power surge having not repaired between fights and starting phase 3 on 5 hull, 3 shields and no cloak. I had never bothered with cloak yet, too expensive. Doh. Unlocked layout B though.

Went back to the Kestrel, and unlocked the Red-Tail. One bad run to discover it, then the second one was good (got the cloak to help this time), and game 14 was the first win on easy, unlocking the fed cruiser.

Then it accelerated, with a bit of luck seeing me win on the second go with the fed cruiser and unlocking the stealth cruiser on the way, as well as the fed cruiser B.

My first stealth cruiser run finished dreadfully in the Last Stand with its only 2 shields, but i didn't mind it so much as first, it had been fun, and second, that run unlocked both the Zoltan ship and... the crystal ship!

Couple runs in crystal, one to discover, one to be serious, and i got another win in easy, but crucially it unlocked the layout B. That was game 20.

Game 21 was the practice run on crystal B in normal mode, doing all the stupid stuff, and dying in sector 1. Finally, game 22 was the first win on normal.

In the end, i'm not sure a crystal B run should count: it felt *way* too easy with the 3 lockdown. :lol:
Wariamu

Postby Wariamu » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:15 am

UltraMantis wrote:It's normal to lose many games before finally suceeding. There are deaths that you cannot predict and therefore cannot be ready for. Like getting your oxygen sabotaged. :mrgreen:

Build on your knowledge and take the ship as far as you can. And don't mind the stats too much. Fun is more important than statswhoring.

Good luck.

Oh I do know about all these deaths :lol: That one OP ship randomly popping in your face and destroying your build that was going oh so well so far in the game so far. Oh well, start over again! :(

Thanks, I'll need every bit of luck I can get =)

But I love the whole concept of the game and the core design of it, if you put aside the roguelikeness of it. Not that I don't like the rogue part of the game.. It's just that I'm not such of a fan of the genre honestly. I like when some elements of it are in a game to make it more spicy but I think that a complete rogue is too much.

It's just not fun for me to play for a few hours without winning and just leaving a feeling of not having accomplished anything.

I would love to see this game in a more.. consistent universe where you have a ship and you don't HAVE to start over and over even when you're winning. Where you can more slowly upgrade your ship and maybe where you have more options in what you do in the game. And where you have a story. That would be great.

On the bright side, there are ship unlocks in this game which are a nice add because it helps reduce that feeling.