[SHIP] [AE] [BETA] The Asteroid - BETA 2.0 FOR AE

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
5thHorseman

[SHIP] [AE] [BETA] The Asteroid - BETA 2.0 FOR AE

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:31 am

This mod is in BETA. It may have bugs and I am looking for feedback if anybody could give it a try. See below

Who's crazy enough to go toe-to-toe with the Rebel Flagship in a hollowed out asteroid?

Download version AE BETA 2.0 here: http://pulpaudio.com/ftl/AsteroidAE.ftl
(if you have trouble downloading, try right clicking and selecting "save link as..." in the menu)

Download the OLD version here: http://pulpaudio.com/ftl/Asteroid.ftl
(if you have trouble downloading, try right clicking and selecting "save link as..." in the menu)

This ship, like all of my modded ships, replaces the Kestrel.

The Asteroid has gotten an overhaul, both for AE and just in general. In addition to getting the full Advanced Edition treatment it's gotten a new weapon: Phoenix Missiles. This short-to-recharge missile launcher fires no less than *5* missiles at a time. Also? They pierce even Zoltan shields! Sadly, they do no damage and only start fires.

In Beta 2.0, I took away the 4-man teleporter and 4-man medbay. They encouraged you to drop the fire strategy and just go all-out boarding and where's the fun in that? Now you've got to decide, boring old 2-person teleporter or FIRE FIRE FIRE? To help, I've also given you a drone bay to start and a boarding drone. Aren't I nice?

To do:
  • The ship has no floor graphic. I never notice the floor in-game and it covers some of the ship graphics, so I'm not sure if I'll even do this.
  • I'm not sure on the power of the ship. I'm interested in opinions. And bugs. Or any suggestion really :)

License/Permissions
You may use any design elements for this ship that were made by me in any way you see fit so long as you mention me as the original creator.

Note that I did not create any of the base graphics for anything on this ship. All images are originally from the game and all I did was decide where they would be placed, and fix some seams between rocks.
Last edited by 5thHorseman on Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 9 times in total.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Zremort

Re: [SHIP] The Asteroid

Postby Zremort » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:54 am

I guess I'll be crazy enough to go for the Rebel Flagship in this ship. Assuming this replaces the Kestrel, I shalt be happy. Although, I see no reason why I wouldn't be happy with this if it replaced another ship, but whatever. I'll have a check on it and do a little Let's Play in the future.
Metzelmax

Postby Metzelmax » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:25 am

I would change the laser for a missile weapon. I dont think a holed out asteroid should have weapons as advanced as lasers. :ugeek:
Here is the Stuff I made:
ImageImageImageImage
And stuff is always better than no stuff, right?
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:07 am

Metzelmax wrote:I would change the laser for a missile weapon. I dont think a holed out asteroid should have weapons as advanced as lasers. :ugeek:

Hmmmm. I generally shy away from missiles but in this case I think you have a great point. Limit the number of missiles you start with too and you can force the player to use the boarding strategy with missiles as a backup.

Back to the testing booth!
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:08 am

Zremort wrote:I guess I'll be crazy enough to go for the Rebel Flagship in this ship. Assuming this replaces the Kestrel, I shalt be happy. Although, I see no reason why I wouldn't be happy with this if it replaced another ship, but whatever. I'll have a check on it and do a little Let's Play in the future.

It does replace the Kestrel. I always forget to put that in the first post. I'll fix it now.

Enjoy!
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

Thunderr

Postby Thunderr » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:33 pm

I love the idea, and the ship looks pretty nice, so I'll give it a shot!
5thHorseman wrote:Hmmmm. I generally shy away from missiles but in this case I think you have a great point. Limit the number of missiles you start with too and you can force the player to use the boarding strategy with missiles as a backup.

Back to the testing booth!

Great idea! Seems more vanilla that way.
Starfire

Postby Starfire » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:15 pm

I played this and it seems that the damaged pod should be dropped, I got to the crystal sector and the 4 crystal boarding crew was just too op. :D
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:38 pm

Starfire wrote:I played this and it seems that the damaged pod should be dropped, I got to the crystal sector and the 4 crystal boarding crew was just too op. :D

Any and everything related to the Crystal Dudes is OP, except perhaps unlocking them.

That said, I've pretty much decided to drop the stasis pod, and maybe swap the Mantis for another Rockman.

Thanks for the feedback!
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

CyborgMantis

Postby CyborgMantis » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:25 am

You should give the ship rock plating, since it is an asteroid
darkwing9912

Postby darkwing9912 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:29 pm

Love this mod. My only suggestion would be take out the stasis pod and replace it for say... a renamed slug augment or a repair arm? Other than that, really nice work! Keep it up!