Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

General discussion about the game.
Nimbostratus

Re: Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

Postby Nimbostratus » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:00 pm

Dirka wrote:Mantis B:

Fight Auto-Scout. Fight Auto-Assault. Rinse & repeat ad nauseam.

Finally port back my boarders half a second too late.

FYFTL.

That's why Mantis B has boarding drones.
Dirka

Postby Dirka » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:10 am

Yeah, but boarding drones only really help on Scouts, since the rooms in Assaults are not connected. Meaning you have to whittle down their health with your boarding crew and then pray that the drone does not land in an empty room.

Most of the damn Autos also were trying to jump away, so I had to use my crew to keep the helm and/or engines off line...
Omen267901

Postby Omen267901 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:46 pm

I really haven't had any. (yet). THe biggest one I've had was when I was going for the stealth cruiser type B by getting the achievement for getting to boss with no hazard beacons. Got to sector 7, about to jump to the last beacon before exit. It's a F***ing Ion storm.. no way around, had to jump into it. Jumped into an asteroid field and got wrecked in final sector. To think FTL was being nice before. I beat the game on first run, and even came down to 1 hp that run! Then the stealth ship bull happened.
Kiloku

Postby Kiloku » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:50 pm

Finally got the Crystal crewmember. Had a path full of red sectors ahead of me in either direction.
Couldn't find a single Rock Homeworlds sector...
r 1

Postby r 1 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:07 pm

teleporting dead bodies back to your ship
spacecadet13

Postby spacecadet13 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:00 am

Adjudicator. Good run going on normal, into sector 6, liking my chances of going all the way. I had no teleporter or cloaking, was struggling for scrap most of the way, but some luck picking up weapons and useful stores had me at about 80% hull with a solid weapon loadout, good shields, engines, defence drone I , and had picked up another zoltan, a human, a rock and an engi

Then. Mantis ship.The big one. And a mantis boarding team simultaneously. AND two more from the ship! Yikes, just as well I'd spent that 50 upgrading doors. Man this ship is a pain to vent! Goddamn, there goes one level of shields. And the D Drone just missed that breach missile that hit the helm. Now my Rock pilot is tied up fixing that instead of fighting! More damage incoming! The human takes one hit too many and dies trying to flee to the medbay. The Zoltans and Engi are barely scratching these Mantis's, me frantically shuttling them to and from the medbay. Drone room hit! D Drone shuts down, next breach missle takes down the remaining shields ( did some good damage to the mantis's in there too, but trust me, that was scant consolation at the time), systems failing left and right, hull strength plummetting, mantis's running rampant...the outlook was bleak.

But. The weapons room was somehow unscathed and now fully vented, and finally the ion blasts, heavy laser I and Halberd were getting on top of the Mantis ship, shutting down its shields and limiting the damage it could dish out. And as pretty much every system was already down the mantis's headed for the medbay, which my engi and zoltans had (just!) managed to keep running, and in the 'bay they could hold their own and eventually won a battle of attrition against the remaining mantis's (the two from the ship 'ported back and perished as the Halberd sliced away the last remaining hull points). Yes! I'd survived, but I'm gonna need a store or repairs pronto, hmmm better get these systems back up and breeches fixed, I'll get the injured crew in the medbay let it fix 'em up while I take a deep breath and go grab a coffee, and they'll be 100% and ready to go when I get back. Whew! That was epic!

But. I"d been using one of the Zoltans to power the O2 room...and in bringing all the other systems back on line( I was using every single power bar I'd purchased to that point, plus the 4 from the zoltans to run everything else) I neglected to 1) allocate power to said room and 2) send said Zoltan back to room. A funny thing happens to your crew when there's no power to the oxygen room for a period of time.

Sooooo, I come back with my nice cup of coffee, ready for the challenge of getting this ship with about 5 hull points left through to the boss, see the screen..WTF? Huh, how the hell did that hap...ohhhhhhhh...FYFTL!
RickF7666

Postby RickF7666 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:59 am

I purchased this game from GOG on the recommendation of an acquaintance. I've now played through it about a dozen times and every time it will randomly kill me long before the end, and I'm playing on "easy". I've come to the conclusion that this game has bugs that make this game ultimately unenjoyable. I will be unloading this from my PC until such a time as I have heard that these bugs have been fixed.

Having read many of the posts on this forum and particularly in this thread the general consensus is that being killed off randomly is "fun", I find it massively frustrating. I don't want to assume that the people who play this game are masochists, but this game relies far to heavily on random chance or "luck".

I hope that they continue to develop this game as it does have many challenging and enjoyable parts to it.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:55 am

RickF7666 wrote:I purchased this game from GOG on the recommendation of an acquaintance. I've now played through it about a dozen times and every time it will randomly kill me long before the end, and I'm playing on "easy". I've come to the conclusion that this game has bugs that make this game ultimately unenjoyable. I will be unloading this from my PC until such a time as I have heard that these bugs have been fixed.

Having read many of the posts on this forum and particularly in this thread the general consensus is that being killed off randomly is "fun", I find it massively frustrating. I don't want to assume that the people who play this game are masochists, but this game relies far to heavily on random chance or "luck".

I hope that they continue to develop this game as it does have many challenging and enjoyable parts to it.

This game is very difficult to master, but if you put the time and effort into it you can beat it well over half the time you play. Bad luck will still kill you sometimes, but more often than not you CAN overcome the obstacles in the game.

They're not bugs; they're features. And I'm not a masochist; I prefer overcoming odds and winning when I shouldn't have. The occasional loss just makes those victories all the sweeter.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Kriegson

Postby Kriegson » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:28 am

First zone, level 3 burst laser drops for my zoltan Adjucator.
Basically plow through all zones, eventually have 3 zoltan, 2 engi, 1 rockman and 1 human. Gold Pilot, engine controller, level 4 shields, maxed engines, maxed weapons, stealth level 2 etc.
Probably the best playthough I've gotten yet, take final boss down to third form. Get killed by his "ONESHOTHUEHUEHEU" on the third shot b/c deactivated drone sitting in steath room has to be killed before I can repair steath.

Also, warping in next to suns. F**K suns.
Dirka

Postby Dirka » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:44 am

More of a FYRL moment, but it was still frustrating:

Rocking another shot at the Crystal Quest, things were lining up; had the pod open and still some red sectors to go. Ship loadout was stupid OP, I was thinking about going rebel farming if I didn't hit the Rock Homeworld, just to bust the highscore.

Then, when I just started a fight with a dinky Fed Scout pirate, the doorbell rings. It's the painter, here to paint the attic windows. I let him in, set him up and come back to the Game Over screen. Turns out I forgot to pause.

:oops: