[Ship] Terran Battlecruiser (Starcraft)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
tokepoke

[Ship] Terran Battlecruiser (Starcraft)

Postby tokepoke » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:29 pm

Download link
Use Slipstream mod manager to install the mod.
Demonstrative video(pre-advanced edition version)

Minor update: swapped the sensor and pilot rooms and small visual changes. Reduced hull armor upgrade bonus to 20%.

Larger update: new custom weapon: Burst laser battery. Swapped the hull lasers for laser batteries on the ship. Decreased neosteel armor price. Overall difficulty slightly increased as a result of update.

Major update: updated to work in advanced edition (old one crashes the game). 2 new ships: Minotaur-Class and Hercules-Class Battlecruisers which replace fed-B and fed-C. Dropped hull armor upgrade (now rock armor stays rock armor). Modified the Laser Battery weapon.

The Behemoth-Class Battlecruiser is a virtual flying fortress, built to keep peace and dominance within the koprulu sector.

This ship replaces the Osprey (federal cruiser type A).

Vulnerable to beams and drones. Disable them with the laser and pre-igniter.

Starting equipment:
reactor: 6 bars
artillery lvl-1
all subsystems lvl-2
lvl-2 systems: medbay, oxygen, engine, weapons
Laser Battery (3 damage, 1 shield piercing, 16 seconds cooldown)
3 human crew
Weapon Pre-igniter

Artillery: Yamato cannon, Fires a 6 damage plasma bolt that pierces all shields and has a high chance of fire. Does terrible, terrible damage.

This is the artillery weapon on all the battlecruisers.

The Minotaur-Class Battlecruiser is a new design brought by the Dominion after the Brood War.

This ship replaces the Nisos (federal cruiser type B)

Wreaks havoc on unshielded opponents

Starting equipment:
reactor: 8 bars
all subsystems lvl-2
lvl-2 systems: medbay, oxygen, engine, artillery
weapon system lvl-4
2x Laser Charger (the dual laser types)
4 human crew
Long-ranged scanners

This Hercules-Class battlecruiser is heavily modified with a defensive matrix and advanced weapon systems.

This ship replaces the Fregatidae (federal cruiser type C)

Charge up your weapons behind your defensive matrix (zoltan shield).

Starting equipment:
reactor: 7 bars
all subsystems lvl-1
lvl-1 systems: engines, oxygen, medbay, artillery
weapon system lvl-5
Laser Charger (the quadruple one)
Swarm Missiles
3 human crew
Zoltan Shield (it's called a defensive matrix in StarCraft ;) )

EXTRA STAND-ALONE SHIP: Jackson's Revenge
Jackson's Revenge dates back to the early days of the Terran Confederacy. The ship has had dozens of captains. All were killed in action or by the ship's crew.

This ship is separate from the main mod and includes things to work by itself. Replaces federal cruiser type C

Ever wanted to start with all the weapons you'll ever need? Now's your chance!

Starting equipment:
reactor: 8 bars
subsystems lvl-1
lvl-1 systems: engines, oxygen, medbay, artillery
weapon system lvl-8
2x CHAIN VULCAN
3 human crew

Ship images based on the hyperion model used in StarCraft 2's cinematics.
Laser Battery weapon based on the gun model on the Hyperion.
Laser Battery projectile and hit graphics are from the original StarCraft.
Yamato Cannon graphics are also from the original StarCraft.
Last edited by tokepoke on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Kiloku

Re: [Ship] Terran Battlecruiser (Starcraft)

Postby Kiloku » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:28 pm

Which ship does it replace?
tokepoke

Postby tokepoke » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:48 pm

Kiloku wrote:Which ship does it replace?

The Federal Cruiser type A, The Osprey
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:24 pm

It looks really good, good job, but that artillery beam seems a "bit" overpowered?
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
Kiloku

Postby Kiloku » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:26 am

I tried, but the fact that this ship has level 1 everything and no shields make it die very easily. It seems OP, and probably turns OP if you survive up to Sector 3 or 4. But it's a sitting duck early on.
tokepoke

Postby tokepoke » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:46 am

Well, testing this myself: The ship needs A LOT of scrap to make it op. Getting lucky with early shields makes it easier to get it op i think (haven't managed to do that yet). You also need a lot better guns, the reasoning behind the hull lasers is slow reload and poor laser count/power so you'll need better/more lasers (you really don't want to stick with the hull lasers from start to finish, even some vanilla ships have good starting weapons that you want to keep to the end). Weapon preigniter so it has a chance of taking out systems, especially drones. Also the lasers' hull damage bonus is something that you can rarely take advantage of because you need to take out enemy systems to stay alive (or at least not have half of your hull points taken away in one fight). At first, when I was making it, it had 2 dual lasers and 2 heavy lasers without preigniter, which made it extremely powerful against some ships but almost instantly die to others, so now I think its more well rounded.

And yes, the yamato cannon is very powerful, a real life saver (as I feel it should be), but enemies can dodge it, so it's a bit less reliable than the artillery beam. I once died because I heavily invested to the yamato and then the enemy dodged it 3 times in a row.

The armor augment probably could be tweaked to make it less powerful, maybe like 20% or back to the original 15%, but I've died in sector one even, and because of that I don't feel like it's too easy. Just a bit more powerful than most vanilla ships and, in certain ways, more comfortable to play. (so i guess it's slightly op, which is fine by me as a battlecruiser should feel pretty kickass)
Example: I got to sector 8 with full weapons and 4 engines, floating 400 scrap and desperately trying to find a store that sells shields, ended up dying with 600 scrap to a ship before the boss. Having that much extra scrap and surviving is probably not even possible or at least very unlikely for other ships.
Kiloku wrote:I tried, but the fact that this ship has level 1 everything and no shields make it die very easily. It seems OP, and probably turns OP if you survive up to Sector 3 or 4. But it's a sitting duck early on.

I've died in sectors 5 and 6, it doesn't feel like it turns op unless you get some real good weapons to replace the stock ones/or get shields and hang in the fight disabling offensive systems and letting the yamato do the work.

Keep the feedback coming, and I hope this post clarifies some of my reasoning in design, thus making it easier to point out flaws or whatnot.
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:59 am

LOL. Nah, i didnt notice u changed the artillery beam for a laser weapon. Of course, an artillery beam of 6 damage per room will kill any ship once its activated. But a laser weapons is different, yes.

Anyways, the basic (i think) of all moded ships is that u need to have hard times trying to make the ship to survive in the first sectors, then go easily through sectors 4-7 and then have hard times in the last sector and fighting the boss.. lol. So, the need to shut down some enemiy systems in the beginning to manage to kill em, its completely normal, unless u have no shields, but in this case u have the pre igniter, if use it well, u will receive 1 or 2 hits per battle and thats it once u reach the enemy in the first pre ignited shot. Almost for the 2 first sectors. After that, its supossed u have upgraded enough the ship to survive easily.

But as u said, there is no way u can make a ship with no shields real balanced, u will always get a really weak ship or an op ship, so i guess u did a good job here.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
tokepoke

Postby tokepoke » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:34 am

Ah, I see your point. Thank you very much for the compliments. Also good to know that how modded ships generally play out. This is my first mod ever to any game and I'm very happy it turned out so good. :D
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:11 pm

I just did a LP of your ship. Very fun to play!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... RItv7m3ZOw
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Yonnor

Postby Yonnor » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:13 pm

Could I request a mirror to the link, possibly on dropbox? My command blocks your current link. :/ Thank you ahead of time!