You ever do something with the reason of "because I can"?

General discussion about the game.
IConquer

You ever do something with the reason of "because I can"?

Postby IConquer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:13 am

http://i.imgur.com/nGQlKsH.jpg

I had a burst laser III for the whole game as my only way of breaking shields, and suddenly I happen upon a glaive beam in a shop. I decided "what the hey?" and bought it, sold all my other weapons.

1 sector later, I stumble upon a weapon pre-igniter in another shop. GG flagship.

Stages 1 and 2 died in 2 volleys, the first volley being at the first second, and the third stage took four due to rng. It was pretty epic.
966socho

Re: You ever do something with the reason of "because I can"

Postby 966socho » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:38 am

http://i.imgur.com/QGjUsYl.png

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

And so, the valiant crew of FSS Carnelian, after a daring and clever heist, was able to take over the battered Rebel Flagship. So careful as to not activate the AI and awaken the slumbering beast, they locked the last of her crew in the Weapons Room.

They piloted her back to Beta Kaltaxon, the center of the Rebel Empire. Under the pretense of having "conquered" the Federation base, called for a summit of all the most important Rebel leadership. Captain Heng could only imagine the look of surprise on Emperor Petel I as the Flagship he so prided aimed the Superweapon at the Court, seconds before everyone with influence among the Rebels were vaporized. The Federation could once again reestablish peace among the races.
966socho

Postby 966socho » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:00 am

[This thread probably belongs in Storytelling. Then again, most threads in Discussion do. :P ]

I'm looking at this topic and want to hear more responses. In the interest of reviving this topic, here's the Bizzaro Mantis B(taken from reddit). If that's not the epitome of doing something in FTL because you can, I don't know what is.
Marinealver

Postby Marinealver » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:57 pm

I had a blue event on a Pirate intimidating a small settlement. Since I had a Fire Beam the blue event allowed me to "show the pirates how it is done" setting fire to the settlement and helping the pirates extort "tribute" in which they were happy to share with me. Come to think of it that was rather unbecoming of a Federation Officer.
Warp Drive or Hyperspace?