[Ship Request] Graphics already done

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Chiko

[Ship Request] Graphics already done

Postby Chiko » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:22 pm

Hello, I got FTL a while ago and absolutely love the game. I'd love to have my own ship now but I suck at properly modding this game. In addition, there are 1x1 rooms in it... I have no idea if this works since there are no 1x1 rooms in vanilla FTL.

Heres's a pic of the Ship:

Here's one of the Floor Plan:

The ship is really small, and I didn't want to clog the ship's system rooms in the ship so that's why I made 1x1 rooms when I was designing the interior.

About the graphics. Ship, floorplan, room graphics, cloaked version and gibs are all done. I just can't mod them into reality so I'd like to know if the interiors as depicted above is possible.
DCChuckles

Re: [Ship Request] Graphics already done

Postby DCChuckles » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:00 am

Looks great! :)
The ship should work, but keep in mind that rooms that aren't 1x2, 2x1 or 2x2 will not have correct 'no O2' graphics.
Chiko

Postby Chiko » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks for the reply. That's sad news, I kinda like how it looks with those small rooms there. :(
Metzelmax

Postby Metzelmax » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:11 pm

use this:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11251

Really easy to create a ship with it. Just add the images; click and draw rooms ad weapons -> create .ftl is automated.
Takes you about 20 min to create a ship with it.
Here is the Stuff I made:
ImageImageImageImage
And stuff is always better than no stuff, right?
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Honestly, asking people to develop your mod is not the right decision, specially if the game is sooo easy to mod like FTL. The superluminal editor can help u to design and save the ship, after that u only need a coupla of advises (in case u dont know how to use GMM mod manager or something else) and thats it.

About the 1x1 rooms, yea the oxygen graphic will not look ok, but the room will work, so if u dont worry too much about that little issue, u can just let the ships as it is. Trust me, when u design a lot of ships, in the end, sometimes its not an option to avoid 1x1 rooms and other things that the game is not prepared for. So that should not be really a problem. If u dont like the no oxygen graphic to overlap the part of the ship with no room, then make it a 1x2 room or redesign the room layout. Modding means that u will need to re-design some parts of the ship, very often, until u have the right experience. But u need to learn it for yourself, i dont think anybody will help u in this, since modding for FTL as i said is really easy.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
Chiko

Postby Chiko » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:45 am

Thanks for the ship creator link and replies. I actually made the ship. I had to take out the 1x1 rooms, though. The other option was to replace the noO2 red stripes with blank images but then I just decided not to do that.

Not sure about its stats, so I'm posting them here.

Apart from the regular systems this ship also has:
-3 weapon slots.
-Starts with 2 small ion cannons.
-Faster Weapon reload Aug.
-Just 1 Shield.
-Starts with a 2x1 Teleport Room.
-3 Human and 1 Zoltan crew.

Don't know if it's overpowered but it's kinda hard to command at first since the only way to survive combat is to board enemy ships.
ImplacableTardigrade

Postby ImplacableTardigrade » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:45 pm

I really like the aesthetics. A noob myself: Did you use photoshop? And if you edited together multiple vanilla ships where do you find the images to do that?
Chiko

Postby Chiko » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:28 pm

ImplacableTardigrade wrote:I really like the aesthetics. A noob myself: Did you use photoshop? And if you edited together multiple vanilla ships where do you find the images to do that?

I used a similar software called PaintShopPro. It's really old but I could never upgrade to Photoshop. I'm too used to this one. Besides, PSP works just fine, I don't want to pay for another image editor. ;)

And to get the vanilla images you need to unpack both Data and Resources files. The link posted in one of the previous posts contains an unpacker or you can get one from the modding tools in one of the threads in this forums.
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:16 pm

Send me a PM with links to download the relevant files and I'll compile it into an .ftl for you.
1x1 rooms are bad bad, because they will have 1x2 no-oxygen stripes meaning it will look like an adjacent room has no air, even if it does, when the 1x1 room is devoid of air. So, they should be avoided at all costs if you want your mod to not look buggy when played.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:42 pm

@Dry
*shrug* since it's only a graphical bug, you can always replace the stripe graphics to get the look from earlier versions of FTL, since the yellow outline is still in the game, IIRC. And 1x1 rooms are handy in cramped layouts.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL