[Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal [NOT UPDATED TO AE]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
kartoFlane

Re: [Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - 5-3-13b

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:54 pm

@Husky
The room interior images get stretched to fit in the room - that's how they are displayed in-game. You want a room to not get stretched, you have to make a new image that fits in that room perfectly (for example, if you have a 3x2 room, you have to make a 105x70 pixels image)

And I don't know what you mean that the gibs are not showing... If I understood correctly, you're not seeing the hull image? You can set it up using the "Hull" button at the top of the editor.

And thank you :)

@Weltall
Gah, I'm not a braggy person :E But thank you anyway :P
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Husky

Postby Husky » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:43 am

i mean like when you load a ship and put more gibs in it how do i make that show up when im editing the rooms. T.T if i have to save the gib pic to make it into the hull picture how do i do that? also how do i place the room subordinate <when i made the driver room the slot where hes on the computer is on the way back cornor then i did the shift left clicking but didnt work :(>

and thx :3
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:28 pm

Weltall Zero wrote:
Also, you definitely should make Superluminal's link on your signature bigger and probably the first thing in it, it's something to be hugely proud of. Don't be so modest! :D "Best FTL ship editor ever" would be more accurate, but I guess that would be a bit over the top for yourself.

I totally agree. :D , this not only the best editor so far, its glad to see KartoFlane keep improving it and trying to hear / solve all the users issues.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
Weltall Zero

Postby Weltall Zero » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:30 pm

I got that issue that speedoflight mentioned a few pages ago, the one where the ship loads fine in the editor, but is misaligned in-game. I've uploaded both the .shp and the compiled .ftl to Google Drive so you can check them out.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwgV6Pd ... sp=sharing
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:55 pm

Weltall Zero wrote:I got that issue that speedoflight mentioned a few pages ago, the one where the ship loads fine in the editor, but is misaligned in-game. I've uploaded both the .shp and the compiled .ftl to Google Drive so you can check them out.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwgV6Pd ... sp=sharing

As far as i know, the editor will not place the ship in the correct position on the hangar, it doesnt matter where u put the ship in the editor. Happened again to me in my last ship i made, its supossed the offsets are 9,1 but everytime i make a ship, it is showed in the lower portion of the hangar screen, it doesnt matter if i make the ship in the upper left corner of the editor, or at the bottom. And sometimes, the room layout as missaligned with the image.. Fortunately, now i have more skills on placing ships and i dont waste more than 4 or 5 tries until i get the correct position of the ship (modifying manually the values on the txt files, of course).
But as KartoFlane said, there is already an option to solve the vertical alignement, so we just need to wait until the next update :)
Last edited by speedoflight on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Cyl0

Postby Cyl0 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:28 am

First of great work!

Onto my trouble. I made a nice little ship with some custom graphics. But when I try to export it, the editor doesn't manage to include all the room graphics. (It usually only manages to get one of them) One of my rooms is 1x3 is that a problem?

While I am here I might as well ask: How do I add monitor glow to the rooms (and the glow from the cloaking room)
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:02 pm

Cyl0 wrote:First of great work!

Onto my trouble. I made a nice little ship with some custom graphics. But when I try to export it, the editor doesn't manage to include all the room graphics. (It usually only manages to get one of them) One of my rooms is 1x3 is that a problem?

While I am here I might as well ask: How do I add monitor glow to the rooms (and the glow from the cloaking room)

Thats weird, anyways, i never use the images exported in the editor, i only use the editor to make the room layout, create the floor image and thats it. I change the values refering the interior image directly on the txt files... and other things. U should do the same.

Anyways, no. 3x1 rooms are not supported, but i dont think thats the problem.. ¿?

About the glows.. u cant. I mean, as far as i know , rooms without any system installed cant be filled with images. I wish u could lol. And the glows are linked to the manned systems. Rooms without manned systems (like sensors, doors, oxygen) cant be filled with glows, with the exception of the cloaking room. But u can add any glow u want to a manned system room. But will be a little extensive to explain how to use gimp to create glows... u should just look at any mod that uses interior custom images with glows. If u can wait 1 or 2 days, my mod have em. And i included some custom cloaking glows in the last update i will upload shortly. But of course, if u have no idea on how to use an image editor , u first must start with that... or nothing we could tell u will work..
ImageImage
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:34 pm

To add glows first create a transparent image with the glow then name it sytemname_glow1.png. You also need sytemname_glow2.png and sytemname_glow3.png for the experienced/expert manned systems. The game engine will pickup the glow images if they have the same name as the system sprite with the _glowN suffix. The best way to create glows is to load the room sprite in a bitmap editor and paint glows in a separate layer on top of the room. Export the glow layer as a .png image.

Creating fancy glows requires feathered masks and is probably not worth the bother. My Marauders mod features custom made glows, though some are better than others. It will show you how the naming works. Look into blueprints.xml.append and the img/ship/interior files to see how they are named.

As of FTL 1.3.01 glows are bugged and only level 1 and level 2 glow images are used.

Weapons, Shields, Engines and Cloaking support glows, though nothing prevents you from painting glows in every room (it will allways be on though). IceLord has a MedBay with green glows for example, and it looks passable.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Cyl0

Postby Cyl0 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:06 pm

UltraMantis wrote:To add glows first create a transparent image with the glow then name it sytemname_glow1.png. You also need sytemname_glow2.png and sytemname_glow3.png for the experienced/expert manned systems. The game engine will pickup the glow images if they have the same name as the system sprite with the _glowN suffix. The best way to create glows is to load the room sprite in a bitmap editor and paint glows in a separate layer on top of the room. Export the glow layer as a .png image.

Creating fancy glows requires feathered masks and is probably not worth the bother. My Marauders mod features custom made glows, though some are better than others. It will show you how the naming works. Look into blueprints.xml.append and the img/ship/interior files to see how they are named.

As of FTL 1.3.01 glows are bugged and only level 1 and level 2 glow images are used.

Weapons, Shields, Engines and Cloaking support glows, though nothing prevents you from painting glows in every room (it will allways be on though). IceLord has a MedBay with green glows for example, and it looks passable.

Well at least that's what I did already (with the naming and creation of the glows). Its just that I found no way in the editor to load them, so if i pack my own ftl files it should solve itself. How do you pack the files into a *.ftl'

*edit i just learned flt files are renamed zip files so i should be okay.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:08 pm

Cyl0 wrote:*edit i just learned flt files are renamed zip files so i should be okay.

Yep, just follow the proper folder hierarchy. Also make sure the file is indeed zip, as rar or 7z will not work. Maybe in future versions of GMM, i wouldn't know.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.