Ship of many captains

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
mcbmaestro

Ship of many captains

Postby mcbmaestro » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:57 pm

Just felt I should mention this playthrough I had with the Kestrel A, I lost all but one crew trying to get an achievement which left me with a tattered ship on fire with 1 hp hull left and one crew alive. I got the achievement but instead of restarting, I wanted to give this last Zoltan survivor a fighting chance for what he already endured and pressed on.

It took ages but he eventually repaired the ship himself and got underway, I was pleasantly surprised to see him taking down one bad guy after the next all by his lonesome. Eventually a crew member was rescued and another was purchased and suddenly it looked like this run through FTL might have a miraculous ending. Then the heroic pilot was eaten by alien spiders and the new recruit found himself the next acting captain until another recruit came along so he could return to engines duty.

Things went pretty typically up to the end boss, with no casualties but the poor Kestrel had terrible luck with stores, and very little got upgraded. It was going to be cutting it very close at the end.

Upon reaching the boss, the Kestrel was taking hits left and right, O2 was down, fires were raging, there was almost no air left. Fortunatly they hung on just long enuf to survive stage one and retreat to a repair point.

Arriving at the repair point, the ship was again a mess. A few bars of hull left, fires raging and no air left. In a desperate last ditch attempt to save the crew, I repaired the O2 room right as 3 of my crew were on their last percent of health. Sadly, my weapons expert just barely didnt make it, two others did however as well as the captain.

Undeterred, they flew back for round two, this time taking an even bigger beating, so much so they could not stay long enough to defeat the boss and again had to retreat.

After a quick stop at a shop to repair with the last scrap I had, the crew returned and was able to defeat the boss to round 3.

By this point, there was no time left, and the Kestrel just didn't have the firepower.. it was going to get outgunned. In a desperate move, the Engi, my engines guy, teleported to the enemy Leto launcher, he died in the process, but bought just enough time to edge out enough hits to finish off the boss.

In the end, four crew survived, none of which were from the original crew in a ship held together with duct tape. Definitly the little ship that could. :)
theomorphical

Re: Ship of many captains

Postby theomorphical » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:50 pm

awww such a beautiful story...... except for the part when the got new recruits and started a comeback :twisted:
mcbmaestro

Postby mcbmaestro » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:16 pm

theomorphical wrote:awww such a beautiful story...... except for the part when the got new recruits and started a comeback :twisted:

hehe ive read some other FTL stories and i see those giant spiders are quite good at taking out captains :)
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:04 am

I seem to be getting spiders in early sectors when the reward is a meagre 9 scrap or so. Not worth the risk. Otoh i wonder if i would take a chance in the late game...
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
MC3craze

Postby MC3craze » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:46 pm

I always come across the spiders when using the Mantis cruiser type B. I find the boarding drone option hilarious.
Mycroft113

Postby Mycroft113 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:42 am

This is a pretty good story
hybridfive

Postby hybridfive » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:32 pm

MC3craze wrote:I always come across the spiders when using the Mantis cruiser type B. I find the boarding drone option hilarious.

Bio Beam option is better.