[TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open source!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
The Hawk

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open sou

Postby The Hawk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:28 am

HELP ME PLEASE:
i've tried to create a ship following alextfish's guide more than 5 times now and modman reports some sort of error and the box closes without patching the game. i dont know what im doing wrong and i dont want to spend another 3 hours trying to create a ship. i've followed every single step to the maximum and i wont resist much longer the need to shout swearwords at everything i see. it's driving me insane. if anyone knows why the **** my .ftl export does not work, please reply.
nataryeahbuddy

Postby nataryeahbuddy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:20 am

Hah. The rooms are still offset of the image, even though I lined them up correctly in the editor. Any fixes?
My most popular mod! Over 290 Downloads!
Advanced Weapons and Shields!
My second most popular mod! Over 240 Downloads!
Advanced Battle Systems!
An awesome ship with custom graphics and two new weapons!
F-22A Raptor for FTL
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:10 am

The Hawk wrote:HELP ME PLEASE:
i've tried to create a ship following alextfish's guide more than 5 times now and modman reports some sort of error and the box closes without patching the game. i dont know what im doing wrong and i dont want to spend another 3 hours trying to create a ship. i've followed every single step to the maximum and i wont resist much longer the need to shout swearwords at everything i see. it's driving me insane. if anyone knows why the **** my .ftl export does not work, please reply.

Why dont you upload it somewhere as send us a link?
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
FTLmodder28

Postby FTLmodder28 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:22 am

Just move it to the desktop for somereason FTL has a permission block when modifying a file in a certain way from the main dir. I use the Starcraft Mod as a template and mod that mod with my own. Simply fix.
The Hawk

Postby The Hawk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:57 pm

UltraMantis wrote:
The Hawk wrote:HELP ME PLEASE:

Why dont you upload it somewhere as send us a link?

Well... i dont how to do this, although, i've checked random pages of this thread and it seems that using something different than zip causes problems (i use winrar). i've managed to create a ship but it's pretty basic... i took the vortex, added to rooms in the middle (teleporter and medbay), changed weapons, drones, augments and systems and exported it and it worked (so i still have default vortex base and floor).

I'mn at my school so i'll post more info later.

EDIT: (through my iPod, but still in school) in the guide by alexyfish, he explain how to create a ship but with the user's personal ship base. This is not what I want, instead I tried to edit the red-tail but after moving the background, I realized that the floor plan was not attached. So, I took his empty image as a floor plan. After editing the ship and all, I exported in .ftl format. I copied the full folder with data,img and the .ftl to desktop in case I would screw up. Then I changed the extension to .rar as I don't have zip. After changing the extension to rar, whenever I try to open or extract the rar, a box appears to tell me that some folder or file is unreadable or corrupted, the rar still extract or open after anyway. I closed the box and extracted the rar. I moved the empty image (renamed as myship_floor) inside the ship folder (I also specified the floor name in ftledit options, after having to start over agin for the fifth time). I rezipped Data and img (with winrar) and renamed the extension as .ftl. When I putted it in the mod folder and then opened modman, I patched the game with nothing but my ship and the cmd window reported an error and closed. That's pretty much all I did.

Thanks for reporting me any mistake(s) I could have made.
nataryeahbuddy

Postby nataryeahbuddy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:34 pm

Hey... A little help with the offset, room and ship don't link up! :D
My most popular mod! Over 290 Downloads!
Advanced Weapons and Shields!
My second most popular mod! Over 240 Downloads!
Advanced Battle Systems!
An awesome ship with custom graphics and two new weapons!
F-22A Raptor for FTL
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:40 am

Hawk

A ship consists of a base image, a floor plan, shield, cloak image and gibs. These images are named shipname_base shipname_floor _shield1 _cloak and _gib1 to _gib6. The rooms themselves and the doors/airlocks are defined in shipname.txt and are unrelated to images. All images are moved together with the base image. The file shipname.xml has this data, there you enter the dimensions of the base image and x and y offset in pixels. With this offset you can move the base image up/down and left/right and all the other images will be moved as well.
To move rooms you must edit shipname.txt, there you have X_OFFSET and Y_OFFSET. These do not move rooms in pixels but rather in blocks or 35 pixels (witdth of one room segment). You cannot use negative values here, 0 is minimum. Setting X_OFFSET and Y_OFFSET to 0 will place the rooms in the top left corner of the part of the screen where the ship is normally displayed. Just below the healthbar and next to the crew name.
The often confusing part is that moving the rooms also moves the base image by the same amount, so what you should do is move the rooms until you place them roughly in the center, then move the base image to align the ship to the rooms.

I belive WinRAR has the ability to pack files into zips. It may not be a default option but it can be done. If not, then try 7zip, as it can pack as zip and can unpack zip, 7z and rar files.
The Hawk

Postby The Hawk » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:20 pm

UltraMantis wrote:Hawk

A ship consists of a base image, a floor plan, shield, cloak image and gibs. These images are named shipname_base shipname_floor _shield1 _cloak and _gib1 to _gib6. The rooms themselves and the doors/airlocks are defined in shipname.txt and are unrelated to images. All images are moved together with the base image. The file shipname.xml has this data, there you enter the dimensions of the base image and x and y offset in pixels. With this offset you can move the base image up/down and left/right and all the other images will be moved as well.
To move rooms you must edit shipname.txt, there you have X_OFFSET and Y_OFFSET. These do not move rooms in pixels but rather in blocks or 35 pixels (witdth of one room segment). You cannot use negative values here, 0 is minimum. Setting X_OFFSET and Y_OFFSET to 0 will place the rooms in the top left corner of the part of the screen where the ship is normally displayed. Just below the healthbar and next to the crew name.
The often confusing part is that moving the rooms also moves the base image by the same amount, so what you should do is move the rooms until you place them roughly in the center, then move the base image to align the ship to the rooms.

I belive WinRAR has the ability to pack files into zips. It may not be a default option but it can be done. If not, then try 7zip, as it can pack as zip and can unpack zip, 7z and rar files.

Hummm... I don't think I need help with moving the ship's image, but thanks for trying to help me.
I managed to create a ship as long as I keep vanilla base, floor, shield, etc. because otherwise, I'll have to edit the ftl file and that's where everything stops working.

Also! I have found annoying bugs in ftledit. After clicking the option button while designing my ship, I can still accidently move rooms and doors THROUGH the option window. Made me had to restart since I can't find a way to load exported ships I made. That's another thing, how do I recover ships I exported? Loading the complete bottom ship in the game ship list makes me load the ship with the design I made but the systems all randomize and the ship options all go back to the original ship's options.
UltraSnaky

Postby UltraSnaky » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:55 am

I'm having the same problem as Hyrda74 from a while ago. Whenever I try to select my custom ship, the game closes and I just get a window saying:

Runtime Error!
This application has requested runtime to terminate it in a unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more infomation.

I'd just finished adding the weapon mounts. My ship isn't really that custom, just the slug cruiser B with a different room plan, different weapons, systems and crew. It's got the same img files as the normal one.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:06 am

UltraMantis wrote:Check the tags for spaces:

Code: Select all

<pilot power="1" room="0" start="true" img="room_pilot" />
<doors power="1" room="12" start="true" img="room_doors" />
normally it's:
<pilot power="1" room="0" start="true" img="room_pilot"/>
<doors power="1" room="12" start="true" img="room_doors"/>

Closing tags for systems with defined slots:

Code: Select all

<medbay power="1" room="7" start="true" img="room_medbay"/>
   <slot>
      <direction>right</direction>
      <number>-2</number>
   </slot>
is incorrect. When slots are defined a closing tag must be included after the <slot> tag.
This is correct:
<medbay power="1" room="7" start="true" img="room_medbay">
   <slot>
      <direction>right</direction>
      <number>-2</number>
   </slot>
</medbay>

Note that the / is removed from the end of the opening <medbay> tag, and instead placed in the closing </medbay> tag. Systems with <slot> data are treated differently.

This is a copy of a post i made a few days ago. Possibly it can help you as well. It aaint images, the game would use invisible ones, it's an error in blueprints.xml or shipname.xml, or both.