What are other Games like FTL? Are there any Alternatives?

General discussion about the game.
FTLmodder28

What are other Games like FTL? Are there any Alternatives?

Postby FTLmodder28 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:08 pm

I only know of a few Space Simulations that play like FTL...I'd like to Recommend

Galactic Civilizations 2, Mine has the 3 expansion packs (Starwars, Startrek and Battlestar Gallactica Total Conversion Mods) The Game is epic, slow for single player vs cpu battles. Mutiplayer is solid. It has alot of the same elements, Mine for resources and search for tech, Random Events, Random Universe Generation! Nice Research Trees, One of the most Customizable in game, games ever made. The Ability to Create Civilizations on Inhabitable planets and govern them. You can Adjust Game speed by altering settings. The only catch is it's a very expensive game considering how old it is for the Trilogy. And to get the mods to install, Launch and work correctly...

Dark Orbit - Agressive, Addictive Space Sim with tons of Trolls and hackers/botters who will camp out in lowbie areas with Armadas - if you don't buy a 25-30 dollar ship Goliath your pretty much screwed. The game has a serious problem with Censorship and It's Spam and Flood Filter sucks. Apart from many flaws that plague and otherwise decent game. It allows you to build space station factories which works much like facebook games. I suggest everyone who likes playing scifi spacewarfare games to give this one a Spin at least once or watch a Let's Play video on it.

If yall have anymore to suggest I'd like to hear some Recommendations...Though I play FTL all the time and it never gets boring well maybe a little Depressing and frustrating. =) You know? Since it's design to kill you before you obtain your goal.
FTLmodder28

Re: What are other Games like FTL? Are there any Alternative

Postby FTLmodder28 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:13 pm

Sry I put this in the wrong Section...Can you please move this to General Discussion mods. Thanks. I know this has no business being here. I do apologize.
ruler

Postby ruler » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:01 pm

On this topic, I'd like to know of any board games similar to it.

The only thing similar I've played is Battlestar Galactica, in which players defend the ship from enemy fighters, cruisers and infiltrators, while keeping resources (fuel, population, food, morale) positive.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Weird Worlds was one of the games that inspired FTL.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
FTLmodder28

Postby FTLmodder28 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:49 pm

I'm give Space Rangers 2 a try. ;)
FTLmodder28

Postby FTLmodder28 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:50 pm

Yeah Board Games is a great idea, I remember playing the ol robotech games I think this would be a great Board Game. FTL the Board game - Patient dat Shiz yall make the Dream happen!
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:00 pm

FTLmodder28 wrote:I'm give Space Rangers 2 a try. ;)

I like that one. Very nice. Crashed like crazy, but overall i like the game a lot more than i though i would.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Flotilla is a game that plays very much like a wackier mini FTL (Although the combat aspect is quite different).

Edit:
King of Dragon Pass, on the other hand, is a completely different setting, but has a very similar event system to FTL, certainly worth a look too.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:11 am

On Amiga in 1996, there was a game on Aminet called SoloTrek II.
When I first saw FTL I immediately thought of it.

Pick one of one of the TNG species' ships (Klingon or Romulan were easiest because of cloaking) and visit every sector in a 16x16 grid (256 squares!). No saving. Six difficulty levels, of course culminating in "resistance is futile".
IIRC the plot was "Why? Because we told you to."

Along the way, you'd have to
  • Constantly repair failing systems
  • Manage allocation of limited power
  • Mine asteroids and nebulae to get more power
  • Exchange volleys with enemy ships (losing precious energy in the process)
  • Build your chief engineer's skill (faster repair time) by training at stations
  • Endure random events like wormholes, Q, borg cubes, alien experimenters who want half your crew, finding colonists who donate a few, etc.

It was from the perspective of someone on the bridge: a viewscreen on the upper-right, a panel with power levels on the left, status on the lower-right, and controls/damage reports on the lower-left. No intra ship targeting or boarding. Your crew count acted as hit points.

If anyone's got the WinUAE emulator set up and feels nostalgic, here are links.
Game: SoloTrek II
Patch: AGA Graphics Fix
Guide: Star Map

solotrek_screenshot1.png

solotrek_screenshot2.png
Last edited by Vhati on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:23 am

Then there's Ur-Quan Masters an open-source remake of Star Control II.

It's a bit different than FTL in that it's oriented around top-down navigating your ship through 2D space, visiting star systems' planets to harvest minerals (currency), politicking with lots of unique alien species via dialogue trees, and dogfighting when that fails. While this is going on, a far-reaching aggressive species is having a civil war, and they eventually annihilate everyone else if you take too long.

Game: Ur-Quan Masters
Guide: StarMap (vital)
Guide: OpenUHS Hint System (helpful)

There are let's play videos on youtube.