[TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open source!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Darkfrost

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open sou

Postby Darkfrost » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:40 am

myship.ftl isn't a valid zip file, I'm guessing
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
uruz

Postby uruz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:06 am

Really appreciate the work, but I don't quite understand why I am seeing a deployment manifest in the release. To my understanding, that file is pretty useless unless the release is distributed via ClickOnce, which does not seem to be the case here. Not that the manifest is doing anything, I m simply curious.

Also, seeing that many people are having trouble unpacking the .dat files, is it possible for you to bundle some utilities such as ftldat into your project, and do the trick without using GMM? It should be easy enough to ask users for their steam installation directory, figure out where FTL is, then pass the paths of the two dat files as arguments to a hidden process, making the unpacking transparent to the user.

Thanks again for this great tool!
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Tails wrote:
alextfish wrote:But I'd guess that one possible problem might be that you might be creating a file in "7z" or "z" format, not "zip" format. When you zip up your data and img directories, be sure that you're creating a "zip" file, not a "7z" file.

But the zip file gets renamed right into an .ftl anyway, so dies it matter if it's a zip or .7z?

The contents of the file and the name of the file are completely different things!

If I write a text file describing my cat, saved as mycat.txt, and then rename mycat.txt to mycat.jpg, do you think I'll be able to open it as a JPEG and see a photo of my cat? Or if I take a photo of my cat, saved as cat2.jpg, and then rename it to cat2.txt, do you think I'll be able to open it as a text file and read a description of how warm and fluffy my cat is? No, of course not.

Similarly, 7z and ZIP are completely different archive formats. The contents of the archive will be different.

You need to create the archive of your data and img folders as a ZIP archive, not as a 7z archive.

Once you've created the ZIP archive, then you rename it to .ftl. It's still a ZIP archive, and not a 7z archive, it just has a different name.

Or maybe I'm doing it wrong by zipping the data and img folders into a zip and then renaming it an .ftl
No, that sounds correct. That's what you should be doing.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
Tails

Postby Tails » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:01 pm

I appreciate all the help guys, I've now got two ships completed for myself. My issue turned out to be that i was unzipping and editing and re-zipping everything unnecessarily. It was a lot of work and I ended up screwing myself my zipping it into a .7z every time, which modman.exe did not like at all. I've just been opening the archives in with 7z when i need to end editing everything from within and letting 7z update automatically when i save and exit each file. It's worked like a dream so far.
nlmaster

Postby nlmaster » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:02 pm

This Mod works great, but one thing i did notice was the absence of the option to add an artillery beam system to a modified ship. Otherwise i have no problems with is and i can make ships with ease.
Shrooblord

Postby Shrooblord » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:36 pm

nlmaster wrote:This Mod works great, but one thing i did notice was the absence of the option to add an artillery beam system to a modified ship. Otherwise i have no problems with is and i can make ships with ease.
Isn't that because we don't quite know yet how to get that to work on other ships than the one it was designed for?
Lemony Lime

Postby Lemony Lime » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:10 am

I can't load ships that I save. Afaik, I'm doing it right, but it gives me this error, and then nothing happens:

Code: Select all

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at FTLShipEdit.SelectShipForm.listBox1_DoubleClick(Object sender, EventArgs e) in e:\Documents\GitHub\FTLEdit\SelectShipForm.cs:line 334
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnDoubleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
FTLShipEdit
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Jonathan/Desktop/FTLShipEdit/FTLShipEdit.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
sfmlnet-window-2
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Jonathan/Desktop/FTLShipEdit/sfmlnet-window-2.DLL
sfmlnet-graphics-2
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Jonathan/Desktop/FTLShipEdit/sfmlnet-graphics-2.DLL
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
HtmlAgilityPack
    Assembly Version: 1.4.6.0
    Win32 Version: 1.4.6.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Jonathan/Desktop/FTLShipEdit/HtmlAgilityPack.DLL
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

It also says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Also, 9 times out of 10, when trying to move the background image, the program crashes. Sometimes it crashes as soon as I click the button.
Weltall Zero

Postby Weltall Zero » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:22 pm

nlmaster wrote:This Mod works great, but one thing i did notice was the absence of the option to add an artillery beam system to a modified ship. Otherwise i have no problems with is and i can make ships with ease.

You don't have the problem with a ship having its background and rooms displaced with respect to each other in some cases? Say, open the Kestrel and delete its upper (left side of the ship) airlock, save and use it. For me it shifts all rooms one space with respect to the ship graphic, and there's no way to fix it.
EchoesofOld

Postby EchoesofOld » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:17 am

Weltall Zero wrote:

You don't have the problem with a ship having its background and rooms displaced with respect to each other in some cases? Say, open the Kestrel and delete its upper (left side of the ship) airlock, save and use it. For me it shifts all rooms one space with respect to the ship graphic, and there's no way to fix it.

Amen bro. I had that issue with my Buffalo Cruiser (Shameless post advertising for the win!!! Haha, but seriously...) and have decided that I probably COULD figure out the tweaks in FTLEdit, but I dont yet know if it's worth the trouble
The Rebel Flagship: The only ship to make the DemonStar look like a pansy.

Be ye wary of the ship with the demon airlock...
F1R3_F1R3

Postby F1R3_F1R3 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Activation of C:\Users\My Name\Downloads\FTLShipEdit\FTLShipEdit.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Application manifest has either a different computed hash than the one specified or no hash specified at all.
+ File, FTLShipEdit.exe.manifest, has a different computed hash than specified in manifest.

Got this a reason for error when opening it, any help?