Yea we're winning, lets board the final boss!

General discussion about the game.
BeastEye

Yea we're winning, lets board the final boss!

Postby BeastEye » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:34 pm

Hello there.

So I was using this tactic there I basically storm the enemy ship with my crew and spam EMPs to disable its systems while also sending in drones in order to kill all the crew. Works great, every time. Until the final boss. Don’t get me wrong, the tactic works as amazing as ever, with a few proper uses of cloak and I can almost completely dodge any incoming damage while taking out their weapons followed by their crew. Piece of cake I thought!

Hah. If only I knew the terror to come to me. Because suddenly auto-pilot turns on! “That’s new” I think, “owell!”. So I send over my full crew in order to deal with the pesky autopilot. And then it starts repairing its weapons that I no longer can reach! But no, that’s not even my actual issue. I was able to survive the sudden onslaught even though my ship was unmanned, although barely. No, no, the issue I have is much, much worse. Because it turns out, that when you kill the final ship with a full team of 8 crew members on it and 2 bording drones, you don’t actually Kill the ship! Not a single warning about the imminent execution of my crew was given. Instead the ship instantly activates FTL drives when health reaches 0 and somehow My Whole Crew on board that ship Dies!

I guess I shouldn’t be too mad. After all, I had time to get an achievement, “Trusty auto-pilot” before I reach the inevitable “GAME OVER” screen, caused by my complete domination of the mothership of the rebel fleet. So note to self, stop using your preferred tactics on the final boss. The game will laugh at your stupidity and deny you victory because your tactic worked too well. Too. Friggin. Well.

Now, if you’re with me so far you’ve hopefully seen my point. Why in the name of... Something! would you even Consider putting a crew-killing sequence for beating the final boss?! Without a single warning? I just don’t get it. At all.
*Siiiiiigh*...

/A frustrated and disappointed gamer.
fylth

Re: Yea we're winning, lets board the final boss!

Postby fylth » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:06 pm

Yup, that's happened to most people. Here's a couple of quick tips for you:

- Make sure you get your crew off the ship if its health is almost at 0 to avoid loosing them (it runs away more than once)

- Do NOT kill the entire crew, due to the aggressive AI that takes over. Instead, make sure that you leave the guy in the second weapon room from the right (the triple laser) alive, as that's the least scary weapon, and he can't fix other systems or board you

Don't worry, we all got caught out by the boss some of the time
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:42 pm

If you leave your crew on any ship when it's health reaches zero then those crew die. Why would the expect the final boss to be different?
mrguy888

Postby mrguy888 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:43 am

There is always next time! If you teleported back to your ship and used a boarding drone to take his last point out or any weapon, which you really should have done anyway, it would have worked. Leave the guy in the triple laser alive, though.
FireHawkDelta

Postby FireHawkDelta » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:54 am

It makes no sense why it doesn't keep track of your crew on the fagship when it jumps. It remembers which of its crew are alive!
FireHawkDelta

Postby FireHawkDelta » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:57 am

Maze1125 wrote:If you leave your crew on any ship when it's health reaches zero then those crew die. Why would the expect the final boss to be different?

Because the flagship isn't destroyed until the third stage.
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:38 am

FireHawkDelta wrote:
Maze1125 wrote:If you leave your crew on any ship when it's health reaches zero then those crew die. Why would the expect the final boss to be different?

Because the flagship isn't destroyed until the third stage.

And, if you leave all your crew there, how exactly would your ship follow those crew to the next jump?
Further, even if you do have crew to take the ship to the next encounter, you don't know what's happened to your crew that you left on the flagship in the meantime. Presumably whatever did happen to them caused them to die.
Yes, sure, the game could been coded to keep your crew alive until you get to the flagship the next time, but that's no reason to expect it to happen.
MBz

Postby MBz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:53 pm

fylth wrote:- Do NOT kill the entire crew, due to the aggressive AI that takes over. Instead, make sure that you leave the guy in the second weapon room from the right (the triple laser)

I always leave the beam guy safe. That thing can try tickling me all day long.
mrguy888

Postby mrguy888 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:27 am

MBz wrote:
fylth wrote:- Do NOT kill the entire crew, due to the aggressive AI that takes over. Instead, make sure that you leave the guy in the second weapon room from the right (the triple laser)

I always leave the beam guy safe. That thing can try tickling me all day long.

The beam guy dies with the second form. To avoid AI you have to choose between the triple missiles and triple lasers. It is not a hard choice.
fylth

Postby fylth » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:14 am

And even early on, such as in the second phase, if those drones get your shield down then that laser can cause some serious damage