Finally killed the boss.

General discussion about the game.
Tarlok

Finally killed the boss.

Postby Tarlok » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:41 am

I can at least say I got my 5 bucks worth. Don't imagine myself doing it again though. I had to use a rock B on easy with a save editor. Everything just lined up right so I had a burst 2 and burst 3 both set to auto fire on the shields., 2 boarders with tp to take out the weapons, 2 mk1 defense drones, and stealth. I also suspect that the rock special augment had something to do with it.

Is there really any other strat to use? Every strat I saw on the internet was pretty much the same but with a different ship. I guess I could try normal but don't really see myself enjoying that at all. Its bad enough I had to save edit to get it beat on easy. There is no way I could have achieved that setup if I was on a scrap budget.

I win though and hence don't feel like I wasted my money. Perhaps I can beat Space Chem and Binding of issac someday as well. I still hold that with the exception of the other 2 games I have listed this is probably one of the most frustrating games I have ever played, and hence forth whenever I see rogue in the description of any game I will avoid it like the plague.
Mr_Crac

Re: Finally killed the boss.

Postby Mr_Crac » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:25 am

Tarlok wrote:I still hold that with the exception of the other 2 games I have listed this is probably one of the most frustrating games I have ever played

I'm not sure about "one of the most frustrating", but "more frustrating than it needs to be" sounds right I guess.

and hence forth whenever I see rogue in the description of any game I will avoid it like the plague.

I read somewhere that the developers of FTL do not regard it as a roguelike.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:52 am

If I recall correctly, they regard it as a roguelike-like. :)
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
BKT

Postby BKT » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:52 am

Tarlok wrote:Is there really any other strat to use?

Like this?

How about some Terminator (ahem... boarding drone) action? :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkqkzrHAx4g

BTW, you sold Firebomb, which is such a good boss killer... Well nevermind that, but you sold the Heavy Pierce laser!? :shock: ... It's one of the best gun in the game! :? Paired it with BL2 and it's beast!
madattak9

Postby madattak9 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Im with you on this, I'll avoid rouge likes form now on, too fustrating, even though I still do like FTL.

Anyway here's what I had:

Win 1 easy: Zoltan B, 3 shields, crew teleporter, two ion canons and 2 pike beams + defence, attack and hull repair drone.

Win 2 Normal: Kestrel B, 4 shields, teleporter, 3 basic lasers, breachbomb mkII, cloak.
Win 3 Normal: kestrel B, burst laser spam
Win 4 Normal: Ditto
Win 5 Normal: Engie A, can't remember what I had. Think its: Teleporter, boarding drone, attack + Defence drone + IonCannonMkII+IonCannon+HeavyIon+Some other weapon.
madattak9

Postby madattak9 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:24 pm

You'll probably beat FTL around your 100th game, but unlocking Kestrel B makes it easier, and I used no mods/hacks/cheats or anything.
Tarlok

Postby Tarlok » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:54 pm

I did sell the firebomb but I didn't sell the pierce laser. I just didn't use it due to power constraints. I really wasn't that impressed with the pierce laser vs the burst 2 and 3 lasers performance mid to late game against multiple shield enemies. Everything is multi shield towards the end.

The game doesn't have easy and normal. I know it says that on the screen but what it means is.
Easy = A painful wound that won't scab over.
Normal = 15 pounds of salt you then pour over that wound.

Hard (if it had the setting) would be your ship at 25% hull, in an astroid field, with a sun, one crew member, and you are fighting a ship with 3 shields, teleporting mantis, and 2 missile launchers.....on the first screen. It would get worse from there. lol
BKT

Postby BKT » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:09 pm

I got the same impression as well in my younger day. :lol: ... Same goes to the Heavy MK1, which, at the time, I think it's a shitty gun, and Ion is king. :oops:

Don't abuse Auto-fire too much; it's bad for your mental health. ;)
Tarlok

Postby Tarlok » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:17 pm

So I thought I would give normal an honest run. Screw that, next to no scrap income, and what little scrap there is goes to repairs instead of upgrades. 3 shield, missile spamming, boarding cheating enemies as soon as the 3rd sector. Seriously how in the hell does anyone find this fun? I literally end up just opening up all of the doors and suffocating my crew to death once I get to a certain point with any ship as its preferable to being blown up.

I know I can run, but if I run I get no scrap and I am worse off in the next sector. I don't dare stick my neck out and try to explore, dislodge, or help in any way as it will just cost me more scrap and hull damage....every single time. If you get to a sun may as well just quit as that is automatic game over. It doesn't matter what ship it is either its always the same thing. Away team....no, I need all my crew. I get boarded, there goes half my crew.....yay. Look a store, I can't buy crap as I spent all my scrap on repairs. Upgrade shields and engines I know but you need scrap for that, you also need to buy fuel. I can get away without using missiles, the other expenses I can't though. Can't replace or buy more crew as there is barely money enough to keep the ship together. I think I will go bash myself in the face with a hammer, it will be more fun.
madattak9

Postby madattak9 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:47 pm

Tarlok wrote:So I thought I would give normal an honest run. Screw that, next to no scrap income, and what little scrap there is goes to repairs instead of upgrades. 3 shield, missile spamming, boarding cheating enemies as soon as the 3rd sector. Seriously how in the hell does anyone find this fun? I literally end up just opening up all of the doors and suffocating my crew to death once I get to a certain point with any ship as its preferable to being blown up.

I know I can run, but if I run I get no scrap and I am worse off in the next sector. I don't dare stick my neck out and try to explore, dislodge, or help in any way as it will just cost me more scrap and hull damage....every single time. If you get to a sun may as well just quit as that is automatic game over. It doesn't matter what ship it is either its always the same thing. Away team....no, I need all my crew. I get boarded, there goes half my crew.....yay. Look a store, I can't buy crap as I spent all my scrap on repairs. Upgrade shields and engines I know but you need scrap for that, you also need to buy fuel. I can get away without using missiles, the other expenses I can't though. Can't replace or buy more crew as there is barely money enough to keep the ship together. I think I will go bash myself in the face with a hammer, it will be more fun.

there is a large luck element, but you just sound like a terrible player.