[MOD] Rebel Flagship Prototype

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Zoridium JackL

Re: [MOD] Rebel Flagship Prototype

Postby Zoridium JackL » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:19 am

I JUST downloaded and installed 1.2 and I am also getting a black box, but only if showing rooms, if I hide the rooms I can see the ship clear as day (and it looks great BTW, I really love the design).

*edit* just tried with 1.0 and I get the same issue.

some pics for you http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZoridiumJackL/screenshots
Jonfon

Postby Jonfon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:09 am

I'm getting the black box of doom as well when I try this, just this mod loaded.

I can tell you why (I think) though. Your flagship_prototype_floor.png file isn't the correct size, it's 650x469 and should be 800x525. Your empty Gibs also have incorrect dimensions and are showing as black boxes. Replacing the flagship_prototype_floor.png with a correctly sized empty PNG fixed it for me.

I had a similar issue myself last night with a missing / incorrect floorplan giving me a big black box, so I knew where to look :P

I like the concept, I felt like a glass cannon which could annihilate things if I could survive that long. Since you have both the Nuke and the Glaive however they feel like they both kind of solve the same problem (long recharging doomsday weapon). Perhaps the Nuke could recharge and/or move slightly quicker but cost 3 or 4 missiles to deploy? (that said I did like it when I fired the Nuke but the Enemy FTLed the hell out of there before it hit :D )

Really like the ship layout, especially the long corridors up to the weapons "nacelles" and the 1 person medibay supplemented by the Engi nanite heal.

Ship feels a little too high and to the right as well, maybe tweak its offset down a bit and left a tiny bit?
Ginger Dragon

Postby Ginger Dragon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:35 pm

Jonfon wrote:I'm getting the black box of doom as well when I try this, just this mod loaded.

I can tell you why (I think) though. Your flagship_prototype_floor.png file isn't the correct size, it's 650x469 and should be 800x525. Your empty Gibs also have incorrect dimensions and are showing as black boxes. Replacing the flagship_prototype_floor.png with a correctly sized empty PNG fixed it for me.

I had a similar issue myself last night with a missing / incorrect floorplan giving me a big black box, so I knew where to look :P

I like the concept, I felt like a glass cannon which could annihilate things if I could survive that long. Since you have both the Nuke and the Glaive however they feel like they both kind of solve the same problem (long recharging doomsday weapon). Perhaps the Nuke could recharge and/or move slightly quicker but cost 3 or 4 missiles to deploy? (that said I did like it when I fired the Nuke but the Enemy FTLed the hell out of there before it hit :D )

Really like the ship layout, especially the long corridors up to the weapons "nacelles" and the 1 person medibay supplemented by the Engi nanite heal.

Ship feels a little too high and to the right as well, maybe tweak its offset down a bit and left a tiny bit?

Thanks for the Info, I'll get to fixing that right away!! :D

Unfortunately making the nuke take more than one missle per shot is impossible. If you look in the coding it is already set to consuming two missiles, but it only consumes one.

Moving the ship to the left is impossible, as rooms cannot have negative coordinates, and the leftmost rooms are already at x=0. Moving it lower shouldn't be a problem though.

The one person med-bay was actually a glitch that I couldn't fix, so I coped with it and added the engi med-bots as Bren suggested. I think it turned out for the better as it seems to add to the glass-cannon style as you said.
Check out my youtube channel. I do FTL mod playthroughs, as well as all kinds of other assorted games.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GingerDragon87?feature=mhee
Ginger Dragon

Postby Ginger Dragon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:51 pm

the "Black Box Fix" iis up... here's hoping it works!!
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xu0y4xl3wb1r05w
Check out my youtube channel. I do FTL mod playthroughs, as well as all kinds of other assorted games.
michael1337

Postby michael1337 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:00 am

You should really up the hull to 25 or 30 because of the lack of cloaking
Zoridium JackL

Postby Zoridium JackL » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:38 am

no dice for me, still getting the black box of NO SHIP FOR YOU.
Jonfon

Postby Jonfon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:54 pm

Still borked. I think the reason is the image depth of the Floor PNG (8 bit as oppose to the required 32).
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:50 pm

Jonfon wrote:Still borked. I think the reason is the image depth of the Floor PNG (8 bit as oppose to the required 32).

That is exactly it.
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
Ginger Dragon

Postby Ginger Dragon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:15 pm

Jonfon wrote:Still borked. I think the reason is the image depth of the Floor PNG (8 bit as oppose to the required 32).

Forgive me for being a bit of a noob, but how does one change a file from 8 bit to 32 bit?
Jonfon

Postby Jonfon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:26 pm

Ginger Dragon wrote:

Forgive me for being a bit of a noob, but how does one change a file from 8 bit to 32 bit?

If you're using GIMP then Image > Mode > RGB should do here.

Here's a quick one I did. I just opened your base in GIMP, added a new Layer, hid the base layer and exported over the old PNG. Should work but I haven't tested it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4q8a8bmkitiqf5/flagship_prototype_floor.png