Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

General discussion about the game.
andrewas

Re: Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

Postby andrewas » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:03 am

So, apparently, even a rebel rigger can be deadly to a Red Tail thats otherwise capable of the end fight. Lasers were a little weak, needed the last shield and a little more weapons power, but two sectors is plenty of time to sort that out. This one was going to have a fighting chance at victory. But no. Granted, I went into this fight without bothering to refill my oxygen after a nebula boarding. Stupid, but waiting for that counter to climb up is dull and how often does low oxygen prove fatal?

After a boarding drone appears in my oxygen room, I don't really have much of a chance. I can't board the enemy yet, his medical bay is still up. Three shields and high evasion mean I can't land enough hits on him in time. Everybody suffocates.
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:20 am

Trying for Living off the land achievement(Reaching Sector 8 without buying at a store)
Playing Stealth Ship A. I have level 6 engines, mini beam, dual lasers and a hermes missile.(3 power, 3 damage) and nothing else. no drones, no shields, not enough reactor power to use everything at once.
I got this far by avoiding fights and finding fuel in random events. If I couldn't win a fight, I depowered weapons and put everything into engines and cloak to escape before they could fire a shot.
I am 2 jumps from the sector 7 exit when I run out of fuel, after jumping through a store and not buying fuel because it would stop the achievement. So I waited.
First is a rigger with 2 attack drones. Cloak, power up my backup missile. Aim for the drone control. Misses. FUCK.
Take a lot of damage while my missile reloads and cloak coolsdown. Finally hit the drone room , but it only stops one drone. Ship escapes shortly after. I have less than half hull remaining.
Wait again. Another ship arrive, an auto-drone with 4 shields and two attack drones. Same fucking story as before. first missile misses. 2nd one hits, but all subsequent ones miss too. Luckily the bastard escapes before killing me. Now I have barely 4 hull left, I wait again. I get a random event, I search the area with my upgraded sensors and find 7 fuel. HOLY SHIT.
Jump to the next two beacons without any problems by avoiding fighting. Got the achievement.
Rob3y

Postby Rob3y » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:58 am

There a one and only store on the map. I got there.

But from there, there is no FTL path to exit. You had to go back 2 jumps and you know what, the rebel got the whole 2/3 map covered(including where you are)

And apparently fires are very common on normal difficulty, even when your shot by low chance of fire lasers.
Vindaloo

Postby Vindaloo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:31 pm

So, yesterday I am playing the Man of War and I finally got my double mantis boarding party to max skill. I get attacked by another Slug ship that disables my O2 and start fire bombing my ship. No problem, right? I destroy their medbay with my weapons then beam my boarding party into their weapons room. As the two Mantis get low on health I beam them back, right into my teleporter room which at the exact same time gets hit with a firebomb. BOOM! And in a flash of painful explosions and fire, there goes the A team. Grrr...

Then I finally get another boarding team going and board an auto-scout, I disable its weapon systems, beam back to heal up. Then I beam them back to the auto-scout to finish the job, and less than 1 second after they arrive the auto-scout jumps away... How the heck did I miss the FTL charging up warning!! AAAAAUUGGHH!!!

Boarding team C (including the famous Mantis pirate "Kazaaak") got destroyed when I forgot to turn off auto-fire and the ship they were on blew up into a million bits.

In sector 8, boarding team D, now including Slug master gunner "Slurm", got caught on an exploding rebel ship when a fire raging in the other half of the ship took out the last bit of hull (I couldn't see the fire as I still have not bought sensors).

This is the first time I have ever gone through four complete teams of boarders. I am now facing the rebel flagship with a crew of 4 (1 slug, two humans, 1 engi). We'll see how it goes...
Raytiger3

Postby Raytiger3 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:53 pm

I had a perfect build up to fighting 3 shielders (sector 5) and I was finding a way to beat the Flagship, because that run wouldn't do it (unless I suddenly found 2 mantis and a teleporter and 4000 scrap). Guess what? AUTOMATED DRONE WITH 4 SHIELDS AND MISSLE LAUNCHERS.

Demolished me before I could even touch anything.

Another one is my first time meeting the power surge of the Flagship. I pooped my pants and said: "Fuck you, FTL".

And another one, I had 149 scrap, last store before the Flagship and I still wanted cloak. Ended up buying some upgrades and guess what? I died, because you need cloak for the Flagship. It's a requirement. You need it. You really do need it.
Seriously.
Cloak or die.
postman

Postby postman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:33 pm

My first two wins versus the Flagship were without Cloak or Teleporters in the Kestrel and Osprey.

Well, here's my moment: Got a good Stealth A running, fully upgraded Stealth, full crew, two shields, drones and teleporters, feeling pretty good about it. Second jump in Sector 5 got me boarded by five Mantises. Five? FIVE? How is this I don't even...

My crew struggled to fight them off while the ship pelted me with missiles. No chance to survive or jump -- two started with my pilot, the others on oxygen, etc...
MoD1982

Postby MoD1982 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:06 pm

I personally hate it when you get into a tough fight and see a store 2 jumps away. So you jump one step closer and suddenly find yourself being attacked by a laser/missile heavy ship, which almost immediately knocks out your engines. Almost immediately followed by shields.

FML.
Danby

Postby Danby » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:17 pm

GoldenShadowGS wrote:Trying for Living off the land achievement(Reaching Sector 8 without buying at a store)
Playing Stealth Ship A. I have level 6 engines, mini beam, dual lasers and a hermes missile.(3 power, 3 damage) and nothing else. no drones, no shields, not enough reactor power to use everything at once.
I got this far by avoiding fights and finding fuel in random events. If I couldn't win a fight, I depowered weapons and put everything into engines and cloak to escape before they could fire a shot.
I am 2 jumps from the sector 7 exit when I run out of fuel, after jumping through a store and not buying fuel because it would stop the achievement. So I waited.
First is a rigger with 2 attack drones. Cloak, power up my backup missile. Aim for the drone control. Misses. FUCK.
Take a lot of damage while my missile reloads and cloak coolsdown. Finally hit the drone room , but it only stops one drone. Ship escapes shortly after. I have less than half hull remaining.
Wait again. Another ship arrive, an auto-drone with 4 shields and two attack drones. Same fucking story as before. first missile misses. 2nd one hits, but all subsequent ones miss too. Luckily the bastard escapes before killing me. Now I have barely 4 hull left, I wait again. I get a random event, I search the area with my upgraded sensors and find 7 fuel. HOLY SHIT.
Jump to the next two beacons without any problems by avoiding fighting. Got the achievement.

If a ship is dodging alot, concintrate on its control room. Then it doesn't dodge at all ;)
breadsmith

Postby breadsmith » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:00 am

I was playing as rock A. Made it to 2 jumps away from the boss. Throughout the game I had seen two weapons that didn't use missiles, a found halberd beam and a store pike beam. I also found one of each missile type and each bomb type except ion bomb. My missiles/bombs were hitting around 50% of the time. So I was boarding with two rockmen who were getting low on life. I decided that I should help them out with a fire bomb, Rockmen being immune to fire and all. Then I watch in horror as my two rockmen die from the impact. I won the fight shortly thereafter, but had only 12 missiles left. I stood no chance against stage 2 of the boss.
ayecaptain

Postby ayecaptain » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:44 am

Playing as Stealth A on Normal, I jumped out of sector 1 with 30 fuel, stealth upgraded and powered, most of my hull intact, and something like 60 scrap. I could not believe my luck.

First encounter in sector 2 was with some sort of uber drone which had double shields, an anti-ship drone, double heavy lasers and a missile. I cloaked to avoid the drone and powered weapons, dropped its shields and hit the drone control with my beam right after decloak (fingers crossed for good evasion luck on the other incoming damage), apparently it had enough power in drones to keep the anti-ship up and that was the end. I died before my weapons powered up a second time. :(

Maybe I should have taken my chances with the drone and waited on the cloak, idk. The drone nuked my engines, O2 and weapons when I did decloak, so maybe not.