Most BS Death Ever

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
Balthazar

Most BS Death Ever

Postby Balthazar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:47 am

So, I was playing the game right? I start out with my Kestrel on easy and name it the "USS Mantle". I kill some pirate ships and come across my first Rebel Battle in a Nebula that has a storm in it at the time. So, for some reason, my shields are gone, and my O2 supply is diminishing rather quickly even though all my doors were shut and all systems on the ship besides my cameras were completely fine... I use my weapons to destroy the ship, salvage quite a nice haul of equipment, and next thing I freaking know, the Oxygen supply is at 20%. I make the jump because being new to the game I think, "Maybe the Nebula is screwing with all the electrical systems, not just the cameras." I jump into a clear patch of space where I'm engaged by a pirate ship. Totally unaware of something I will say in a bit, I beat the pirate ship in a few hits, and notice a loud beep. My Oxygen supply at this point was NOTHING, and all of my crew members freaking died..... If you have any idea why the f-ck this happened to me please message me, because I don't understand it at all. My doors were all shut, there were no fires in the ship, my hull was damaged slightly yes, but everything was just fine......... It was so aggravating...

Sincerely,
Kommunistan Balthazar
boa13

Re: Most BS Death Ever

Postby boa13 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:59 am

Welcome to the game and to the FTL forums! :D

Balthazar wrote:"Maybe the Nebula is screwing with all the electrical systems, not just the cameras."

Correct! :) It actually divides your engine power by two (same for the enemy by the way). Random systems get shut down on your ship. In your case, one of the systems that got shut down was the oxygen generator. The solution was simply to turn another less critical system off (for example, medbay), and then turn oxygen back on.

After you jumped out of the nebula, your engine power is restored, by turned off systems remain turned off. All you needed to do was turn the oxygen generator on. :cry:
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Balthazar

Postby Balthazar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:55 pm

Thanks man. I played again, and I noticed it this time... I was like, "Oh my god... Dead from my own stupidity.....". Oh well, I'll leave this on here for others to see so newcomers don't make this mistake like I did. Made it to Sector 8 after my 3rd or 5th attempt last night, but the Flagship got to the base too quickly for me to do anything..... -sad face- Gonna go try again now though!!! :D

I LOVE THIS GAME, IT IS SOOOOO ADDICTING!
Neverpraying Mantis

Postby Neverpraying Mantis » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:15 pm

New players won't need to read this, because for new players there's that thing in the menu that says "tutorial" ;)
Balthazar

Postby Balthazar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:39 pm

Gee thanks Mr. Douche. -_- But for the info, the tutorial didn't say jack about storms messing up your ship, and where your ship automatically diverts its power.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:01 am

Balthazar wrote:Gee thanks Mr. Douche. -_- But for the info, the tutorial didn't say jack about storms messing up your ship, and where your ship automatically diverts its power.

Don't resort to namecalling when all others do is give you free and fair advice. I played the tutorial and i learned that i can manage powere by switching sytems on/off. It helped me steal power from nonesential system before i had the reactor power to use all, and it prevented the exact thing that killed you. A forgotten offline life support system should not kill anyone who at least skimmed through the tutorial.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Balthazar

Postby Balthazar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:24 pm

When you're in the middle of the battle, you keep constantly staring at your systems instead of whether or not you're damaging the enemy and killing whomever had stormed onto your ship at the time? Wow, you must be the best player ever... Write a story about your first time playing the game. Seeing as how you're sooooooooooooooo good at this game, you should have beat it in the first try on normal correct? -_- If not, then quit being Mr. Superior the guy that just starting playing this game. You aren't cool.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:22 am

I pause frequently during battles, esp. if there are other things to worry about besides enemy weapons. Things like boarders, solar flares, and all that happening at once is pretty damn distracting even with pausing. Running my crew around the ship trying to fight, heal, prevent systems being damaged... it often happens that i don't see my weapons are ready to fire for example.

One major reason that i allways know what my power levels are, is that i allways steal power from systems i don't particularly need at the moment. Usually life support is the first to go. I've been guilty of forgetting to trun it back on several times but aside from a little bit of gasping and choking, everyone on board survived. You got caught by that, easy mistake to make once. Some things about playing this game can only be learned by making a mistake.
Balthazar

Postby Balthazar » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:28 pm

Well, I'll have to agree with that... I find myself sometimes in the middle of a fight, but say for example I have all the power to run all my systems, except my drones, I'll immediately turn off my Med-Bay, and maybe one from the engines, but that's rare, but normally if my 02 is at max, I'll take one from it, but I'll turn on my droids and then almost immediately since then, I shut off my weapon systems to turn my 02 and Med-Bay back on to restore oxygen and my crews health once the fight is over and the immediate threats are dealt with.

So yes, you are correct. Sometimes mistakes are needed to be made, so they aren't made again. Lol, it's like they always say, "Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.", but in this case it is just a game after all.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:57 pm

Just to make sure, i don't steal power for the entire fight. For example i may divert some power to my defense drone to have it back in position and taking out an incoming missile in time. Once the missile is out of the picture, the drone can be switched off.

Balthazar wrote:...Sometimes mistakes are needed to be made, so they aren't made again. Lol, it's like they always say, "Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it."

Given that some scenarios such as boarding aren't even covered by the tutorial, the number of such mistakes is unfortunately high. Unfortunately because a fair death is easier to take than a "BS, noone told me about that" type of death. That just causes frustration.