Eternal Death

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Blackout

Eternal Death

Postby Blackout » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:18 am

I realize now the game gives random builds each time you play it. However, what is the best weapon setup to have when facing ships with three or more shields. For example, I breezed through all but the last sector when I found my breach bomb and halberd beam that was so devastating to everyone else is now useless. What is a good weapon build to avoid this problem?
BKT

Re: Eternal Death

Postby BKT » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:43 am

... More dakka?  Image
More Dakka

Postby More Dakka » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:43 am

That does indeed work. ;) BL2s are welcomed by just about everybody -- 3-shot burst for 2 power.

A teleporter is the most versatile weapon if you have the crew to go with it (2 non-Engi/Zoltan, preferably Mantis, Crystal or Rock), since it bypasses all defenses except Zoltan shields and cloak.

Breach Bomb IIs are a big step up from the initial version, as they do more system damage. Fire bombs also have the same shield-bypassing feature, although they're useless against automated ships (airless) and less useful against rock (as those crew don't take damage from the fire) and you need to spam them a bit more to do reach a point where they're out of control and doing damage.

Ion Blaster Mk II is always an efficient choice for beating shields down, especially Zoltan shields -- quite effective for the power requirement.
BKT

Postby BKT » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:20 am

He probably did have Breach 2, because if not, he must have been using Slug_A and hence had a Dual laser, which would solve his problem— more or less...

If that's the case, spamming Breach 2 at shield room and then beam them once the shield drop to 1 or less does solves the problem, but this takes time, a lot if the bomb miss since the bomb is fairly slow-firing, and I guess that's not exactly 'so devastating' like it was in the earlier sector for him.

PS. I actually had a hard time deciding which one is better if you have infinite amount missiles— Breach bomb 1 or 2 ... :oops:
Megas Domestikos

Postby Megas Domestikos » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:26 pm

3-shot laser + Glaive beam
4/5 shot laser + Halberd beam

Will take down the flagship in an instant. Beams in general are bloody good if you have a rapid firing laser at your disposal, or other mans to temporarily disable all the enemy shields before beaming them to afterlife.
Space Roman
Blackout

Postby Blackout » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:17 pm

That's the interesting part. The game seems to try to force you into a certain build. Offering drones when you want weapons. Offering weapons when you want drones. I guess the question is what is the best build for:

1. Weapons
2. Drones
3. Boarding

It goes without saying this game is crazy hard. Love the challenge but would like to beat it once.
BKT

Postby BKT » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:27 pm

Blackout wrote:I guess the question is what is the best build for:

1. Weapons
2. Drones
3. Boarding

Theoretical :

- 4x Burst lasers MK2 (+ lv4 Artillery beam for more lulz)
- 2x Antiship MK2 (+ 1 Defence drone if you play Engi)
- 4x Rock + Fire

Real world (i.e. have a reasonable chance to actually acquire them) :

- 1x Burst lasers MK2 or Ion MK2 + 2-3 other weapons *
- 1x Defense drone + something (Antiship MK2 is the best, but it's kind of rare)
- 2-4x Rock/Mantis

** The game's weapon system is incredibly well thought out and so balance that many weapon combination works— if you know the strength of each gun and know how to combine and use them together to maximize each gun's strength ... providing that you actually got enough guns for you to make any kind of combination in the first place of course. :roll:
vashts1985

Postby vashts1985 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:41 pm

BKT wrote:... More dakka?  Image

i DO want to build a kestral with 4 BLII's

dakka dakka dakka
Blackout

Postby Blackout » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:15 am

I guess I will just have to learn how to play with each style. Each time I play the game seems to offer one option each time. And I just don't like using drones.

Had a great run with a zoltan ship with cloak. But the game wouldn't give me any weapon options and I couldn't get enough punch to get through the enemies shields.

Best run ever was with an engi b. Until the boss that is.
nafuid

Postby nafuid » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:16 am

Blackout wrote:I guess I will just have to learn how to play with each style.

That is pretty much the answer. Your win ratio will increase dramatically after you know how to use every weapon, drones, and the teleporter. You will rarely get what you want in a game so you need to know how to use what you get.

That said, my fallback is usually the teleporter because it bypasses shields, never misses, and is readily available in stores. If I don't get good weapons, I usually end up boarding. It helps to have a missile or bomb to take out the med bay and/or take the sting out of their weapons.