Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
breadsmith

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby breadsmith » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:52 pm

I don't think the anti-bio beam does either.

*edit: I was wrong, the anti-bio beam does help knock down zoltan shields. This leads me to believe that all beams do.
Last edited by breadsmith on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
BKT

Postby BKT » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:31 am

Fangz wrote:Beams will always hit the zoltan shield twice no matter how many rooms are traced by the beam

With the Glaive Beam at least, there's a way you could hit 3 times in 1 shot VS the usual zoltan ships— the first 2 will hit the zoltan shield and destroy it, and the 3rd hit will actually hit the ship. This allow you to disable the sector 1-2 zoltan ship's weapon room in a single beam when using Stealth_B, which make it much, much easier to deal with. ;)

Rebel Rigger is still such a pain in the ass though... :cry:

-----

Did you know?

That fire on board your ship can do nasty thing? ... "Well, of course!" most people would say. :roll:

However, did you know that fire on board the (non-airless) enemy ship can do a much nastier thing to their ship, particularly when they have no Engi on board? ... This is because the enemy ship, more often than not, have level 2 or more on O2 system and the AI never seem to de-power it, which made fire more difficult to put out for them and wreak havoc on the ship's system and crews faster. Also, most enemy ship don't have door system, allow fire to spread much quicker. Not to mentioned that they have no air-lock to vent the fire out.

Mantis ship with only mantis crew is especially fun; just throw in 1 firebomb or a few Heavy laser shot and the whole thing burn faster than a Pinto! :twisted:

However, because of their higher level O2, this made hull breach less effective on the enemy ship, since air will leak slower or not at all if they have lv3 O2.
DCChuckles

Postby DCChuckles » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Mister Sammy wrote:Auto-ships cannot repair hull breaches, and because a breached room cannot be repaired, hull breaches are their greatest weakness.

Can someone explain this to me? If the ships don't have any O2 anyway, what good will a hull breach do?
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:20 pm

AI ships will never repair the damaged system. That's it pretty much. I guess the imaginary explanation would be that the damage is too severe for the ship's self healing abilities.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
DCChuckles

Postby DCChuckles » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:47 pm

UltraMantis wrote:AI ships will never repair the damaged system. That's it pretty much. I guess the imaginary explanation would be that the damage is too severe for the ship's self healing abilities.

Oh, didn't know that :) Seems like a bit of an exploit TBH. They should have slug repair gel or something, that'd even it out.
Sir Derick

Postby Sir Derick » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:36 am

crystal beings + teleporter = awesomeness.

Basically, with their lockdown ability, you can teleport two crystal beings into the enemy weapons system before their crew even reaches it, use the lockdown ability and laugh manically as they try uselessly bang on the doors to prevent you from destroying it. (Laughing is optional, but highly recommended.)

With 2 lockdowns you have plenty of time for your lvl 1 teleporter to recharge so you can either
a: retreat. (Booooring)
b: teleport more crew members in. :twisted:

You can also lock an enemy in a room, preventing them from reaching the med bay or allowing reinforcements to come in. I just beat the last stand on normal by systematically locking in and killing the enemy crew one by one.

Speaking of the last stand:

The weapons systems are in isolated chambers, meaning you can teleport your crew in, beat the living crap out of the one guy in each room and teleport out without having to worry about the weapon being repaired.

Once all the crew is dead though the ai will awaken and passively repair all the systems unless there's a breach or fire in that room. If you can't breach or set fire to a room, just leave 1 crew member in each room you really don't want repaired.
Also: start fires in the shield room after you set fires in the weapons systems, since it's the furthest away from the oxygen room and the piloting room is right next to it. Making the ship both unshielded and unable to dodge.
Mister Sammy

Postby Mister Sammy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:06 am

If you see a fire bomb launched at your ship, PAUSE THE GAME and open the airlocks before it blows. This can help to minimize damage.
DeathScavenger

Postby DeathScavenger » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:07 am

May or may not know about these little "tricks / tips" so, here are a couple I found interesting:
  • The Defense drone not only shoots down enemy missiles and asteroids... it can also shoot down boarding drones
  • If you jump while having an enemy boarded to a ship that has a crew teleporter, the enemy cruiser will teleport out the random enemy boarding crew if the crew (boarded on your ship) is low on health.
  • Enemy ships (aside from the rebel flagship) can run out of resources (i.e. drone parts / missiles).
  • Zoltan crew in the pilot room (cockpit) will NOT grant the passive bonus of +1 reactor power.

[SPOILER]
  • wiping out the entire enemy crew on the rebel flagship (last boss) will cause the ship to act like an automated scout in that the systems will repair themself. because of this, it is best to leave the enemy crew at the heavy laser cannons alone. (middle left)
Mister Sammy

Postby Mister Sammy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Is your system repair drone going to go back to your drone control room while there's a damaged area right next to him?
TURN HIM OFF.
THEN BACK ON.
This will remove "go back home" from his queue of commands and put a fresh "FIX DAT SHIT" on his mind!
Dorus

Postby Dorus » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:10 pm

You can move the positions in weapons from the main screen, without viewing ship details. Just drag them around. Figuring this out was great help when i ran Zoltan crew in my weapon room.

Also, turn down (or off) oxygen supply when you try to put out fire with vacuum. Turn back on when rooms are vacuum to keep the rest of your ship healthy.