[MOD] Better Planets and Backgrounds 1.3.2

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
sanmonku

Re: [MOD] Better Planets and Backgrounds 1.2

Postby sanmonku » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:39 pm

this mod has the animated nebulas replaced since version 1.0.

@Lieber, the High-Res Background graphics mod replaces all the original stuff and adds 1 planet if i remember it right ... if not sry ^^ this mods replaces all the original stuff and adds a lot of new planets and backgrounds...
you can try both and decide which one you want to use.

with the latest FTL patch and the not yet released version 1.3 i have some graphic glitches, not sure if its the mod... there were some black rectangles once or twice and the mouse pointer turned few times to a black square, anyone else had this ?
Weltall Zero

Postby Weltall Zero » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:23 pm

I just signed up to say this mod is AMAZING and a complete game-changer for me. I'm now recommending it to every person I'm recommending the game to. I also did so on GAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=1182

Really, I have no words to express how beautiful the game looks with it. Thanks a ton!
sanmonku

Postby sanmonku » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:34 am

hehe thank you :)

version 1.3 released, 62 new HUBBLE backgrounds included... they are very color intense! and their use is very unrealistic, but i don't care :mrgreen:

cheers
Weltall Zero

Re: [MOD] Better Planets and Backgrounds 1.3

Postby Weltall Zero » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:50 pm

"The file you have selected (Better_Planets_and_Backgrounds_v13.7z) is not available via any mirrors. Please check back shortly as our servers update every 5 minutes."

This also happened to me with version 1.2. I registered on the site and was able to download it; however, this time it won't let me even when logged in.

Edit: After a few retries, I managed to download it.

I was kind of expecting it, but yeah, some of the Hubble backgrounds (while amazingly beautiful on their own), seem a bit too busy for a game like FTL. There's a few that work well (mostly those that are just stars, and I personally love the ones where there's a single, large, very bright star, as it seems like the primary star of the planet's system), but nebulae and galaxies and such look weird with a planet overimposed on them. It seems like the scale is awy off. Some nebulae just look as if they were clouds in the sky, making it all the more weird. Further, there's several that are repeated changing the hue, or mirroring and changing the hue.

For now I personally will stick with version 1.2. :)
sanmonku

Postby sanmonku » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:21 pm

yeah i can totally understand that! it is overkill, but i love hubble pics, sooo :mrgreen:
and if someone doesn't like it, should just use 1.2, because 1.3 are only the hubble pics nothing more...

and btw those with a single lager very bright stars aren't hubble pics ;)
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:00 pm

Hey sanmonku, loving the look of your new backgrounds and planets! I'm currently using version 1.2 still, but there's some pretty cool stuff in there!

Would you mind if I used your mod in my videos? I've modified your original file somewhat to allow it work simultaneously with splette's High-Res Backgrounds mod, and I'd love to show off both of your work.

I will obviously link people here in the videos, as I have been doing for Splette, Liakad and Grognak's work. :D
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
Weltall Zero

Postby Weltall Zero » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:08 pm

I've gone and merged version 1.2 with High-Res Backgrounds and Graphics:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3107
My merged version is for personal use, of course. I was wondering if it would be OK for me to upload it somewhere, giving you both credit and linking both threads. However, I only want to do it if both of you are perfectly OK with it. If you have the slightest hesitation, simply say no, I'll understand completely. :)
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Weltall Zero wrote:I've gone and merged version 1.2 with High-Res Backgrounds and Graphics...

Funny, I did the same thing. I also included the cosmetic elements from Liakad's diversityMod as well though. :P

I'd love to able to release my customized compilation along with my videos, but I wouldn't do so unless all the creators were onboard with it.
Weltall Zero

Postby Weltall Zero » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:54 pm

VanguardOfValor wrote:
Weltall Zero wrote:I've gone and merged version 1.2 with High-Res Backgrounds and Graphics...

Funny, I did the same thing. I also included the cosmetic elements from Liakad's diversityMod as well though. :P

I'd love to able to release my customized compilation along with my videos, but I wouldn't do so unless all the creators were onboard with it.

Interestingly, DiversityMod is the only other mod I use as well; I simply have both of them separate. However, I realized the other day that DiversityMod also introduces a few balance changes. I'm not 100% confortable with playing the game differently as it was designed, are those changes a big deal? I guess I'll have to look at them in detail and possibly make a version of the mod without them.

Edit: It seems someone actually already did so:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3363&start=30#p23888
I'm assuming everything should be back to normal with that mod? It seems to have been updated to address most if not all quirks mentioned after that post by other users.
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:01 am

I took Istarune's mod and helped him make sure the only changes were cosmetic, so that new version should have everything you don't want removed. I haven't actually downloaded it because I modified an earlier version, but I'd be surprised if there were any other elements. diversityMod doesn't really need to be part of the mod clump either, I just stuck it in their for convenience's sake. ;P