ftl beam weapons

General discussion about the game.
robby

ftl beam weapons

Postby robby » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:35 pm

Have you guys noticed that a well placed beam (let's take the range of a halberd beam, which I'm pretty sure is the same as the glaive one) can easily hit 4 rooms, and up to 5 rooms on a certain type of ship?

Place just a few pixels to go over one room and you get it to be damaged. So if you carefully place it at the corner of the starting room all the way to the corner of the ending room making sure you go through as many rooms as possible, you end up stacking quite a few damage, making them a bit overpowered.

I remember I once found in the first or second sector a glaive beam. I one hit most of the ships I came across.
Kieve

Re: ftl beam weapons

Postby Kieve » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:48 pm

Beams are balanced mostly by their charge times and the way they affect shields. A beam might have "partial shield-piercing" in the sense that if it does 3 damage, a two-shield ship will soak off most of that, but they deal no direct damage to the shield itself and anything unable to penetrate it is a wasted shot.

In the right circumstances or with the right weapon combo, they're utterly devastating though. ;)
BKT

Postby BKT » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:36 am

Being able to hit lots of room on some enemy ships is certainly by design and not an oversight by the devs. In fact, I think that the design on every enemy ships layout in the game are incredibly clever; some enemy ship are very susceptible to beam while another less so.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:53 am

Heck even the Mini Beam can hit 4 rooms if they are close together and you really squeeze it in tight. :D Pike Beams are delicious, and vicious. Of course you still need to get rid of those pesky shields.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Todes_Schnitzel

Postby Todes_Schnitzel » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:13 am

Well , the Hull Beam is the only Hull weapon who is useful. :lol:
MY ENGLISH IS TERRIBLYHELL YEAH!
This text is presented by Google translate , my english skill and german. :D
rosesnowm

Postby rosesnowm » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:50 am

:D Haha, good posts here.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Image
Number43

Postby Number43 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:52 am

There is a ship that starts with the glaive beam.
robby

Postby robby » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:08 pm

Any long load time can easily be countered with weapon pre-ignition ... provided you're lucky enough to find one in a store or in an event. But when you do hit, you don't hit many rooms on *some* enemy ships, in fact you do it on most enemy ships. Except for one type of automated drone, every other ship can be hit 4 or 5 times, 50%-50%. Now, if the enemy AI would be just as smart when deploying their weapons against me, this would be fine. However the AI doesn't show much of the intelligence part when synch-ing its weapons fire or when it chooses which systems of mine to target, and neither when it chooses its beam path.
BKT

Postby BKT » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:10 pm

'Being lucky' is not an easy thing to achieve though... :roll:

Then again, I'm not really a fan of the ignitor nor the 'per-room' damage dealing beam to start with.
ExtraCheesyPie

Postby ExtraCheesyPie » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:52 am

BKT wrote:'Being lucky' is not an easy thing to achieve though... :roll:

Then again, I'm not really a fan of the ignitor nor the 'per-room' damage dealing beam to start with.

What's not to like about instant charge? Disable everything before the enemy knows what happened!
I hate FTL...

But I love it at the same time...