Replayability of FTL?

General discussion about the game.
noxnoctum

Replayability of FTL?

Postby noxnoctum » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:44 am

Hey guys I was thinking of getting this game but was just wondering, how's the replayability and the depth? Is it similar to that of other roguelikes (i.e. pretty freaking high on both counts)?

thanks
Antony

Re: Replayability of FTL?

Postby Antony » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:04 am

This game gets a 10/10 in terms of replay-ability, IMHO....and that's just the vanilla game without mods. I've been playing this game non-stop, everyday since I bought it. There is nothing else out there that quite scratches the itch to be the commander of a spaceship, going where..... Well you know the rest. ; )
jamotide

Postby jamotide » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:12 am

I played about 150 times now, so pretty high! But it does get somewhat less exciting once you get really good at the game, meaning you win easily like every time. But then there will be ship unlocks which are hard to play again for a while, or forever (like Stealth B).
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:57 am

The randomly generated sectors and enemies plus 18 starting ships to choose from (9 ships, 2 variants each but very different) guarantee plenty of replayability. The difficulty also add replayabliliy since initial attempts will end in deaths that you can hopefully learn from and avoid in the future.

The only thing that is constant is the main quest (explore sectors under pressure from the encroaching Rebels) and the game finale which i shall not spoil for you but will say is not randomised. So the main game and the end are all that can become predictable. As long as you have ships to try out and achievements to unlock, you should be entertained, if not addicted. :D
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Fangz

Postby Fangz » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:02 am

100 hours and still playing almost every day :D
Moosicorn

Postby Moosicorn » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:42 am

In 7 days I spent 30 hours on it. If you have a life don't buy this game
aqueous12

Postby aqueous12 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:23 pm

As others have mentioned, each ship that you unlock has a second type which you need to unlock. In order to unlock it, you have to complete some achievements which are often quite difficult and really highlight the differences between the ships. I recently unlock my first type 'B' version of a ship and I was shocked how different they make it feel. Each feels like it's own separate strategy that the game shows you how to do. I've played around 10-15 hours but definitely feel like I've just scratched the surface.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:36 pm

Welcome aqueous12, glad you're havin' a good time scratching the surface. :D I'm curious, what B type was it that's so shockingly different? Not the Vortex, is it? :lol: That's a crazy ship to play. Fun too.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:06 pm

Steam tells me I've played 181 hours of FTL, but I'm not sure I believe it. :P

Trying to beat the game with every ship and every variant is an easy way to extend the replayability, and once you've done that there are all kinds of other challenges for you to do - from working on the achievements like Pacifist Run or the one for never buying anything at a shop to installing a variety of game-changing mods which give entirely different experiences!

Lots to do is putting it lightly. :D
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
Szczypior

Postby Szczypior » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:56 pm

Hahaha! I've just beaten the game! Finally! And it was made with ship named 'Another Fail' :D So.. I've got 2 ships unlocked: Engi Cruiser and Federation Cruiser. They vary so much, so many new possibilities... I.. need.. to... play.. more :D I think I'll try disabling ship with lasers using Engi Cruiser :)