Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
jamotide

Re: [MOD] Better Planets and Backgrounds 1.2

Postby jamotide » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:54 pm

Like the update very much, lots of gorgeous backgrounds
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:18 pm

I love mods like this. Sonata has ~30 new backgrounds but I'm insanely jealous of your planets :).

You should work on the asteroid and nebula images! I found out that you can alter the background BEHIND nebula/asteroids as well, which can yield some really neat effects.
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
Villainy

Postby Villainy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:14 pm

I don't get a .ftl file when I download this. I've installed mutliple other mods, but yours provides a .7Z file. What is that??
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:34 pm

Villainy wrote:I don't get a .ftl file when I download this. I've installed mutliple other mods, but yours provides a .7Z file. What is that??

.7z files (made by 7-Zip) are like Zip files, except they are much better compressed. I suppose this one contains the .ftl file, and maybe also a README file of some sort. Just extract the .ftl file from it, and then use the .ftl file.

To open .7z files, you need the free 7-Zip program (made by computer enthusiasts, not a big company). It can open .7z files, but also most other compressed files. It can perfectly replace WinZip or WinRar, and is fully free to use (no nag screen).

You can download 7-Zip from the official web site: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
sanmonku

Postby sanmonku » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:40 pm

first of all, thanks for all the comments :D

@thashepherd, oh well there are still a lot of hubble backgrounds to get included :mrgreen:

@Villainy, like boa13 said its an archive, and WinRAR also can handle 7z files ;)
ZedLXI

Postby ZedLXI » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:45 pm

So although the Hubble images are very pretty they don't make any sense due to their scale, and more significantly, their brightness. This is just an annoyance for someone who knows to much about astronomy, like myself. So is there any chance of making version 1.0 downloadable again? The moddb link doesn't seem to work and I've lost the old file.
sanmonku

Postby sanmonku » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:07 pm

there aren't any hubble images included in v1.2, they will be added in 1.3 ..
1.0 is still available, only on gamefront it seems. if you have problems with gamefront and stuff like noscript installed that probably will make problems...

and if you want something realistic, you should have as background only stars without nebulas... real boring :P

v1.3 is almost ready, there are around 60 new backgrounds, all from hubble, some are included multiple times with different color variations...
Lieber

Postby Lieber » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Is this compatible with the High-Res Background graphics mod or is this basically the same mod but with some tweaks?

Because it looks great, and I would love to install it, but I was planning on installing the other mod first.
Played 11 hours. Still haven't beaten the Flagship.
celozzip

Postby celozzip » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:25 pm

i prefer this to the other one but i think the other one had animated nebulae and this one doesn't, can't remember right now. although after the new patch i noticed this one did have animations in a nebula but they were the old low res ones... this one's made me come back to the game and played another 9 hours just over the last week, where i had only played 11 hours total up to that point. it's really improved the game for me.
Lieber

Postby Lieber » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:51 pm

So this one improves the backgrounds like the other one right?
Played 11 hours. Still haven't beaten the Flagship.