What is (are) your favorite weapon(s) and why?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
BKT

Re: What is (are) your favorite weapon(s) and why?

Postby BKT » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:02 am

Oh whoops, I mistook you for someone else. Sorry about that. :oops:

Btw, my favorite gun is not BL2. ;)
magic9mushroom

Postby magic9mushroom » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:29 am

BKT wrote:Those 'specialized' weapons are good if you have all the piece of the puzzle together (or 'dedicated tactical setup' as you put it) ... BL2 will work well with any setup and on any ship and with/without any augmentation, right from the first sector to the end— it will even work by itself without any other weapon; in fact, it's retardedly powerful if you got 3 or more of them. The same can't be said to those weapon you've mentioned, especially the Glaive...

Then again, the most powerful 'weapon' in the game is the telepad. :mrgreen:

I don't play aggro unless I've got no choice, so I'd certainly agree on the Glaive's situational nature.

And all those setups are flexible. I find it fairly likely that, in a run in which you get the Glaive, you will also get at least one chance at the Breach Bomb II or Ion Blast II, since both are more common than it.

Dark Jelly wrote:Disagree on aggro, BL2 is part of the ideal setup for that. It's the lower power cost that does it.

Imagine Glaive Beam, BL2, and either another BL2 or my preference Breach Bomb 2.

If we're talking about 8-power setups, I'd take two breachers. Those things are godly.

I never said the BL2 isn't good, it's just that it's not "the best" at any role.

Or Halberd Beam, 2x BL2, and Small Bomb or Breach Bomb 1.

Edit: Slug Ship could get Glaive Beam, BL2, Dual Lasers, and Breach Bomb 1 (starts with the last 2). Is that the best possible for aggro?

BB1 only does 1 system damage. The BB2's 3 is a big improvement.

And if you have any Anti-Ship drones in addition, all the better.

Indeed.

Having said that, I was surprised that when I actually found a BL2, I didn't use it. I think my weapons were Halberd Beam, Hull Laser 2, and Small Bomb, so BL2 was the odd man out.

;)

As for my favorite weapon, that would be Breach Bomb 2. A single weapon that takes out systems, causes breaches, and kills the enemy crew themselves.

Yes. They're incredible assets.
Mataza

Postby Mataza » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:37 am

BKT wrote:
magic9mushroom wrote:
Mataza wrote:But the BL I is terrible.

... Everything is terrible if you're comparing it with BL 2. 8-)

Hey don´t misquote me like that. Magic mushroom said that.

While I personally don´t bother with preferring a weapon over another unless it can let me kill ships more reliably or for more scrap(killing the crew), I do think that the BL2 is indeed the best weapon overall.
Nothing stands in the way of 4 BL2. 12 shots for 8 power is freaking insane.
But it all also is a low energy weapon which can fit into any setup(since any setup can use something to cut through shields).

Anyway, I´m interested which weapons are strictly better than Burst Laser 1, since I can´t think of any. The easiest setups of all is DAKKA; many, many, many single shots that tear through shields and then some. A Burst Laser 1 is, to me, just a part of that. And in that regard I don´t see any weapon besides the BL2 which is strictly better than it.

edit: This is the proper quote
magic9mushroom wrote:
Mataza wrote:Actually Hull lasers are quite useful because they shoot multiple projectiles. Hull Laser 1 is just a couple of seconds slower than Burst Laser 1, but otherwise equal.

But the BL I is terrible. There are three weapons which are strictly better than it. It's hardly a good standard of comparison.

(Also, the Heavy Laser II shoots 2 projectiles.)
tswaters

Postby tswaters » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:43 am

If I'm playing crystal_B or mantis_B I'm not picky on weapons. Hull laser I ? That'll do. Heavy laser I? That'll do. Anything that can do any amount of damage to a ship (take take down zolton shields or automated scouts) is fine by me. Heck, I've gone far too long without any weapons (like, sector 6) at that point, I'll even buy a BL1 if a store has it.

Anyway, my personal fav is Hull Laser 2 -- mostly because it's role on my boarding ships is to do a buttload of damage. 3 shots, 2 damage per shot & 4 in unoccupied rooms? That's 12 damage. The only time I whip it out is when I say to myself, "Ok, no. I've had enough of this battle -- you die now." -- in cases where I can't get a boarding victory.
Mataza

Postby Mataza » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:01 am

tswaters wrote:If I'm playing crystal_B or mantis_B I'm not picky on weapons. Hull laser I ? That'll do. Heavy laser I? That'll do. Anything that can do any amount of damage to a ship (take take down zolton shields or automated scouts) is fine by me. Heck, I've gone far too long without any weapons (like, sector 6) at that point, I'll even buy a BL1 if a store has it.

Anyway, my personal fav is Hull Laser 2 -- mostly because it's role on my boarding ships is to do a buttload of damage. 3 shots, 2 damage per shot & 4 in unoccupied rooms? That's 12 damage. The only time I whip it out is when I say to myself, "Ok, no. I've had enough of this battle -- you die now." -- in cases where I can't get a boarding victory.

I´m split on Hull weapons because there are ships that do not have system less rooms.
Also its 1 damage and 2 in systemless rooms, so only 6 damage.
tswaters

Postby tswaters » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:17 am

Right you are... still, 6 aint bad. I guess my point is: with weaponless ships, beggars can't be choosers.
magic9mushroom

Postby magic9mushroom » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:17 am

Mataza wrote:
BKT wrote:Anyway, I´m interested which weapons are strictly better than Burst Laser 1, since I can´t think of any. The easiest setups of all is DAKKA; many, many, many single shots that tear through shields and then some. A Burst Laser 1 is, to me, just a part of that. And in that regard I don´t see any weapon besides the BL2 which is strictly better than it.

Dual Lasers have less power usage, Burst Laser II fires more shots, and Crystal Burst I pierces 1 shield and thus can do damage through 2 shields.
Mataza

Postby Mataza » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:38 am

magic9mushroom wrote:
BKT wrote:
Mataza wrote:Anyway, I´m interested which weapons are strictly better than Burst Laser 1, since I can´t think of any. The easiest setups of all is DAKKA; many, many, many single shots that tear through shields and then some. A Burst Laser 1 is, to me, just a part of that. And in that regard I don´t see any weapon besides the BL2 which is strictly better than it.

Dual Lasers have less power usage, Burst Laser II fires more shots, and Crystal Burst I pierces 1 shield and thus can do damage through 2 shields.

Dual Lasers and Crystal Burst are not normally available though. If you want those, you have to take a ship that starts with them(or luck out on getting to the crystal sector, at which point you will get it earliest sector 5).
Megas Domestikos

Postby Megas Domestikos » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:55 am

I like lasers myself. There was this some laser that consumed 4 power but had 3 damage, I had it on my Zoltan ship when I won my first victory two days ago. With the laser I had a good 3 damage missile system which I launched to enemy shields, then let the laser finish the job. Very long reload times but thankfully the Zoltan shield saved me from many perils.
Space Roman
EdenNov

Postby EdenNov » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:12 pm

Megas Domestikos wrote:There was this some laser that consumed 4 power but had 3 damage...

I think you mean beam, there's a difference.