[MOD][WIP] Star Trek Intrepid-class

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Serris

[MOD][WIP] Star Trek Intrepid-class

Postby Serris » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:40 pm

I drew a sprite of the ship, and I have it completely planned out in terms of layout and stats, but I can't get the ship creator utility to actually save it. If someone could help me get this in-game, I would very much appreciate it.
cogitator

Re: [MOD][WIP] Star Trek Intrepid-class

Postby cogitator » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:32 pm

Did you ever get this working? If not send me a PM.
First playable release of Extra Scoop is out! Download Link!
Serris

Postby Serris » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:40 am

I would, but I haven't posted enough to enable the feature. As of right now, progress is stonewalled because of mod utility problems.
Serris

Postby Serris » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:49 am

I've received new notifications of people interested in seeing this released, and I'm sorry to say that I still can't get it out because the tools to actually get the ship in-game are extremely unstable on my PC. Here are two versions of the sprite I created, for anyone who wants to give this a go themselves. Just please remember to give me credit if you do wind up using them in a mod.

With shading:

Without shading:
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:02 am

Best advice I can offer at this point is to grit your teeth and do it the hard way, within the raw ship.txt file. If the editor isn't cooperating, there's no point in relying on it (convenient as it might seem at first).
The room layouts aren't actually difficult to get right, they're just tedious and it's easy to get lost in the mess of numbers.

You'll find a guide here on how rooms and doors are set up. Note that any door that functions as an airlock must be set up such that the first room number is whichever room ID has the door attached, and the second number is -1 (empty space). Reversing this order causes the game to crash.

Since it's easy to get confused and just throw your hands up, my suggestion would be to lay out everything as you want it in the ship editor, take a screenshot of that layout, and use it as a visual guide while writing out your ship.txt. That way you can place numbers on the image to help keep room ID's and door numbers straight, black out the bits you've completed, and so forth. I won't lie and say it'll be tons of fun to do, but the joy of seeing your ship in game, functioning 100%, will vindicate everything you've worked for - and as with the game itself, make victory all the sweeter ;)
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:03 pm

If it's my ship editor you're using, post here or PM me explain what's up, I'll fix it for you :)
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
teeth_03

Postby teeth_03 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:59 pm

I have no idea how to mod this game, but I used to mod the Star Fleet Command games back in the day (10 years ago,lol),so I could probably figure it out.

If I could get the ships in the game,would you be willing to do more artwork for more ships?
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:37 am

<3 SFC
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
shade_30

Postby shade_30 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:50 am

Has anyone decided to pick this up and get it working in-game?
If not I could finish her up, seeing as I like the Intrepid class myself and have had no problems so far getting ships working in-game.
Serris

Postby Serris » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:33 am

Darkfrost wrote:If it's my ship editor you're using, post here or PM me explain what's up, I'll fix it for you :)

Oh, no, I was using the FTL Ship Creator by tazardar. Since your utility's been updated today, I think I'll give this another try.