Unlocking the Mantis ship

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Gus Smedstad

Unlocking the Mantis ship

Postby Gus Smedstad » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:14 am

I'm really annoyed with the process required to unlock the Mantis ship. I've unlocked all the other ships, including the B variants, and still no Mantis. People complain about the difficulty of unlocking the Crystal ship, but it seems I run into the stasis pod regularly, and most games I never see the Mantis homeworlds at all, let alone run into the named Mantis. I think I've seen him once, and I didn't have the requirements (teleporter / 2, med bay / 2) at the time.

I've been running the Crystal / B to unlock it, since it's one of the two ships available that starts with a teleporter, and choosing paths to red sectors, and no luck after several runs. I'm getting a bit tired of that ship - shooting stuff is just more fun than the monotony of boarding.
UltraMantis

Re: Unlocking the Mantis ship

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:31 am

Some people like boarding more. Personally i'm getting sick of getting the Mantis event, next time i'll send him your way. I often play a boarding game and since boarding and beefed up teleporters and medbays go hand in hand, and i prefer Mantis sectors to just about anything maybe it's not surprising i trigger that event so much.

If you're not a big fan of boarding, you aren't missing out on much with either of the Mantis cruisers esp. the type B.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
ExtraCheesyPie

Postby ExtraCheesyPie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:56 pm

UltraMantis wrote:Some people like boarding more. Personally i'm getting sick of getting the Mantis event, next time i'll send him your way. I often play a boarding game and since boarding and beefed up teleporters and medbays go hand in hand, and i prefer Mantis sectors to just about anything maybe it's not surprising i trigger that event so much.

If you're not a big fan of boarding, you aren't missing out on much with either of the Mantis cruisers esp. the type B.

I like the Carnelian better. It comes with all the fixings. (Except weapons).

Once you get a ion weapon and a bomb, you're set. Having heal bombs makes it even better! :D

I can't believe my luck right now...
I hate FTL...

But I love it at the same time...
Nimbostratus

Postby Nimbostratus » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:46 pm

Gus Smedstad wrote:I think I've seen him once, and I didn't have the requirements (teleporter / 2, med bay / 2) at the time.

Don't forget, you gotta have a Mantis crew member too. :lol:
More Dakka

Postby More Dakka » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:25 pm

...no, you don't need a Mantis. You also don't need a level 2 teleporter, just a level 1. The medbay *does* need to be at least level 2, though, and you do need to have a way to kill the crew w/o destroying the ship.
Gus Smedstad

Postby Gus Smedstad » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:51 pm

UltraMantis wrote:If you're not a big fan of boarding, you aren't missing out on much with either of the Mantis cruisers esp. the type B.

I just feel the need to complete the game with all the ship variants. I've won with everything else at this point.
icepick

Postby icepick » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:09 pm

I had a horrible time unlocking this as well. :/ I did get it eventually though.
Darkelve

Postby Darkelve » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:58 am

Gus Smedstad wrote:
UltraMantis wrote:If you're not a big fan of boarding, you aren't missing out on much with either of the Mantis cruisers esp. the type B.

I just feel the need to complete the game with all the ship variants. I've won with everything else at this point.

Yes, I know what you mean.
Currently I'm doing a run with the Stealth Ship A and prospects are looking very good.
My goal is to beat the game on Easy with all of the ships & layouts and after that, to do the same on normal.

Still have to unlock Stealh B, Rock Cruiser B, Crystal and Mantis ships.
Is the event for the Mantis ship the one where the dialogue says "what an odd Mantis"?
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:29 am

[SPOILER]

The event is a big bad Mantis ship, and you do need a Mantis crewmember to challenge the other ship to a ritual fight. To win this fight, you should incapacitate the ship and have a medbay lvl2 ready for survivors. It can be found sometimes in the Mantis Homeworlds sector.

This is why i suggest to everyone to play as a boarder and visit the red sectors. You are most likely to get the event and have the required gear if you play this way.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Zalminen

Postby Zalminen » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:49 am

UltraMantis wrote:[SPOILER]
The event is a big bad Mantis ship, and you do need a Mantis crewmember to challenge the other ship to a ritual fight. To win this fight, you should incapacitate the ship and have a medbay lvl2 ready for survivors. It can be found sometimes in the Mantis Homeworlds sector.

Mm, looking at data.dat it looks like having a Mantis crewmember isn't necessary, it's only there for the little flavour text.

You do need to win by killing the enemy crew and have a teleporter and lvl2 medbay though.