Favorite ship?

General discussion about the game.
Groudon12321

Favorite ship?

Postby Groudon12321 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:09 pm

I'm just wondering what everyone's favorite ship out of the layout a's are.
my favorite is probably the crystal cruiser.
TheMadnils

Re: Favorite ship?

Postby TheMadnils » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:13 pm

I can only say wich ones I like, I hav not unlocked the crytalship, I also need stealth B and Rock B. I like Kestral B, Zoltan A, Engi A and Stealth A. I efinn love Slug A and Mantis B. Well, Federatin A, B, Kestral A, Zoltan B, Mantis A and Sug B are ok, I sometimes use them, but I really hate Engi B and the Rockship. I have not unlocked Stalth B, because I could never find a ship with 9 lasers and usually lay my focus on the engines, using stealth only to doge shots, so I never upgrade it and can not finish the other achievment. The crystal ship is missing for obvious reasons, and the Rockship because I do not even want to go for the achievments. If I would have a sucsessfull run with the rockship, I would remove the rockets and replace them with lasers, bombs, ion, anything. I fucking hate missiles, they miss, they get shot down, they need ammo, and even if they hit, they do not destroy the system. When the next one is ready, the system is already repaired, so you can only beat the ship with their lousy hulldamage, you also waste all your money on new missiles, instead of upgrading the ship, and you stand no chance against zoltanshields.
Since evrybody already hates the vortex, I do not think I have to mention it here.
Groudon12321

Postby Groudon12321 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:35 am

Hmm which achievements do you need for the stealth ship?
i got the destroy a ship during a single cloak by playing on easy, and finding one of those automated scouts with 5 hp and no shields, with lvl 2 cloak.
I also got the "get to sector 8 without running into natural disasters" by upgrading my engines to max and running away.
Groudon12321

Postby Groudon12321 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:44 am

TheMadnils wrote:The crystal ship is missing for obvious reasons, and the Rockship because I do not even want to go for the achievments. If I would have a sucsessfull run with the rockship, I would remove the rockets and replace them with lasers, bombs, ion, anything. I fucking hate missiles, they miss, they get shot down, they need ammo, and even if they hit, they do not destroy the system. When the next one is ready, the system is already repaired, so you can only beat the ship with their lousy hulldamage, you also waste all your money on new missiles, instead of upgrading the ship, and you stand no chance against zoltanshields.

I actually think the rock ship A is really great, IF you can get a crew teleporter quickly. Rock plating is really useful especially in asteroid fields, and with only missile weapons you don't need to worry about taking out shields and instead you can try to hit the enemy weapon system(s). Yes zoltan shields do suck :( but by the time you encounter a zoltan ship with zoltan shields i usually have found a beam weapon.
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:06 am

My favourite thing about the ships in FTL is how the each play differently, at least at the start. If you want to play with rockets, you can start with the Rock Cruiser. Want drones? Engi Cruiser. Stealth? Stealth Cruiser (well, obviously...). Bio weaponry? Slug Cruiser. I could go on, but you get the point. :P

I don't have a single favourite because I like the fact that I can play however I feel like from the beginning of each run by simply picking the appropriate ship.
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
Todes_Schnitzel

Postby Todes_Schnitzel » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:16 pm

My favorite Ship is the Vortex , because she is the easiest ship.
Just kidding. :lol:
My favorite ship is the Toris.
MY ENGLISH IS TERRIBLYHELL YEAH!
This text is presented by Google translate , my english skill and german. :D
Fangz

Postby Fangz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Vortex.
lutzbot

Postby lutzbot » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:12 am

I keep trying the engi ship because I like the drone heavy playstyle, but I never have any success with it :P How long has it taken you guys to unlock the mantis ship? I've played through a few times and I don't think I've had the opportunity yet
More Dakka

Postby More Dakka » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:37 am

lutzbot wrote:I keep trying the engi ship because I like the drone heavy playstyle, but I never have any success with it :P How long has it taken you guys to unlock the mantis ship? I've played through a few times and I don't think I've had the opportunity yet

You need to

1) be in the Mantis Homeworlds,

2) meet a certain ship,
Spoiler (grey text) crewed by a legendary Mantis thief

3) win the battle by killing the crew but /not/ destroying the ship, and

4) be prepared to save a particular occupant with certain upgraded subsystems.
Spoiler (grey text) at least level 2 teleporter AND level 2 medbay; choose the blue options (quickly port over, quickly teleport back to medbay), and then

5) follow the quest marker.

I unlocked it only recently -- of the seven Type A's that I've unlocked (all but the Kestrel, which you start with rather than unlock; and the Slug Cruiser which continues to elude me), it was next-to-last (the most recent being the Crystal Cruiser).