The most infuriating encounter in the game.

General discussion about the game.
jamotide

Re: The most infuriating encounter in the game.

Postby jamotide » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:13 am

undergroundmonorail wrote:You're bad at the game.

Come on, he already said that he confused upgrading engines with upgrading the pilots seat.
ThePsuedoMonkey

Postby ThePsuedoMonkey » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:16 pm

Worst encounter? The Mantis refugee that boards your ship: no blue options and a healthy chance at taking 5 damage either way you swing it.
Hoa_Binh

Postby Hoa_Binh » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:06 pm

Nebula boarding ... four borders that gives zero rewards ...
undergroundmonorail

Postby undergroundmonorail » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:22 pm

jamotide wrote:
undergroundmonorail wrote:You're bad at the game.

Come on, he already said that he confused upgrading engines with upgrading the pilots seat.

Ah, I missed that part. Sorry.
Kenshkrix

Postby Kenshkrix » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:36 pm

ThePsuedoMonkey wrote:Worst encounter? The Mantis refugee that boards your ship: no blue options and a healthy chance at taking 5 damage either way you swing it.

This would definitely be my 'most infuriating encounter', this encounter has been positive for me once, and I keep running into it nearly every game.
undergroundmonorail

Postby undergroundmonorail » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:13 pm

Kenshkrix wrote:
ThePsuedoMonkey wrote:Worst encounter? The Mantis refugee that boards your ship: no blue options and a healthy chance at taking 5 damage either way you swing it.

This would definitely be my 'most infuriating encounter', this encounter has been positive for me once, and I keep running into it nearly every game.

I really enjoy that encounter, personally. I either get a Mantis crewmember, or take 5 damage. When you beat the enemy ship you get more than enough scrap to repair 5 damage. Not ideal, but worth the shot at a Mantis.
Number43

Postby Number43 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:42 am

What if you get the encouter when you have less than 5 hull remaining?
Marak

Postby Marak » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Just got the most bullshit Automated Drone ever. I'm in Sector 5 or 6, and get into a fight with this thing. It has:

Two, count them, TWO Anti-ship Drones, both Mk. II. That's 8 power in drones. I call bullshit.

On top of that, he had an Ion Cannon, a Missile Launcher, and some sort of Beam Weapon. That's at least 6 more power in Weapons, if not 7 or 8. Again, bullshit.

To cap things off, it had your typical bullshit Automated Drone Level 35 Engines with 89% Evade.

AND two Bars of Shields.

Now, that would be one hell of a tough fight at a Beacon in The Last Stand. In sector 6, it means you're going to die before you can jump away unless you just so happen to have high level Stealth (did I mention I was in the Federation Cruiser, so Stealth was not an option?) and well-upgraded Engines.

You simply cannot withstand that amount of firepower coming your way, even with Level 2 or 3 Shields and Level 3 or 4 Engines: we're talking 2 laser shots from the drones every couple of seconds, plus the Ion weapon dealing 2 Ion Damage to random systems (your shields first), PLUS the Beam Weapon tearing you up because the drones/ion combo means your shield are down 99% of the time. It took me from about 80% Hull to dead before my FTL Bar was 75% full.

Now, I don't mind getting killed, but when you have a solid run going and you get destroyed by a ship with "impossible-to-the-player" amounts of stuff, something that would give an "end-game" ship serious troubles, that's starting to cross the line from "losing is fun!" to "fuck you, cheating computer".
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:02 pm

This definitely isn't the most infuriating encounter in the game, but it certainly was irritating in context:

I was attempting to earn the Pacifism Run achievement for getting to sector 5 without firing a shot, activating a drone or teleporting, so I was flying the Stealth Cruiser Type A to take advantage of the 4 starting engines and starting cloak. I had sold all my weapons, upgraded my engines to 6, and had level 3 stealth as well, so I was pretty well equipped to get away from fights.

It is the fourth sector - Zoltan Homeworlds - and I am two jumps from the exit. When I make the jump, a crazy zoltan asks me to choose my doom, so I pick Slug because I don't want to have to deal with Mantis boarders or rock bombs and missiles. That's when I notice it... My FTL bar is grayed out. You can't run from the fight. I have absolutely no offensive systems (not that I'd be able to use one if I did), I'm now one jump from the exit, and I can't run from the fight.

FTL Y U DO THIS?!
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
EdenNov

Postby EdenNov » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Did you have fuel?