Any Mods to increase Crew numbers?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Kilm

Any Mods to increase Crew numbers?

Postby Kilm » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:10 am

As per the topic, I want to be able to get more crew on board so I can have dedicated boarding parties, repair teams etc.

I've had a search and can't find any mods for this - any ideas?
alextfish

Re: Any Mods to increase Crew numbers?

Postby alextfish » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:38 pm

No, I don't think it's possible to modify this with the standard modding tools.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
superkonata

Postby superkonata » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:04 pm

Isn't it already possible to get 8 crew members? That's a lot f you ask me, since the ships are pretty small.
Mj64

Postby Mj64 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:19 am

Infinite Space has enemies with 12 Crew.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:12 am

Mj64 wrote:Infinite Space has enemies with 12 Crew.

Enemy ships and player ships do not follow the same rules.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Attackid

Postby Attackid » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:43 am

You just go into the blueprints.xml
go to the ship you want The Kestrel for example and find this line
<crewCount amount = "3" class="human"/>
change the number to anything 8 and below

EDIT: yep just tested it now and works perfectly, you guys really should test things before you give false information
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Interesting. It's not quite the same though: I bet it doesn't work right for gaining new crew from events or shops. (In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if when you had a crew of 12, if you got an event that makes you lose a crewmember, you then have to dismiss 3 more.) It doesn't allow you to gradually accumulate the very large crew the OP wanted: only to start with them.

(On a related topic: amusingly, it's possible to have a player ship start with no crew. You don't get instant game over: in fact, you get the benefit of AI ships - damaged systems automatically slowly repair themselves! I've no idea what would happen if you hit a gain or lose crew event though. Lose crew would probably give you game over even though you had none to start with.)

EDIT: I've been testing out a mod with this - the Robotic Cruiser - and it actually works fine. Lose crew just does nothing. You can't choose to gain crew, but if an event forces a crewmember on you, they can stay on your ship; if you power up the oxygen they can even gain useful XP. But the systems still count as crewed even without living crew, and if all the living crew die, the robotic ship can still fly on undeterred. It's basically the best of both worlds.
Last edited by alextfish on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:58 pm

Attackid wrote:You just go into the blueprints.xml
go to the ship you want The Kestrel for example and find this line
<crewCount amount = "3" class="human"/>
change the number to anything 8 and below

EDIT: yep just tested it now and works perfectly, you guys really should test things before you give false information

Every modder who looks at this thread probably assume the OP means 'beyond the 8 limit everyone knows about' and not just changing the starting crew of a ship which is modding 101... no, introduction to modding kindergarten level.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:00 pm

alextfish wrote:(On a related topic: amusingly, it's possible to have a player ship start with no crew. You don't get instant game over: in fact, you get the benefit of AI ships - damaged systems automatically slowly repair themselves! I've no idea what would happen if you hit a gain or lose crew event though. Lose crew would probably give you game over even though you had none to start with.)

That is cool. Trying to think if there is a way I can take advantage of this in FotF...
alpha wolfgang

Postby alpha wolfgang » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:10 am

so... it's NOT possible to have more than 8 effectively?