Anyone unlocked all the ships *Contains Spoilers*

General discussion about the game.
TenLetters

Re: Anyone unlocked all the ships *Contains Spoilers*

Postby TenLetters » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:20 am

Mantis Ship Spoilers

Yup, just got it myself talhydras! Just to confirm what you need:

>Teleporter (Mine was rank 2, don't know about rank 1)
>Medbay (Mine was rank 3. Did not have option at rank 1. Possibly rank 2 works.)
>Mantis (Does a dance beforehand, as well as after, so he must be alive at the end of the engagement.)

What you need to do:

>Choose every blue option.
>Kill all the mantis, not the ship.
TenLetters

Postby TenLetters » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:32 am

talhydras wrote:Attaching some screenshots of its layout and its special system.

OBVIOUSLY, spoilers.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5805715/SPOILERSrooms.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5805715/SPOILERSnorooms.png

Should be noted that the augment increases the crew's movement speed by 25%

You must BUY sensors, which costs 40 scrap from a merchant.
talhydras

Postby talhydras » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:34 am

Yeah, and that single basic laser is not exactly the amount of dakka I was expecting.

Still a pretty fun ship, though!
TenLetters

Postby TenLetters » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:40 am

Yeah, it's pretty neat starting with a teleporter. Lets you get a lot of resources very quickly. The layout is so spread out you really need the 25% movement speed increase, and starting with 3 mantis makes your ship get hectic pretty quick since no one can repair but your one engi.

Automated drones are a pain early on. Either need to find/power better weapons or get rank 2 teleporters and settle down for a long fight.

I need to give the Stealth ship a better go. I only tried once and died really fast without shields. Starting with Advanced Hull Plating and engine 4 seems like things can either go really well or really poor really fast.
talhydras

Postby talhydras » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:04 am

When I did my mantis cruiser run I plumped for teleporters 2 first thing. I think that might have been a serious mistake - weapons 2 instead and going for a more conventional start and easing into the all-capture all-the-time play would probably have been better. I'm not sure about the greater resources from capturing actually - you get a lot of scrap, but less fuel, drones, and missiles. I found myself needing a fair amount of missiles for the small bomb. You definitely get more chances at rescuing prisoners by capturing though. Auto-ships required two mantises being beamed in and out by a teleporter 2 and getting healed by a medbay 2 :cry:

I quite liked the stealth ship actually when I played it - the extra sensors are really nice, and as far as I can tell its dual lasers are better than burst laser 1 - requires less power and recharges more rapidly. If only I could get three more! Cloaking defensively - when you're about to be hit - is really effective.

My favorite is the Federation ship, though. It's pretty flexible and resilient in the earlygame without being too overspecialized.
TenLetters

Postby TenLetters » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:19 am

I'm not a big missile guy, so I prefer to just get pure scrap and fuel. My Mantis run ended when I teleported onto a drone ship just as it knocked out my teleporter, so they all died from lack of oxygen. I suppose it wasn't over, but I didn't feel like continuing at that point, haha.

Yeah, the Federation ship is very solid. It has a good layout (central med bay, several hatches to let out oxygen), starts with 4 units of varying races, and the 4 Basic Lasers honestly can hold you down until the later sectors (3 shield) very easily.
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:11 am

Just unlocked Mantis as well

did it with 1 Mantis Crew, Med bay rank 2 and teleporter rank 2 , blue options all the way :D

was in sector 3 Mantis Homeworlds
WordMercenary

Postby WordMercenary » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:31 am

Med bay! That's what I've been missing all this time. Thanks guys, I was worried I'd need a brain slug or something.
Able_Baker

Postby Able_Baker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:38 pm

you only need level 2 medbay =D
TenLetters

Postby TenLetters » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:42 pm

For posterity's sake, I'll just put down how to get every ship, if people come to this thread late. This is obviously spoilers:

>Playing on Easy or Normal has no effect on unlocking ships.

Engi Ship:

To Unlock: Just get to the fifth sector. Not too bad, especially on easy.

Notable Attributes: Comes with 2 Engi crew, 1 human, 3 weapon slots (2 Ion Cannons), a Drone Bay with 3 slots (1 Anti-Ship Drone, your only means of damaging a hull), an augment that heals all friendlies on your ship as long as your med bay is up, and is a funny circle shape.

Federation Ship:

To Unlock:Beat the final boss. Not too bad on easy. If you're having trouble, there are other threads detailing different strategies on how to beat him.

Notable Attributes: Very strong. Has 4 weapons slots equipped with 4 basic lasers (once you get the drone bay, only 2 drone slots), 4 crew members (Human, Engi, Rockman, Mantis), and a good ship layout (central med bay, several air hatches).

Stealth Ship:

To Unlock:

Required: An Engi.
Steps: Find the Engi Homeworlds (A green sector, I've found it as low as Sector 3 and up to Sector 6 I believe. Don't really know the limits, if any, on where it can spawn.). One of the planets you visit will have a special event. If you have an Engi on board, there will be a blue option. Choose it. Two quest icons will appear, each with a ship you need at attack. One quest icon yields nothing. The other is the proper ship, which will give you another quest icon when defeated. When either of these ships gets weakened, they'll spill the beans and you can choose to just FTL away. The next quest icon that appears has a mantis ship at it. Kill the ship, and you'll be rewarded with the Stealth ship.

Notable Attributes: Has no shields (must be purchased for 150 scrap) but has Stealth rank 1. Comes with 3 human crewmembers, 3 weapon slots (a double laser and a mini beam -- apparently people are hating on beams, but this 1 energy beam can do 3-4 damage to every ship, which is pretty bloody great), a rank 4 engine, Rank 2 Sensors and two augments (long range scanners and advanced hull plating (25% chance to avoid hull damage)). While it has no shields, the hull plating combined with rank 4 engines gives you roughly a 44% chance to avoid any hull damage. Combined with Stealth, you won't take very much damage. Beware of asteroid fields or your engines being hacked.

Mantis Ship:

To Unlock:
Required: A mantis, Teleporter (Apparently Rank 2, but maybe Rank 1), Med-Bay Rank 2.
Steps: Get to the Mantis Homeworlds (Red icon). There will be an event where the game mentions a really long named Mantis thief captain. Choose the Mantis option and you'll do a dumb dance. During the fight, DO NOT BLOW UP THE SHIP. You must kill the members of the crew (use your teleporter). Then choose the blue option once again to teleport the survivors into your med bay. Your mantis will talk to the surviving thief captain, and you will unlock the ship. A new quest marker shows up, but that's just for more scrap/weapons.

Notable Attributes: Comes with a Rank 1 Teleporter, but no Sensors (Must be purchased for 40 scrap). 4 Crew members (3 Mantis, 1 Engi), 3 Weapon Slots (pretty mediocre initial weapons), and an augment that gives 25% allied movement speed.
Last edited by TenLetters on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.