[SUGGESTION] Bigger and better!!!

General discussion about the game.
ScubaFett

[SUGGESTION] Bigger and better!!!

Postby ScubaFett » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:58 am

Hi all,

First off, love the game. So fun and addictive. There has only been 1 game for the last 2-3 years that I've really had fun with which is Minecraft, but now FTL is a new favourite. I have a few suggestions that might be too much to adapt in to FTL but they could go into a FTL2??

1. Bigger ships
2. More alien races
3. Larger crews
a. Could assign people to a certain area so when a battle occurs you can press a "RETURN TO POST" button to get everyone where they should be.
4. Free to go anywhere and have your own adventure. Maybe even join the rebellion?
5. Have a max level that is hard to get to but is worth it (as in enough power to run all systems at max) /overkill :P
6. All systems can be manned. ie. Teleporters being manned could mean you can lock onto intruders and beam them into space or even people to the medi-bay. Manned security means you could view all rooms in a ship even in a nebula.
7. Multiple ship battles. My ship and a friendly NPC versing a couple of enemy NPCs. And if my ship is about to blow, I could teleport to the friendly's ship and assume command.
8. Stealing other ships. If an NPC has a better ship, I would want to kill them and take it, then either keep my original ship in the cargo bay or use it for scrap to improve the new ship.
9. Multiplayer. It'd be great to be part of a fleet and travel with others. To make things easy, the person that makes all the travel decisions would be the Fleet Admiral. People travelling to different locales in the same universe would be great but my first multiplayer idea would be a good test and promote teamwork.
10. Have a crew member that represents yourself/captain so if they die, it's game over - Just to make it a little harder :D

Points 1 to 3 is basically me saying, I love to micro-manage. A giant ship carrying a crew of say 200 people would be awesome. You could then have scenarios like sections of the ship losing power/oxygen or even get blown off, I could have away missions and not worry too much about losing a large percentage of my crew (2 out of 8 is still 25%). Or the ultimate space adventure - You end up on the other side of the universe and try to get home.

I think that's all my ideas for the moment. Let me know what you think :)
Benskie

Re: [SUGGESTION] Bigger and better!!!

Postby Benskie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:03 pm

^ This
ScubaFett

Postby ScubaFett » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:14 pm

Oh, forgot to mention - DO NOT CHANGE THE OLD SCHOOL GRAPHICS - So awesome
doomeater54

Postby doomeater54 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:30 pm

ScubaFett wrote:7. Multiple ship battles. My ship and a friendly NPC versing a couple of enemy NPCs. And if my ship is about to blow, I could teleport to the friendly's ship and assume command.
8. Stealing other ships. If an NPC has a better ship, I would want to kill them and take it, then either keep my original ship in the cargo bay or use it for scrap to improve the new ship.

for 8 you could also use the ship that you steal in multiple ship battles but you need to send your own crew over to man it
Kestral B

Postby Kestral B » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:15 pm

First, these are clearly FTL2 / major expansion pack suggestions, not things that could possibly be done quickly or are likely to appear in any "patch" of the current game.

But of course they would still be awesome.
1.) Because of the way ship upgrades work (on a fairly limited power/upgrade arc designed to fit the length of the current game), any "long campaign" or "free exploration" game would need to include the option to have multiple ships and trade the entire ships out for bigger and better models with more capacity for power/weapons/systems. Thus upgrading your fleet would become the goal, and you'd transcend the limited power curve of single ships.
2.) You'd basically be taking FTL's battle mechanics and superimposing them on a base-game that had a lot more in common with Tradewinds Legends or Escape Velocity Nova. You'd need to:
a.) greatly expand everything about the current game's basic structure (potentially huge job).
b.) add tons of brand new content and re-balance everything around multi-ship combat.
c.) Create a whole new space RPG/Adventure/Commerce game from the ground up to serve as the platter on which this expanded combat system would be served.
zenpunk

Postby zenpunk » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:30 am

ScubaFett wrote: a. Could assign people to a certain area so when a battle occurs you can press a "RETURN TO POST" button to get everyone where they should be.

This. A thousand times, this. Especially when you have like 8 crew, and then you have a long heated battle and everyone is everywhere, it's such a pain getting everyone back into position.

This is particularly frustrating when you have 2 people manning a room and the wrong one is on the controls, you have to move him out of the room, let the main guy take the control, then move the second guy back in.. which is kinda stupid. They should know to do that themselves. Either automate it, so the one with the highest skill in a room automatically takes the control for the room, or, do what the OP suggests and add a "To your stations!" button.
ScubaFett

Postby ScubaFett » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:37 pm

zenpunk wrote:
ScubaFett wrote: a. Could assign people to a certain area so when a battle occurs you can press a "RETURN TO POST" button to get everyone where they should be.

This. A thousand times, this. Especially when you have like 8 crew, and then you have a long heated battle and everyone is everywhere, it's such a pain getting everyone back into position.

This is particularly frustrating when you have 2 people manning a room and the wrong one is on the controls, you have to move him out of the room, let the main guy take the control, then move the second guy back in.. which is kinda stupid. They should know to do that themselves. Either automate it, so the one with the highest skill in a room automatically takes the control for the room, or, do what the OP suggests and add a "To your stations!" button.

Just thinking about it ZenPunk, there should also be a REPORT TO MEDI-BAY button, because I hate trying to figure out who has full health and who has 97% health if you know what I mean :P
0evil_overlord0

Postby 0evil_overlord0 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:14 am

I wonder if it would be possible to mod ships with more than 8 crew... I could try making a huge cruiser to play as, but the four-weapon mak is hardcoded. I could always use the artillery beam and boss weapons for heavy weaponry.
ScubaFett

Postby ScubaFett » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:46 am

I had a dream last night that FTL became a fully first-person 3D game where you walk around on your ship. It was 8 player multi and so it played exactly like FTL but each person had to man their station or be on standby in the halls. If someone died, next time you're ship is at a shop, a new player waiting in a lobby can be bought.

That idea could be moved to a MMO so players wouldn't be in a lobby per-say. They could hang out on a planet doing stuff to earn money to buy a ship and start their own crew if they liked.

I feel this game could start its own multiplayer genre :P
S.K. Ren

Postby S.K. Ren » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:19 am

Just wait for 0x10[sup]c[/sup] to come out.