Weapon Ideas

General discussion about the game.
GreenZanbato

Weapon Ideas

Postby GreenZanbato » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:51 pm

Just thought I'd make a thread for new weapon ideas. Here are some I've thought of:

Particle Cannon
-targets 2-3 rooms
-does particle damage, which is a long lasting DOT that damages systems and crew member for a time then disperses
-one shot would destroy a system bar and do 100 damage to crew that stay the whole time
-damages over a 10 sec period
-multiple shots reset time, doesn't stack
-engis take 1.5x damage, zoltan take half damage

Pod Launcher
-shoots crew at the enemy ship to board (works with drones)
-specify who to use in a little menu
-pierces 1 shield
-crew is killed if pod is stopped
-holds up to 4 people
-causes breach in room hit
-does heavy damage to enemy crew it hits
-high risk high reward

Strike Beam
-no beam length
-no damage
-pierces all shields
-causes breach in room it hits
-instakills humans, mantis, and slug
-no damage to zoltan, rock, crystal, and engi
-high charge time

What ideas do you guys have?
tman7919

Re: Weapon Ideas

Postby tman7919 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:01 pm

the particle cannon looks cool
http://youtu.be/fLEQLDMyOks
Captain's Signature as of Stardate; 10.20.12
Supplemental as of Stardate; 10.28.12
doomeater54

Postby doomeater54 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:02 am

I don't think the strike beam should kill people in in one hit as that can very easily screw you over, other than that seems rather good
Last edited by doomeater54 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:13 am

Compare the Strike Beam to the Bio Beam -- the Bio Beam has a long charge time, cannot breach, cannot penetrate shields, and takes at least three hits to kill crew (though it can hit multiple crew in each shot). And of course, if the enemy has a medbay then the Bio Beam is practically worthless until it is destroyed.

I can't see the Strike Beam being balanced with less than a 60s charge time, frankly.
GreenZanbato

Postby GreenZanbato » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:46 pm

By high charge time I meant very high charge time, much longer than the glaive. Plus you would need a direct hit since it's a beam, which would require lvl 2 sensors and some precision. It's supposed to be an extremely concentrated high power beam that pierces straight through the enemy ship, which I imagine would one hit kill any organic crew like humans or mantis. Also does anyone have their own ideas to post?
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:50 pm

Interesting ideas. I hadn't thought of a DOT weapon (though I always liked the idea of corrosive gas). I agree with others that any weapon that instakills people (no matter how long the charge time) is probably OP. The fact that it would affect different aliens differently is interesting though.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Vitodawn

Postby Vitodawn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:11 am

Perhaps instead of the strike beam we could have the drill beam? No beam length, 2 power, hits twice, causes breach on the spot it hits?
GreenZanbato

Postby GreenZanbato » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:08 am

Anyone have their own ideas?
0evil_overlord0

Postby 0evil_overlord0 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:57 am

What about a missile that uses four power with a 35 second recharge and does no system or hull damage, but brings down all shields? It can't be used on it's own and has sch a long recharge it will only be used once or twice in a fight, but gives you a single powerful volley. There could also be weaker versions for use in earlier sectors with a limited amount of shield damage.

I would love to see more weapons with special effects like the lockdown bomb. (It's a weapon that can only be found in the secret sector) What about a weapon that does no damage but causes crew it hits to randomly run around the ship for a certain amount of time?

What about a beam that jams doors open temporarily? It would have a recharge the same length of time as the effect, but if you want to vent an area of the enemy ship you need to keep shields down. This would require enemy ships to have airlocks.

The strike beam is essentially "kill it quick or instantly lose a crew member." A better Idea would be an anti-bio bomb that does 65 damage. It isn't an instakill, but it could easily kill someone who has already taken damage from a battle. This way you get a similar effect, but without the chance of encountering a ship that will instantly kill a crew member.

The crew pod seems a little weak, due to the high chance of losing crew and how much better a teleporter is in that scenario. If it failed to hit, it could be left drifting instad and you lose the crew members until the end of the battle.
Groudon12321

Postby Groudon12321 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:26 am

What about a beam weapon that you can aim basically 3 mini-beams at once, takes 3 power, and 17 second recharge time