Please patch the cloak - let it reset after the enemy death.

General discussion about the game.
duenor

Please patch the cloak - let it reset after the enemy death.

Postby duenor » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:49 pm

Right now I'm playing the DA-12, which can't survive a single battle without that cloak.

Each time I win a battle, I have to remember to let the cloak timer run out & reset.

If I forget even once, I will get my rear end handed to me on a silver platter the next battle, since I won't be able to cloak for 50 seconds.

This is a major bummer... and in addition, games take 3x as long.

If the teleporter can reset after enemy death, why can't the cloaking device?

Please fix this in a future patch...?
FDru

Re: Please patch the cloak - let it reset after the enemy de

Postby FDru » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:20 pm

Everytime I play the stealth ship, this desire keeps coming to me.
Airk

Postby Airk » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:01 pm

I agree - applying the same logic to the Cloak that applies to the teleporter (i.e. it auto-resets if you are out of "threat") would be a very nice time and trouble saver.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:27 pm

I disagree. The teleporter reseting has no overall effect on the game. It's different with the cloak. If it reset at every jump, you would be able to immediatley cloak which gives you an advantage when fleeing combat and running into another enemy vessel. The cloak is very powerfull since it gives you a sort of First Strike ability. The Nesasio at least can wipe out some enemies without taking any damage at all. You can't ask for that kind of ability in every encounter.

Just wait for the cloak to recycle and make sure it is ready for use before jumping. And if you must flee, try to hold out as long as you can so you can engage it sooner if you need to.

Make it a priority to upgrade the cloak if it's a very important system.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Kestral B

Postby Kestral B » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:38 pm

UltraMantis wrote:I disagree. The teleporter reseting has no overall effect on the game. It's different with the cloak. If it reset at every jump, you would be able to immediately cloak which gives you an advantage when fleeing combat and running into another enemy vessel. The cloak is very powerful since it gives you a sort of First Strike ability. The Nesasio at least can wipe out some enemies without taking any damage at all. You can't ask for that kind of ability in every encounter.

Just wait for the cloak to recycle and make sure it is ready for use before jumping. And if you must flee, try to hold out as long as you can so you can engage it sooner if you need to.

Make it a priority to upgrade the cloak if it's a very important system.

I think you misunderstand.

People are suggesting that cloak reset when you're not being threatened - the same way the FTL drive immediately charges or the teleporter resets.

No one was saying that it should reset if you flee a battle.

And saying "You can't ask for that kind of ability in every encounter." misses the point entirely. If people follow your own advice and "Just wait for the cloak to recycle and make sure it is ready for use before jumping." then they will have that power in every encounter. Everyone wants to use all their systems in every encounter - the only exception is trying to conserve missiles and drone parts.

Edit: I also think it's a good suggestion and probably easy to include in the next minor patch if there is one.
Cactuschef

Postby Cactuschef » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:44 pm

I wholeheartedly agree. the non-reset of the cloak after combat in a safe location means only two things; sitting there and twiddling your thumbs after combat, or possibly getting screwed over if you forget to stop and twiddle your thumbs.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:33 am

Yeah, safe location is a different story. Currently cloak and oxygen are the only two things that don't reset when the ship is safe. And both can have severe consequences if you rush into the next encounter.

I wouldnt mind if they at least recycle while i'm browsing ship systems or looking at the map, that way the timewasting would be much lesser.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Cactuschef

Postby Cactuschef » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:38 am

UltraMantis wrote:Yeah, safe location is a different story. Currently cloak and oxygen are the only two things that don't reset when the ship is safe. And both can have severe consequences if you rush into the next encounter.

I wouldnt mind if they at least recycle while i'm browsing ship systems or looking at the map, that way the timewasting would be much lesser.

I was thinking about suggesting that the oxygen be reset as well, but theoretically you might actually want to keep certain sections vented or partially vented. might not be the best idea, but i think the option should remain, if only to mess around with.

combined with the fact that while you'll almost always use your cloak, but only occasionally vent the ship's atmo, ultimately i think the oxygen part isn't really a needed change.
FDru

Postby FDru » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:48 am

Cactuschef wrote:I was thinking about suggesting that the oxygen be reset as well, but theoretically you might actually want to keep certain sections vented or partially vented. might not be the best idea, but i think the option should remain, if only to mess around with.

combined with the fact that while you'll almost always use your cloak, but only occasionally vent the ship's atmo, ultimately i think the oxygen part isn't really a needed change.

When I use the Engi B, I play with the entire ship vented at all times except the cockpit and one small empty 2x1 room, so yeah. That option needs to stay. Refilling oxygen is not usually a critical issue, anyway. If you have enough that your crew aren't taking damage, you are fine.
duenor

Postby duenor » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:28 am

basically, my point is that the way it is right now is a pointless hindrance. it doesn't add anything to the game - it just makes you sit around and wait.

I would like to take this issue one step further, too... there should be a "fast forward" option like there is in defense grid.