Suggestion: Increase repair speed after a battle.

General discussion about the game.
Warbird

Re: Suggestion: Increase repair speed after a battle.

Postby Warbird » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Lanfeix wrote:We dont have to wait for the FTL drive to spool when the battles after why should we wait for repair?

That's just it, you do. It charges during the fight and then you can jump. There's nothing stopping you from jumping in the middle of a fight either.
jocan2003

Postby jocan2003 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:33 pm

Wanderduene wrote:
AJTilley wrote:P.s. i have survived a battle and then lost the ship because a fire that was started, which spread and destroyed half my ship, I was battling against it until the damage was so great all my oxygen was lost and my crew died.
It was a lot of fun and a new part of the game to me. with this idea in effect that kind of situtation wouldnt be possible. Which would be a loss for all.

Exactly that I mean :-)

Amen, no fast forward/insta repair. Also a few time i tried to get out of solar system with fire trying to jump to a safe place... only to end up in an asteroid field or worse another star and have hard time suriving, these are moment that keep you on the edge. If insta repair is there it mean EVERY fight you start fully combat ready, while if you have to escape a danger zone with damage you start combat with damage.
salbris

Postby salbris » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:41 am

Bomaz wrote:With no ongoing fire or similar hazards one should just have the ship auto-repair (possibly put it as an option in the menu).

Likewise I feel crew should automaticly be teleported onboard after the enemy ship's crew is dead (assuming no hazards or fires onboard that ship of course)

Seconded, as long as this fast-forward option doesn't put you out of harms way then it's perfectly fine. Just allow us to disable it so we can still have an immersive feel.
emlazz

Postby emlazz » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:59 am

Repair speed is already fast... repairing and reconfiguring is one of the funnest parts of the game. 100% disagree with this idea. If anything, game is already paced too quickly with regard to ship management: I feel like I'm spending a BIT too much time clicking on the next sector.
OrangeBottle

Postby OrangeBottle » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:55 am

AJTilley wrote:I think a lot of people dont get that this is a roguelike game and trying to be immersive, a roguelike is about punishing the player a little and making things harder the longer you play. Also you have to wait for repair because the damage if left unrepaired or not repaired correctly and efficiently can cause further damage, damage the hull, start fires etc... It can get worse. Whereas ftl spooling can only get better it slowly powers up if someone is in the cockpit so speeding that up doesnt effect gameplay, but speeding up repair or making instant repair would.

I imagine their aim is to give you a choice you can either choose to wait for repair which can be less enjoyable at times or jump to the next system not fully prepared... The choice is yours.
Ultimately I dont see them changing this system at all.

^^
This. The game's genre is roguelike for a reason. It's supposed to be very difficult.

Jason wrote:Well the point is that its spoiling the flow of the game, if there are no enemies or outside danger like a flare why wait around to repair systems that will be repaired anyway without any danger? Its like putting an unnecessary traffic light in the flow of the game.

You don't have to repair your ship. You can charge blindly ahead if you really want to. Of course, that's a really bad idea, but you can. Also, having to repair the ship after combat adds more danger to the game. The danger that that lingering, ship-wide fire could blow you up after you survived that powerful enemy, or that all the breaches that occured may kill some of your crew off. It also adds some strategy. For example, you could leave certain unimportant areas breached for emergency air draining from specific sections.

One secret to a good game is to not put in any features or game play that annoy the player unnecessarily.

You didn't have to buy the game, you know.

Lanfeix wrote:We dont have to wait for the FTL drive to spool when the battles after why should we wait for repair?

Because it makes no sense for the ship to instantly repair it's subsystems after a battle.

During the battle, lots of power is going towards the shields, weapons, drones, cloaker, and teleporter(at least two of those systems are guaranteed to be on your ship at any given time) thus preventing it from being channeled directly into the engine so that the FTL drive is immediately usable. Also, the drive needs to recharge during the battle because it just expended plenty of energy getting to the battle in the first place.

Besides, it takes all of two minutes to repair some of the most advanced ships, except in those special situations where you're down to one crewmember. At that point, it's time to open all the airlocks and commit space seppuku.

All that said, I am strongly opposed to this idea because there are very good arguments against it, and no good arguments for it have come up.
esdin

Postby esdin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:30 am

I'm strongy opposed to this: part of the strategy of the game is making sure you're prepared before you jump. With no threats remaining, you can be impatient and jump before cloak is ready, or your shields are back up. This adds to the "hah, I'm an idiot" factor, and since the solution is to slow down and relax, I don't think it's necessary to change it.
aviphysics

Postby aviphysics » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:14 pm

One issue is that individual crew members get xp for repairing stuff. If it just auto repaired you wouldn't get to decide who got the xp.

Speeding up time a little, maybe double, would be good though. Just say the crew repair the ship faster when it is not doing hard turns and exploding.