Don't you think this is kinda.......silly?

General discussion about the game.
Agent_L

Re: Don't you think this is kinda.......silly?

Postby Agent_L » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:44 pm

I think it might be plausible that rebel fleet lets you slip through because they can't imagine that one ship is a big threat. They're too focused on outnumbering formations of Federation fleet to chase you.

And then you catch the boss basically with pants down, when it's too far away from rest of the fleet to help it.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
FreedomFighter

Postby FreedomFighter » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:33 pm

but they let you enough time to screw it 3 times without support their flagship? even in Last Stand sector it's seem Feddie didn't do quite well at holding the line since each beacon keep being overrun, like i said before, one of my playthrough the Feddie Base have been overrun on turn 2 when i left it!!!
the game itself awesome but story didn't make any sense of logic LOL (it did bother me but didn't affect much, i still love the game)
anyway if you knew Flagship was their weakness, would it better to........destroy them before it reach last sector?

yes this discuss seem silly too but we have fun exchange our imagine and idea among people too, no hard feeling :D
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:41 am

The Federation forces engage the Rebels at the last stand. And presuming that the whole point of your trip was to warn the Feds of the Mothership and the danger it represents, it still doesnt make sense to send you in alone to kill it.

The only explanation is that since you know more about it than anyone, you'll have the best chance. Which doesnt work because it turns out you know jack about the Mothership and it's abilities. Who guessed it would runaway so much? Or that it had AI?

Don't tell me not to take the game to seriously in a thread dedicated to the game's plot holes. The gameplay is logical, but the story around the gameplay is flawed. During the last stand ofc, the rest is fine.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
FreedomFighter

Postby FreedomFighter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:23 am

only thing i know about that Flagship is it screw up my Kestral hard, when i finally destroy it i'm so happy, i'm crying then it warp away.........later i know it lose only left wing, omg i hate my life..........
the phase 2 completely nightmare, didn't prepare and though i will get raped hard with that MANY DRONES!!!
that like slap to my face just like first time my ship been invaded by load of Mantis.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:15 pm

Hard luck. It's very hard to beat the Mothership on the first try, but it feels very good to finally blow it up eventually. Very satisfying.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:46 pm

UltraMantis wrote:The only explanation is that since you know more about it than anyone, you'll have the best chance. Which doesnt work because it turns out you know jack about the Mothership and it's abilities. Who guessed it would runaway so much? Or that it had AI?
Here's my going theory: the flagship has a superpower that renders it immune to normal ships -- like, say, a continually-regenerating Zoltan shield. But your ship has a special system installed that can disable that superpower and leave it vulnerable to attack. In the third phase of the fight, the flagship has managed to start working around your countermeasure, but it hasn't perfected its technique yet (or the damage it has sustained in the prior two fights means it can't keep the shield up all the time).

Anyone else going up against the flagship would be unable to penetrate the shield. The player's special system cannot be uninstalled and reinstalled to a new ship in time (and certainly there's no time to duplicate it!). In the FTL 'verse, only one ship can fight another ship at a time, so the player can't even just hang around to disable the flagship's superpowers and let other Fed ships destroy it; they have to do everything themselves.

As far as I can tell this justifies everything in the endgame without leaving any plot holes. It's just a shame that nothing like this is actually stated in-game.
FreedomFighter

Postby FreedomFighter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:06 am

player ship also not differ from standard Ferddie army but to be the hero that kill last boss and save the day always felt awesome no matter what :D

man the Mantis B with 4 Mantis boarder on Flagship never get old.
bulba

Postby bulba » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:21 am

they should sell their IP to bio, sure you will get an epic stroy with an awesome button :twisted:
SushaBrancaleone

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:10 pm

bulba wrote:they should sell their IP to bio, sure you will get an epic stroy with an awesome button :twisted:

after i played swtor the only thing i would entrust bioware with is, the children of my worst enemy....
furyfire

Postby furyfire » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:55 am

Hi guys, been playing FTL for a week now. My own theory about all this is that:

The Federation is still helping you. You have to think that the gameplay of FTL focuses on ship classes from fighters to light cruisers. But it has been referenced in game already of the presence of larger cruisers and battleships. Perhaps the only one in game you encounter being the Rebel Experimental Mothership. But if you look at the background sprites at the federation ships and rebel ships there is no doubt that there are larger ships out there.

Maybe the secret that the Rebel Mothership has is that it has shields powerful enough to withstand cruiser grade batteries. But if fighter, frigate or small cruiser could get close enough, it could exploit it. Unfortunately, the last stand sector is one huge battlefield (or battlespace). From most systems, you'll have opposing lines of federation and rebel cruisers trading shots with each other. Among them moving like small swarms would be the fighters and frigates, (like you). Every available federation ship will be no doubt be employed in this last stand, including the weary heroes that brought the message. As the battle rages throughout the sector you could either do two things: attempt to slip past the battle, since the cruiser and heavy ships clearly cannot, being tied down in combat and all. In doing so you could take the Rebel Mothership off guard. Or you could wait for it to arrive at the Federation lines. There the big federation ships will try its best to hold the line, the smaller ships will fight off their counterparts while you manage to slip through and fight the mothership.

As for the federation base being "taken" be rebels in a few turns. It doesn't necessarily mean that the capital world / or base world is lost. It's just that the system space is dominated by rebels and though they hold the skies, they are only beginning to besiege the planet. The Federation capital would still hold on, but the space of the system is cordoned off by the rebels now and will be dangerous to jump to.

As the siege continues, the planet orbital batteries can wreak potential havoc to any landing craft or ship-to-land artillery ships. The rebels answer to this must be the Rebel Mothership itself, hence the importance of stopping it if the Federation would hope to have a chance of staving off a siege.

Aside from the Last stand sector:
I have an interesting view point on the existence of the factions and why the different races have differing relations. In my view point:

-The various races have all spanned out and even became fragmentary.
-Humanity still manages to stay whole though.
-Intermingling of various species in human worlds have birthed a new ideology of peace and coexistence
-Human worlds and nearby Engi and Zoltan worlds (not necessarily homeworlds) began forming alliances to protect each other
-The same goes with the Mantis and Rockmen, but far rarer due to their nature.
-Eventually the Federation began to exist with a conglomeration of Human, Engi, Zoltan, Mantis and Rockman worlds.
-Immigrant slugs are also eventually considered a core population of the Federation, though no slug worlds really defected to the Federation.
-Wars would ensue as Mantis and Rockmen factions attempt to retake worlds that have "defected" to the Federation. Most of the major wars are between Mantis-Federation though
-Eventually this wars ended with a peace treaty, neither side losing: The Federation gets to retain control of its various alien worlds.
-decades of peace pass
-growing ideology of human superiority OR xenophobia from the Human coreworlds
-Human coreworlds begin expelling its engi, mantis, rockmen, slug, zoltan populations.
-Federation leaders appalled and attempted to crack down on the systems
-Human coreworlds will not be dissuaded, open rebellion occured as coreworlds began declared independence from the federation. This constituted about 30% of the Federation + another 30% from worlds with Human populace that threaten to turn.
-Open civil war occurs as Federation Reactionary Fleet begins to subdue the Rebels by force.
-Rebels managed to break defeat the fleet, this inspired more rebellions from the other 30% of the sector.
-The Federation is literally fragmented, as the Rebels rise from numerous sectors.
-several years, the federation is slowly being defeated, until the war eventually begins to stagnate.
-Certain federation excursion at the rebel homeworlds (the original human homeworlds) resulted in another epic space battle.
-The federation fleet would ultimately be defeated and scattered, but the incursion deep into rebel territory has made known the fact of a secret weapon being developed by the Rebellion.
-You are part of this scattered expeditionary fleet. As the rebels hound you down and you try your best to get back to federation space, it is clear that the your group will be wiped out.
-your small fleet is eventually attacked by superior enemy numbers.
-your admiral choose you, the captain of the least threatening ship (an old kestrel) the mission to relay the vital information while the his battered battleship and remaining fleet of cruisers and frigates hold back the enemy
-you salute him and quickly input the next jump.