What are your favorite upgrades / augmentations? [SPOILERS]

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Darkelve

What are your favorite upgrades / augmentations? [SPOILERS]

Postby Darkelve » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:16 am

In the game, you encounter quite a few upgrades, what are your favorite ones?

I forgot the name, but mine is something I picked up in an Engi system, the description was "disperses nanobots throughout the entire ship which heal your crew, although at a slower rate".

Basically, what it did was turn my entire ship into one giant med-bay B)
Awesome upgrade: with that and a lvl3 med-bay, boarders weren't a problem any longer. And when a system was damaged, I could leave the crew inside the room for repairs while they were healing.

What's your favorite?
prime

Re: What are your favorite upgrades / augmentations? [SPOILE

Postby prime » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:40 am

level 2 doors... that one upgrade has saved me countless times.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:55 am

Darkelve wrote:I forgot the name, but mine is something I picked up in an Engi system, the description was "disperses nanobots throughout the entire ship which heal your crew, although at a slower rate".

Basically, what it did was turn my entire ship into one giant med-bay B)
Awesome upgrade: with that and a lvl3 med-bay, boarders weren't a problem any longer. And when a system was damaged, I could leave the crew inside the room for repairs while they were healing.
It's "Engi Medi-bot dispersal" and it actually does NOT scale with medbay upgrades - it's always half as fast as Medbay lvl1 (but it stops working when medbay is powered down to 0).

I don't want to choose my favorite one, because expectations offend God Of Random and His wrath means you'll never get what you want most.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
Madhax

Postby Madhax » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Zoltan Shield augment completely changes the way I play, and is definitely my favorite. Sure, it's pretty trivial against the final boss, but up until that fight it's ridiculously powerful.
Svankensen

Postby Svankensen » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:36 pm

I would say weapon pre igniter wins by an awfull lot in terms of priority to get it. I've sold weapons i could have used to buy it. But prolly my favorite in terms of bang for your buck and the reliability with wich you can get it is the defense drone mark I. Its simply one of the best aditions to your defense, its cheap, can be turned on and off to use the energy in other systems (tipically one level of shield), and comes half of the time with the drone system anyway.
Kenshkrix

Postby Kenshkrix » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:25 pm

For upgrades it'd have to be the drone bay, drones are just incredibly useful.
Regarding augmentations, one game I managed to get 3 automated reloaders with an Ion Blast II, and it was amazing, could disable basically every useful system on an enemy ship (shields, weapons, drone bay, O2, easy)
It is unfortunately easier for me to get a weapon pre-igniter than 2 automated reloaders (Much less 3), which makes it better in almost any case where you aren't using Ion weapons.
GDK

Postby GDK » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:22 am

Cloak is the best thing ever. Teleporter come close second (because dependant on the crew you have to be effective).

For augment, obviously scrap recovery arm is one hell of an upgrade.
Weapon pre ingiter is great, but come on spending 120 scrap for that is really hard.
Neoviper

Postby Neoviper » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:07 am

I second the defense drone, every single ship benefits greatly from having one, whereas the other drones, while situationally useful, don't provide nearly the benefit of the defense drone.

Outside that, pre-igniter is an obvious choice, I've also come to appreciate rock plating. Basically means you have to repair 15% less frequently, which helps out a lot in the early game when you need all the scrap you can get.
Svankensen

Postby Svankensen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:19 am

GDK wrote:Cloak is the best thing ever. Teleporter come close second (because dependant on the crew you have to be effective).

For augment, obviously scrap recovery arm is one hell of an upgrade.
Weapon pre ingiter is great, but come on spending 120 scrap for that is really hard.

Actually, in order to get reliable wins in this game having 80+ scrap in the bank is a necesity until you have a good endgame set. You cant miss the chance to buy a burst laser II if you are low on weapons, or a couple mantis/a teleporter if you wanna board, and missing a Glaive beam is bad if you have a setup that can use it. So, once you are used to having ~100 in the bank, buying a preigniter isnt so though.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:20 am

There was nice topic "how do you rate unique augments":
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3625
Ofc, medi bots are kinda half-unique because of the quest.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!