Hazards in The Last Stand

General discussion about the game.
mqstout

Hazards in The Last Stand

Postby mqstout » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:53 pm

Is it possible for asteroid fields or ion storms to be in the final sector? I'd love to fight a boss battle in one of those environments.
SushaBrancaleone

Re: Hazards in The Last Stand

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:42 pm

never seen it happen
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:59 pm

According to XML, no, it's not possible.

Btw, fighting the boss in an ion storm would be a nightmare. All his weapons are 1 power, which means it's be almost unaffected by the storm, while you'd be losing half of power.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
mqstout

Postby mqstout » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Agent_L, how hard would it be to allow asteroid fields in that sector?
Madhax

Postby Madhax » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:28 pm

Ugh, I don't know how I'd feel about that added layer of screw-you. If the Flagship's last two jumps are through asteroids or ion storms, it would be all but impossible to take it out if you don't get to it fast enough.

I'd rather see some sort of "challenge mode" or "scenario mode" added to the game, one of which could be a fight against the flagship in environmental challenges.
mqstout

Postby mqstout » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:45 pm

I'd dare say that asteroids would actually help you more than the flagship in phase 2 -- they'd keep the defense drone occupied.
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:49 pm

mqstout wrote:I'd dare say that asteroids would actually help you more than the flagship in phase 2 -- they'd keep the defense drone occupied.

They'd also greatly increase the likelihood that the droneswarm would get some beam shots through your shields.

On the flipside, if you took out the flagship's crew in phase 1, then with an unmanned helm they'd get hit by every single asteroid, rendering the fight basically moot (assuming you had the stealth to dodge the first droneswarm, anyway).

The general effect of asteroid fields is to make bad situations go worse very quickly, and that applies to both sides in the fight.
Madhax

Postby Madhax » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:29 am

Another problem with this that I thought of is that Long-Range Sensors is hardly a mandatory augment. However, without it, the possibility of hitting a hazard at the last stand is scary. I'd be furious if I got all the way to the boss only to warp in over a star with solar flares, for example.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:48 am

mqstout wrote:Agent_L, how hard would it be to allow asteroid fields in that sector?
I have absolutely no idea. I'm not the author of the game, I'm just a half-baked hacker who opened data.dat in Notepad.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
mqstout

Postby mqstout » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:20 pm

Madhax wrote:Another problem with this that I thought of is that Long-Range Sensors is hardly a mandatory augment. However, without it, the possibility of hitting a hazard at the last stand is scary. I'd be furious if I got all the way to the boss only to warp in over a star with solar flares, for example.

I believe The Last Stand sector counts as explored for you. You know where the repair beacons are and stores (if any). I guess it doesn't tell you where the ships are, so maybe it's partially explored. It could be generous enough to reveal where the hazards would be on the map and you can make your strategy around that. *shrug*