[TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open source!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
FTLMel

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.88] (Please test!)

Postby FTLMel » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:15 pm

Infinitely staying open? I think you guys need to update your .NET
GeneralStukov

Postby GeneralStukov » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:22 pm

I love the work so far! I do have a suggestion that I hope others are behind on (If this was recommended by OP or anyone else I'm sorry for suggesting it again but..) Is it possible to upload your own ship designs? Like an "Import ship" button that allows you to import a specific ship you've made or found? If the framework is in place that it creates a file that the enemy ships can follow (aka all the rooms and whatnot are in place) then isn't it possible it can be done? I do love being able to edit it but hope for more... :P
FTLMel

Postby FTLMel » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:47 pm

BUG REPORT -

When saving a ship, the shield becomes visually displaced. I believe this can be traced back to a change in the .txt file.

Here are the steps to reproduce:

1) Launche FTLShipEdit.exe
2) Load an existing ship
3) Select the Kestrel (PLAYER_SHIP_HARD)
4) Click Options
5) Click Export txt
6) Save the file, compare it to the original.

When opened up, I noticed that the file has the 3 numbers after "ELLIPSE" changed from

Code: Select all

ELLIPSE

to this

Code: Select all

ELLIPSE

There were other changes as well, but they were minor changes to some doors. Not sure if that is problematic.
kingluke2222

Postby kingluke2222 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:13 pm

Very nice ship editor, best one ( and only one) I've seen so far. Among playing around with it I did notice that when you try to add a weapon to a enemy ship the drop down bar is blank. I don't know if that's a bug or if you just hadn't gotten to them quite yet. Also think you should add a way to change the color of the Kestrel cruiser or another ship. If I find any bugs I'll let you know.

Edit: whoops sorry I posted twice. My Internet connection is terrible so sometimes it won't show the post and I'll end up posting again.
olteonz

Postby olteonz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:38 pm

how to add weapon mounts? ><
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:06 pm

Yeah, the way weapons work on enemy ships is slightly different, and I'm not entirely sure how it works, it seems there's a list of weapons they randomly pick from or something?

Weapon mounts I haven't looked into too much yet, if someone could link / explain exactly how they work, I could probably get them added a bit faster :)
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
Taddington

Postby Taddington » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:24 pm

This thing doesn't work, AT ALL. Followed all the instructions, and still nothing. Please fix your mod.
BoogieMan

Postby BoogieMan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:19 pm

Taddington wrote:This thing doesn't work, AT ALL. Followed all the instructions, and still nothing. Please fix your mod.

I loaded it up and it appears to work. I haven't tried a ship in game yet, but since your post is so vague and unhelpful it can't be known what your problem even is.

Back to the thread:

I have a question, how do you edit the background layout, the grey area that shows where rooms are intended to go? Is that purely cosmetic or does it have a function?

I don't see any instructions on how to actually add an edited ship back into the game, might be worth it to mention the .ftl file you can export can be used by Grognaks Mod Manager.
Last edited by BoogieMan on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Absu

Postby Absu » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:44 pm

@OP: If you're not developing this any more do you think you could release the source files? I just really want to be able to update the blueprints-files directly with the new data as well as create and update the ship-XML file (also TXT-file). It's really annoying to have to realign the ship's image manually in the XML-file.

P.S. Just asking because the OP haven't been updated in some time. I'm sorry if you're working on this. Don't mean to rush. I'm just working on my mod and I'm anxious to do a lot of work with adding lots of ships :)
SGR_Zonemaster

Postby SGR_Zonemaster » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 pm

help the new one keeps crashing and the second one is not a valid win32 program

the first one dose not work as it keeps resetting the file i set it to!