Manually shut a door

General discussion about the game.
Niknud

Manually shut a door

Postby Niknud » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:43 pm

I am not sure if this is in other ships but right now I have lost several ships because I could not shut a door because of door control. I had actually lost 5 crew because of this on a single ship. I had fires raging throughout my ship so I tried to vent. I lost my med pay and door control right after I started venting and had no way to close the doors so those rooms completely lost oxygen. I sent in all my workers 2 at a time to try and repair but with no med bay either it was a completely lost cause.
Warbird

Re: Manually shut a door

Postby Warbird » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:49 pm

I don't recall there being a particular trick to closing them, but I'll make a note to look at it during my next playthrough. You know there is a button beside your doors subsystem that allows you to open and shut all doors on your ship at once, right?
burningmercury

Postby burningmercury » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:09 pm

unfortunately this only works if theyve not done a number on the door's subsystem
Niknud

Postby Niknud » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:32 pm

Yeah I could not repair the subsystem for my doors so I could not stop my oxygen from venting. The fact that the med bay and the door system were not only down but without oxygen there was no way back for me. If you could send someone on a "suicide" mission to close a door in a oxygen depleted room it would of saved the rest of my crew and my ship.
Gimboid

Postby Gimboid » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:59 pm

Niknud wrote:Yeah I could not repair the subsystem for my doors so I could not stop my oxygen from venting. The fact that the med bay and the door system were not only down but without oxygen there was no way back for me. If you could send someone on a "suicide" mission to close a door in a oxygen depleted room it would of saved the rest of my crew and my ship.

That's a great suggestion, being able to send a crew member to interact with a door like they do a room.

On the other hand though, at the point they are dying from lack of oxygen and your O2 system is down, would that make a difference?
Niknud

Postby Niknud » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:45 pm

Gimboid wrote:
Niknud wrote:Yeah I could not repair the subsystem for my doors so I could not stop my oxygen from venting. The fact that the med bay and the door system were not only down but without oxygen there was no way back for me. If you could send someone on a "suicide" mission to close a door in a oxygen depleted room it would of saved the rest of my crew and my ship.

That's a great suggestion, being able to send a crew member to interact with a door like they do a room.

On the other hand though, at the point they are dying from lack of oxygen and your O2 system is down, would that make a difference?

My O2 system was working I just couldn't stop oxygen from venting into space in both my med station and door control rooms
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:54 pm

Does the med station heal you at a rate lower than that of the loss of health due to suffocation?
ezryder

Postby ezryder » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:27 pm

If you fully upgrade it on the circle cruiser (has the nano-bots healing augment) you can stand your guys in the med bay and they will be stable.

I found this out when my O2 was destroyed and I couldn't get it repaired before my oxygen hit 0%.

I had 2 guys at about half health in the med bay. After 10 minutes of waiting I sent them one at a time on a desperate run to repair the O2.

The last guy (human) got it to orange before he died. :lol:
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:05 am

Personally, I LOVE the fact that a "stupid", "seemingly useless" thing like a damage door control can ultimately doom your entire ship if you didn't notice the potential issue early enough. I wish there was more stuff like that.

That being said, we've considered the whole "letting players interact with doors by using crew members" idea but it just didn't feel great. Too much mini-micro management and it removed that love I just mentioned. But hey, maybe there's a perfect solution in there somewhere.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Samson

Postby Samson » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:25 pm

I'd just like to chime in saying I love the game. Out of a dozen playthroughs I've only died from being blown up twice. The rest were all deaths due to asphyxiation. The first was my own fault by hitting "Open All Doors" instead of "close" when I was trying to deal with multiple fires, boarders and a dead O2 system.

Love it.