[TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open source!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Darkfrost

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.88] (Please test!)

Postby Darkfrost » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:53 pm

Haven't heard any bug reports in a while, which is good :D So it should be pretty stable now, I'll start adding some of the missing features
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
hellcatv

Postby hellcatv » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:08 pm

I ran into a few issues---though some of them could be errors I made when using the system.

I started by making a ship and exporting it as an FTL.

The image was offset from the model even though I carefully aligned them in the program. A .xml file was missing from the "Export to FTL" (which may be because you haven't finished that part yet) so I just copied kestrel.xml to basestar.xml and bunched it together.

Also the model was in the far bottom right on the screen during combat and the jump star wasn't aligned.

Turns out I forgot a door, so I copied the ship back into the extracted folder and loaded it again by loading the kestrel.
Unfortunately when I added that door and saved, some of the rooms resized themselves so they no longer connected. these problems are shown in http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/users ... ar-0.3.ftl and http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/users ... ar-0.4.ftl my solution to this was to paste the doors from the current export with the rooms from the previous export
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/users ... ar-0.5.ftl
But with that solution many of the rooms aren't properly pathable. For instance once send a person away from the pilot's room I cannot reenter the pilot's room.
it could be that whatever is causing the rooms to resize when I save/load is also causing pathing issues---or it could be that the strange star shape was not allotted for in the program design.
hellcatv

Postby hellcatv » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:13 pm

The offset problem looks like this

and when I click from the cockpit to the engine room or back into the cockpit, FTL prints this to the console:

Did not find a path using Dijstra, this is bad.
robochibi

Postby robochibi » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:59 pm

Cant get it to work. your instructions were kind of vague - I downloaded ftldat, it automatically put itself into its own folder. Than I went to extract files and it wants me to direct it somewhere, i directed it to the 2 .dat files located in the original game. didnt work, i used the default paths that it gave me too and that didnt work either...
darkmaplepro

Postby darkmaplepro » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:04 am

Ya, uhh, i get the A CMD box after i extract the files that goes away immediately followed by absolutely nothing :?:
robochibi

Postby robochibi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:36 am

Ok, I fixed it - I had to copy the contents of the FTLdat folder into the FTLedit folder. Apparently the installer automatically assumes where you installed FTLedit.
robochibi

Postby robochibi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:32 am

So a few major bugs occur: one in the designer and two in the game itself.

1. Im not sure what causes this, so far it seems random but occasionally an icon will be stuck to the cursor as if you are placing a special room but it does not go away no matter what you click on whether an empty room or anything. It also disables the right menu so you end up having to restart.

2. This one im sure you already know about but there is an offset issue, for some reason the rooms will not snap to the grid appropriately in-game.

3. So I finally did manage to get the rooms to snap to the grid but now the ship was too low on the screen and the shields were not displaying properly, Instead of vieweing shields it was just a big black block that surrounded the ship. It seems like its probably related to #2 bug.

Either way, keep up the good work. I do hope that this mod will be integrated in with the game somehow and developed so that the ship comes out balanced and not too powerful for the beginning of the game.
Potatoe

Postby Potatoe » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:59 pm

How do you choose areas for weapons to go?
winterpwner

Postby winterpwner » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:10 am

Managed to finally get her working tonight. Will have lots of fun modding ships.

However, just a question: How do you resize rooms? Thanks.
DarkKenji

Postby DarkKenji » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:47 pm

I finally made a working ship. The only thing I was wondering was, is it possible to make the shield more centered around my ship?

It just needs to be a few inches to the left lol, Poor "Kestrel Z"